Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looping through the directory Post 302097140 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 22nd of November 2006 03:09:37 AM
Old 11-22-2006
Please read the rules of the forum Smilie

Looping through the directory -- does that mean all the files to be transferred starting from a specific directory ???

If that is the requirement, use find command to list all the files that are to be transferred and build a ftp script for that.

this could be done on the run and no multiple manual intervention would be needed.

With the available list of selected files,
prepare ftp commands like

put file1
put file2

this is just a pointer Smilie

hope this helps Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with looping

Hi, Actually I have a file which consists data . for eg names. Then I want my sql query to read this file and produce the output. Currently I am using this FOR EG : FILENAME is NAMES for i in `cat NAMES` { sqlplus -s $CONNECTID << EOF spool rooh set heading off select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm files in a directory, looping, counting, then exit

I am trying to write a script that will look for a file in a directory, then remove it. I need it to loop until it has removed a certain number of files. Is it better to do a repeat or to list each file in a pattern? Files will be numbered like RAF.01.*, RAF.02.*, etc. Thanks, James (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JporterFDX
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

for looping

I run into a issue when I try to do sorting of the following with ascending order, one round of for looping seems not working, anyone knows how to use shell or perl? $array = (5,0,3,2,7,9,8) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on looping using if/for or while

Hello, where can I get usefull information on the use of looping with for , if and while with extensive examples. Also use of variables in scripts (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam4now
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping

Hi, Now I have written a script which sorts the records in the file and splits them according to some condition. Now, I need to modify the script so that it reads all the files one after the other and does the sorting & splitting. Pls help me in reading all the files in a directory and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunitha_edi82
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a looping script for all files in directory

I have three different linux command scripts that I run for 20+ files in one directory. it goes like this FIRST SCRIPT: grep 'something' -w file > newfile1 . . . grep 'something -w file > newfile20 then I take all these 'newfileN' and run this: awk 'BEGIN {... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping

Hi evryone i need a help . i have a file xcv.the content is : accelerate i want a script which will run 1000 times in loop and changing the value to accelerate to acceler in 1st loop and in 2nd loop it will be again accelerate and so on . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping inside directories based on a file which contains file directory list

Hi All, Please help. I have got a file which contains a listing of a file and some directories after it, one by one. I am calling this file xyz.txt here file1 dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4 file2 dir5 dir6 dir7 dir8 file3 dir9 dir10 dir11 dir12 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Piyush Jakra
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through entire directory and count unique values

Hello, I`m a complete newbie to coding, please help with this problem. I have multiple files in a directory, I have to loop through the contents of each file and extract number of unique isoforms in that file. Each file is tab delimited and only the line with the first parent (column 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies
MV(1)							      General Commands Manual							     MV(1)

NAME
mv - move or rename files SYNOPSIS
mv [ -i ] [ -f ] [ - ] file1 file2 mv [ -i ] [ -f ] [ - ] file ... directory DESCRIPTION
Mv moves (changes the name of) file1 to file2. If file2 already exists, it is removed before file1 is moved. If file2 has a mode which forbids writing, mv prints the mode (see chmod(2)) and reads the standard input to obtain a line; if the line begins with y, the move takes place; if not, mv exits. In the second form, one or more files (plain files or directories) are moved to the directory with their original file-names. Mv refuses to move a file onto itself. Options: -i stands for interactive mode. Whenever a move is to supercede an existing file, the user is prompted by the name of the file followed by a question mark. If he answers with a line starting with 'y', the move continues. Any other reply prevents the move from occur- ring. -f stands for force. This option overrides any mode restrictions or the -i switch. - means interpret all the following arguments to mv as file names. This allows file names starting with minus. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ln(1) BUGS
If file1 and file2 lie on different file systems, mv must copy the file and delete the original. In this case the owner name becomes that of the copying process and any linking relationship with other files is lost. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 MV(1)