Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disks broke?
Operating Systems AIX disks broke? Post 302097322 by kvanelshocht on Thursday 23rd of November 2006 08:51:08 AM
Old 11-23-2006
disks broke?

hay

I'm new in the AIX-environment. Right now i'm testing some stuff out. But i can't test the LVM-part which is (to me) very important. I have 2 disks in my testmachine but it seems only 1 is working wel. I'll show you the output below of the disks...
hdisk0 = in good condition
hdisk2 = broke???

# lspv
hdisk0 00086939bd9ffc58 rootvg active
hdisk2 00086939fbf7df92 None

# lscfg -vl hdisk2
hdisk2 P1/Z1-A6 16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive (18200 MB)

Manufacturer................IBM
Machine Type and Model......DDYS-T18350N
FRU Number..................07N3776
ROS Level and ID............53393348
Serial Number...............4EY72879
EC Level....................F79851
Part Number.................07N3811
Device Specific.(Z0)........000003029F00013A
Device Specific.(Z1)........07N4921
Device Specific.(Z2)........0933
Device Specific.(Z3)........00285
Device Specific.(Z4)........0001
Device Specific.(Z5)........22
Device Specific.(Z6)........F79851

# lsdev -Cc disk
hdisk0 Available 10-60-00-5,0 16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive
hdisk1 Defined 10-60-00-4,0 Other SCSI Disk Drive
hdisk2 Available 10-60-00-6,0 16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive

# lsattr -El hdisk2
pvid 00086939fbf7df920000000000000000
Physical volume identifier False
queue_depth 3 Queue DEPTH False
size_in_mb 18200 Size in Megabytes False
max_transfer 0x40000
Maximum TRANSFER Size True
unique_id 23084EY728790CDDYS-T18350N03IBMscsi Unique device identifier False
PR_key_value none N/A True
reserve_policy single_path N/A True
PCM PCM/friend/scsiscsd N/A True
dvc_support Device Support False
algorithm fail_over Algorithm True

when running diag on the disk:
A PROBLEM WAS DETECTED ON do 23 nov 14:48:11 2006 801014

The Service Request Number(s)/Probable Cause(s)
(causes are listed in descending order of probability):

63C-132: A Disk Drive hardware error occurred.
hdisk2 FRU: 07N3776 P1/Z1-A6
16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive (18200 MB)

Use Enter to continue.

when trying to make a vg and include this disk:

# mkvg testvg hdisk2
0516-306 mkvg: Unable to find physical volume testvg in the Device
Configuration Database.
0516-862 mkvg: Unable to create volume group.

Is this disk really broke? Is it really the disk?

thanks for replying!

cheerz

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I think I broke it....

I was trying to install gcc on my solaris 2.6 box... and I kept encountering an error that was probably due to the lack of allocated space to the /var/spool/pkg... For some reason... I'm still trying to figure this out... I make symbolic links to every instace of /spool I could find... I then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changed the hostname/IP and broke it (AIX)

A buddy of mine bought an older RS/6000 CAD workstation runing AIX to learn on, and had me put it on his LAN at home. I used smit to change the hostname/IP. After a reboot I try to login, and get a message saying that DTMessage cannot start, and gives a changed hostname as one of the possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

i broke CDE

i honestly dont know what i did... considering i did many things... but now when i run a tightvnc session, i don't get the CDE desktop anymore, i get something that looks like an empty screen with a single terminal window... to make things worse, i can't do anything with that terminal window. it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

4. Solaris

GNU libjpeg broke cde-login over XDMCP

Hi all, I was building x11vnc on Solaris 10 SPARC and needed libjpeg, so I built and installed that in the right path /usr/sfw/lib. Now I can't get the dtgreet screen on my local network using XDMCP. I strongly suspect the library installation broke something (conflict with libjpeg in /lib or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deSitter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a find/replace perl script thats broke

Hello Folks, #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Find; open F,shift or die $!; my %ip=map/(\S+)\s+(\S+)/,<F>; close F; find sub{ if( -f ){ local @ARGV=($_); local $^I=""; while( <> ){ !/#/ && s/(\w+)\.fs\.rich\.us/$ip{$1}/g; print; } }... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
8 Replies

6. AIX

X Forwarding broke

X Forwarding has quit working on only 2 of our AIX Servers. ssh -X -vvv host That shows it requesting the X11 forward auth spoofing. No errors. echo $DISPLAY shows the display variable However when I execute xclock.... nothing... Kinda like it just hangs and for some reasons it does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gibby13
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Ssh connection broke after patching

Hi, I have a user - e3t3user on two Solaris-10 servers. We did patching source server and after that e3t3user is not able to ssh from one server to another. Passwordless ssh connection is setup between both servers (with ssh keys share). I am not able to figure out, where it is failing. Here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

8. Solaris

LDAP broke after patching

Greetings...My first post here... I am facing issue on a x86 Solaris server, running on VMWare. We have to install latest patch cluster. I took a snapshot (on VMWare side), so we have backup copy. Downloaded and installed latest patch cluster. Post patching, I am not able to login on server with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
3 Replies
devinfo(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       devinfo(1M)

NAME
devinfo - print device specific information SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/devinfo -i device /usr/sbin/devinfo -p device DESCRIPTION
The devinfo command is used to print device specific information about disk devices on standard out. The command can only be used by the superuser. OPTIONS
-i Prints the following device information: o Device name o Software version (not supported and prints as 0) o Drive id number (not supported and prints as 0) o Device blocks per cylinder o Device bytes per block o Number of device partitions with a block size greater than zero -p Prints the following device partition information: o Device name o Device major and minor numbers (in hexadecimal) o Partition start block o Number of blocks allocated to the partition o Partition flag o Partition tag This command is used by various other commands to obtain device specific information for the making of file systems and determining parti- tion information. If the device cannot be opened, an error message is reported. OPERANDS
device Device name. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful operation. 2 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
prtvtoc(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 8 May 1997 devinfo(1M)