Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX System paramerter for Disk performance Post 302096752 by gogogo on Friday 17th of November 2006 08:11:34 PM
Old 11-17-2006
Is it the only direct way to fix the question?

File system buffer tuning
The following ioo and vmstat -v parameters can be useful in detecting I/O buffer bottlenecks and tuning disk I/O:

Counters of blocked I/Os due to a shortage of buffers
The vmstat -v command displays counters of blocked I/Os due to a shortage of buffers in various kernel components. Here is part of an example of the vmstat -v output:
0 paging space I/Os blocked with no psbuf
2740 filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf
0 external pager filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf

The paging space I/Os blocked with no psbuf and the filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf counters are incriminated whenever a bufstruct is unavailable and the VMM puts a thread on the VMM wait list. The external pager filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf counter is incriminated whenever a bufstruct on an Enhanced JFS file system is unavailable
The numfsbufs parameter
If there are many simultaneous or large I/Os to a filesystem or if there are large sequential I/Os to a file system, it is possible that the I/Os might bottleneck at the file system level while waiting for bufstructs. You can increase the number of bufstructs per file system, known as numfsbufs, with the ioo command. The value takes effect only when a file system is mounted; so if you change the value, you must then unmount and mount the file system again. The default value for numfsbufs is currently 93 bufstructs per file system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

optimizing disk performance

I have some questions regarding disk perfomance, and what I can do to make it just a little (or much :)) more faster. From what I've heard the first partitions will be faster than the later ones because tracks at the outer edges of a hard drive platter simply moves faster. But I've also read in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
4 Replies

2. AIX

disk performance

Hello, I have a aix 570 system with san disk. I do write test of performance in a lv with four disk. While the test I run filemon tools for trace the disk activity. The outputs of filemon are at the en of this message. I see my lV(logical volume) throughput at 100 meg by second. 2 of 4 disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hugues
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.2 5.3 disk performance exerciser tool

I'm search for a disk exerciser / load tool like iometer, iozone, diskx for IBM AIX 5.2 and 5.3 Because of a very bad disk performance on several AIX systems, I need to have a tool which is able to generate a disk load on my local and SAN disks. Does somebody knows a kind of tool which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: funsje
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

Linux disk performance

I am getting absolutely dreadful iowait stats on my disks when I am trying to install some applications. I have 2 physical disks on which I have created 2 separate logical volume groups and a logical volume in each. I have dumped some stats as below My dual core CPU is not being over utilised... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

5. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

6. Solaris

disk performance

What tools/utilities do you use to generate metrics on disk i/o throughput on Solaris. For example, if I want to see the i/o rate of random or sequential r/w. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

7. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paramerter pass for function(sub routine) need help

Hi, Please help me here while passing the paramert to fuction i am facing problem. i tryied passing 7 PARAMeter in side single quote,double quate even tried tild sign not working. how can assign it properly . usage () { typeset -i NumPARAMs=$1 typeset -i PARAM1=$2 typeset PARAM2=$3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitindreamz
3 Replies

9. Linux

Disk Performance

I have a freshly installed Oracle Linux 7.1 ( akin to RHEL ) server. However after installing some Oracle software, I have noticed that my hard disk light is continually on and the system performance is slow. So I check out SAR and IOSTAT lab3:/root>iostat Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

10. AIX

AIX lpar bad disk I/O performance - 4k per IO limitation ?

Hi Guys, I have fresh new installed VIO 2.2.3.70 on a p710, 3 physical SAS disks, rootvg on hdisk0 and 3 VIO clients through vscsi, AIX7.1tl4 AIX6.1tl9 RHEL6.5ppc, each lpar has its rootvg installed on a LV on datavg (hdisk2) mapped to vhost0,1,2 There is no vg on hdisk1, I use it for my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
1 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)