Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Get user name from ip address Post 302097002 by blowtorch on Tuesday 21st of November 2006 05:09:01 AM
Old 11-21-2006
There are a few ways.
Not using C: Use actual unix commands instead of C library functions. Two of the methods are using grep on the /etc/hosts file, and using nslookup/dig. In a C program, you can use these via popen and fread/fgets/fscanf on the file pointer returned by popen.
Using C: Take a look at the man page of gethostbyname/gethostbyaddr.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locate a user by their IP address

We have a user that is sending rather large print jobs to a windows printer, we need to track them down and advise a sensible approach to printing. The only thing that shows up in the windows print manager is the IP address of the source. Is this achievable? :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace <Address> with a var input by user

Hi, All here is not a full version script, just post a sample. #/bin/bash read -p 'Addr: ' addr sed 's/<Address>/'"$addr"'/' pf.mod>$1 If the input string include `/', sed will return error message. I know that s/// can be replaced with s::: or s!!!, etc, but the input var can accept... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r2007
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remote user ip address

can anybody help me to get a remote user ip address in SCO 5.0.5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naushad
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can kernel process access user address space ?

Can kernel process access user address space ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx?

Hi, I'm brand new here and looking for a solution: I'm using mail or mailx. The default reply address is «myshortusername@mylongusername.local» which makes absolutely no sense for anybody receiving my emails. But how do I change it? There seem to be many solutions but none for Mac OS X.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gczychi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email sent to multiple user address?

hi all, This is user that i want sent the email: Email = allan@gmail.com bruce8899@gmail.com Chris@gmail.com echo "$dir : $filecount is over the limit $limit " | mailx -s "${SUBJECT}" "${email}" However it cannot sent to 3 user..only sent to 1 user email address. Any 1 can help me... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: proghack
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the Ip address of the user who deleted files

Hi, There were a few files deleted from a server by user xyz. The file names are:- /oraextME4/oradata/ME11G22/TEST_IMPORT_01.dbf /oraextME4/oradata/ME11G22/RKVITR1_03.dbf /oraextME4/oradata/ME11G22/TEST_IMPORT_02.dbf need to know the ip address of the terminal from which that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhinav Jaiswal
10 Replies

9. Programming

MySQL select user with the same IP address

Dear community, I woul like to make a query to output all the users having the same IP address. The table is somethig like: name logged_ip ==== ========= user1 127.0.0.1 user2 127.0.0.2 user3 127.0.0.3 user4 127.0.0.1 user5 127.0.0.2 user6 127.0.0.5I used this query... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies
qmail-lspawn(8)                                               System Manager's Manual                                              qmail-lspawn(8)

NAME
qmail-lspawn - schedule local deliveries SYNOPSIS
qmail-lspawn defaultdelivery DESCRIPTION
qmail-lspawn reads a series of local delivery commands from descriptor 0, invokes qmail-local to perform the deliveries, and prints the results to descriptor 1. It passes defaultdelivery to qmail-local as the default delivery instruction. qmail-lspawn invokes qmail-local asynchronously, so the results may not be in the same order as the commands. For each recipient address, qmail-lspawn finds out which local user controls that address. It first checks the qmail-users mechanism; if the address is not listed there, it invokes qmail-getpw. qmail-lspawn then runs qmail-local under the user's uid and gid. It does not set up any supplementary groups. qmail-lspawn treats an empty mailbox name as a trash address. SEE ALSO
envelopes(5), qmail-users(5), qmail-getpw(8), qmail-send(8), qmail-local(8) qmail-lspawn(8)