Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Get user name from ip address Post 302097106 by Tornado on Tuesday 21st of November 2006 05:21:53 PM
Old 11-21-2006
Or just use ping..

# ping -s 192.168.1.1 2 2
PING 192.168.1.1: 2 data bytes
10 bytes from mercury (192.168.1.1): icmp_seq=0.
10 bytes from mercury (192.168.1.1): icmp_seq=1.

----192.168.1.1 PING Statistics----
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
#

This shows that IP 192.168.1.1 is mercury
Tornado

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locate a user by their IP address

We have a user that is sending rather large print jobs to a windows printer, we need to track them down and advise a sensible approach to printing. The only thing that shows up in the windows print manager is the IP address of the source. Is this achievable? :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace <Address> with a var input by user

Hi, All here is not a full version script, just post a sample. #/bin/bash read -p 'Addr: ' addr sed 's/<Address>/'"$addr"'/' pf.mod>$1 If the input string include `/', sed will return error message. I know that s/// can be replaced with s::: or s!!!, etc, but the input var can accept... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r2007
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remote user ip address

can anybody help me to get a remote user ip address in SCO 5.0.5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naushad
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can kernel process access user address space ?

Can kernel process access user address space ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx?

Hi, I'm brand new here and looking for a solution: I'm using mail or mailx. The default reply address is «myshortusername@mylongusername.local» which makes absolutely no sense for anybody receiving my emails. But how do I change it? There seem to be many solutions but none for Mac OS X.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gczychi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email sent to multiple user address?

hi all, This is user that i want sent the email: Email = allan@gmail.com bruce8899@gmail.com Chris@gmail.com echo "$dir : $filecount is over the limit $limit " | mailx -s "${SUBJECT}" "${email}" However it cannot sent to 3 user..only sent to 1 user email address. Any 1 can help me... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: proghack
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the Ip address of the user who deleted files

Hi, There were a few files deleted from a server by user xyz. The file names are:- /oraextME4/oradata/ME11G22/TEST_IMPORT_01.dbf /oraextME4/oradata/ME11G22/RKVITR1_03.dbf /oraextME4/oradata/ME11G22/TEST_IMPORT_02.dbf need to know the ip address of the terminal from which that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhinav Jaiswal
10 Replies

9. Programming

MySQL select user with the same IP address

Dear community, I woul like to make a query to output all the users having the same IP address. The table is somethig like: name logged_ip ==== ========= user1 127.0.0.1 user2 127.0.0.2 user3 127.0.0.3 user4 127.0.0.1 user5 127.0.0.2 user6 127.0.0.5I used this query... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies
netid(4)							   File Formats 							  netid(4)

NAME
netid - netname database SYNOPSIS
/etc/netid DESCRIPTION
The netid file is a local source of information on mappings between netnames (see secure_rpc(3NSL)) and user ids or hostnames in the local domain. The netid file can be used in conjunction with, or instead of, the network source: NIS or NIS+. The publickey entry in the nss- witch.conf (see nsswitch.conf(4)) file determines which of these sources will be queried by the system to translate netnames to local user ids or hostnames. Each entry in the netid file is a single line of the form: netname uid:gid, gid, gid... or netname 0:hostname The first entry associates a local user id with a netname. The second entry associates a hostname with a netname. The netid file field descriptions are as follows: netname The operating system independent network name for the user or host. netname has one of two formats. The format used to specify a host is of the form: unix.hostname@domain where hostname is the name of the host and domain is the network domain name. The format used to specify a user id is of the form: unix.uid@domain where uid is the numerical id of the user and domain is the network domain name. uid The numerical id of the user (see passwd(4)). When specifying a host name, uid is always zero. group The numerical id of the group the user belongs to (see group(4)). Several groups, separated by commas, may be listed for a single uid. hostname The local hostname (see hosts(4)). Blank lines are ignored. Any part of a line to the right of a `#' symbol is treated as a comment. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample netid file. Here is a sample netid file: unix.789@West.Sun.COM 789:30,65 unix.123@Bldg_xy.Sun.COM 123:20,1521 unix.candlestick@campus1.bayarea.EDU 0:candlestick FILES
/etc/group groups file /etc/hosts hosts database /etc/netid netname database /etc/passwd password file /etc/publickey public key database SEE ALSO
netname2user(3NSL), secure_rpc(3NSL), group(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), publickey(4) SunOS 5.10 23 May 1994 netid(4)