Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help required for cat command Post 302097293 by mahalakshmi on Thursday 23rd of November 2006 05:08:55 AM
Old 11-23-2006
Help required for cat command

Hi,
I had written the following script to find the list of files with *.ksh in a directory. and store it in a temp file.

I want to loop through the file temp and list the contents. I had used cat temp. But its giving Cat and temp as the output.

Do help me out.

Thanks

find . -name '*.ksh' -print > temp

for i in cat temp

do
echo 'valiue is ': $i
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAT command

All - how do i save the file after i used CAT command line to modify? Thanks :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

Dear All I have two text files File1.txt and File2.txt . I am concatenating the two files and making it as single file Cat_File.txt. Now i need to keep joined file in two different path. that is I need to use cat command only once ,but store joined file in two different locations. Since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Help Required: Command to find IP address and command executed of a user

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would figure out who has run which command and their IP. As i dont have any clue as to which commands would do this job, i request some gurus to help me on this. Thanks Vishwas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedout
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

I believe I used the cat command to append a file beside another file (instead of below it) but I did not document it any where and I can't remember exactly how I did it. Has anyone else done this? I have tried all the cat options individually with no luck. It may be a combination of options. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

8. AIX

cat command

Hi. How can i write a command on AIX like the one i did at linux that find string in a file and show me that string, and return 3 lines before and 4 lines after that string. my linux command is: /bin/cat <filename> | tail -150 | grep -B2 -A8 "<string to look for>" Example: /bin/cat ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yechi_r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need on cat command

I have two files as below 1.txt AA 123 CC 145 DD 567 2.txt AA 111 YY 128 CC 144 FF 222 DD 777 ZZ 875 basically 1.txt is updated file, if i do cat 1.txt 2.txt output should be as below o/p (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tecnical_help12
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help need on cat command

I have two files as below 1.txt AA 123 CC 145 DD 567 2.txt AA 111 YY 128 CC 144 FF 222 DD 777 ZZ 875 basically 1.txt is updated file, if i do cat 1.txt 2.txt output should be as below o/p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tecnical_help12
4 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] template DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes the given file name template and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with at least 6 of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp testing roughly 26 ** 6 combinations. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp utility exits with a value of 0 on success, and 1 on failure. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi Note that one can also check to see that $TMPFILE is zero length instead of checking $?. This would allow the check to be done later one in the script (since $? would get clobbered by the next shell command). SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3), mktemp(3) HISTORY
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD. BSD
November, 20, 1996 BSD