Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting validating variables (numeric) Post 302097719 by pjd1 on Tuesday 28th of November 2006 07:28:44 AM
Old 11-28-2006
validating variables (numeric)

Hi

I need to get a user to enter a number (an exchange rate) into a script. I have the following:

#!/bin/ksh
echo "Enter exchange rate:"
read EX_RATE
if [ -z "`echo \"$EX_RATE\" | tr -d \"[:digit:]\"`" ]
then
echo "Well done - only numeric here"
else
echo "Not so well done - there is NON numeric stuff here!"
fi

This works fine except when I try to enter a decimal number when it exits because the decimal point is obviously non-numeric. I have looked at the other class keywords and there is not one that covers decimals.

Can anyone help me out here?

thanks

Paul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

validating input

how do i validate y script so that it only accepts values between 1 and 3 and against any character input, cause at the moment i can only validate against numbers outside 1 and 3 but not characters cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruffenator
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

validating userid

What's wrong with this syntax? It's part of my 'if' statement but it doesn't seem to pass and it keeps going to the 'else' part. I thought it says that userid must start with a non-numeric character and is between 6 and 10 characters long (alphanumeric). $userid|grep -Eq '^?\{6,10\}+$' if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating $1 and $2 before using

Hi there, I'm trying to validate my $1 and $2 before I use them in the sqlplus update, I think I have the validation rules set correctly??? however when I test my script, it jumps straight into the sql. It doesn't seem to validate the vars....even when I know they are incorrect. if ; then ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating variables in shells script

All Can you help me to validate a variable only for string and digit. That is variable should either fully alphabets or digits. Please send me result to my mail id also: REMOVED Thanx in advance Regards Deepak Xavier (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeepakXavier
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating data

I have a file like the following aaaaa00005bbbbb aaaaa00108bbbbb The code "00005" and "00108" need to be validated and the list of valid codes are stored in a database. While I loop through the file, should call a sql statement for every records to do the validation? or is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joanneho
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating a input file for numeric and character

i have a input file like this 001|rahim|bajaj|20090102 while reading the file i need to check whether the first column is a number second column is a name is there any methodology to check for the same thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for validating

HI, I am trying to write a validation script as below awk '($1=="ABC"&&$2="XYZ" ,then check the value in $8,$10 these columns should not be null. so their should be some corresponding value n the $8 and $10 column,if their is no value the script has to give error saying that at a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increase two numeric variables incrementally together

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help with what is probably a fairly easy problem. I have two variables, i is between 1-5, j is between 11-15 I'd like to produce this: 1_11 2_12 3_13 4_14 5_15 Each number goes up incrementally with the other. But my shoddy code is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
5 Replies
DECHEX(3)								 1								 DECHEX(3)

dechex - Decimal to hexadecimal

SYNOPSIS
string dechex (int $number) DESCRIPTION
Returns a string containing a hexadecimal representation of the given unsigned $number argument. The largest number that can be converted is PHP_INT_MAX * 2 + 1 (or -1): on 32-bit platforms, this will be 4294967295 in decimal, which results in dechex(3) returning ffffffff. PARAMETERS
o $number - The decimal value to convert. As PHP's integer type is signed, but dechex(3) deals with unsigned integers, negative integers will be treated as though they were unsigned. RETURN VALUES
Hexadecimal string representation of $number. EXAMPLES
Example #1 dechex(3) example <?php echo dechex(10) . " "; echo dechex(47); ?> The above example will output: a 2f Example #2 dechex(3) example with large integers <?php // The output below assumes a 32-bit platform. // Note that the output is the same for all values. echo dechex(-1)." "; echo dechex(PHP_INT_MAX * 2 + 1)." "; echo dechex(pow(2, 32) - 1)." "; ?> The above example will output: ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff SEE ALSO
hexdec(3), decbin(3), decoct(3), base_convert(3). PHP Documentation Group DECHEX(3)