Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Changing fname in /proc filesystem Post 302096736 by jim mcnamara on Friday 17th of November 2006 02:59:16 PM
Old 11-17-2006
1. You can't rename them because they are creations of the kernel.

2. I just tried this - you can create a symlink to the file with ln -s to a directory in /proc, and it works correctly.

??
3. Your first program could read the /proc/whatever/file into a local file then give that file name to prog2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about /proc

hi, we all know /proc is about the information of active process, I have just read an artical which said you can use /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/net./proc/meminfo etc. to know about some hardware information .But I want to know how to use with command line? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fuqiang1976
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Changing Filesystem size.

Hi there, can i change the size of filesystem afterwards. i want give some more space to my /export/home and want take some space from /opt. is it possible in solaris ? Any help will be appriciated. Abid (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing userID and Changing group and GID

Hello, I want to write a ksh script about changing UID and changing group with GID. There are multiple servers i want to perform that job. linux1 linux2 linux3 linux4 linux5 ...... . . . . . 1.) How can i enter "password" in script rather asking me? I was trying this... ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

_/proc/stat vs /proc/uptime

Hi, I am trying to calculate the CPU Usage by getting the difference between the idle time reported by /proc/stat at 2 different intervals. Now the 4th entry in the first line of /proc/stat will give me the 'idle time'. But I also came across /proc/uptime that gives me 2 entries : 1st one as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coderd
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 /proc making filesystem full

Hi all, I have a solaris 10 box on which /proc is a part of / The problem is that my / partition is getting full mainly due to /proc getting a lot of files. My question is : Can I delete files/directories in /proc directory. If not what could be the other way round to clean up /proc so... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
18 Replies

6. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

7. Linux

Tripwire Nightware on Linux (proc filesystem)

Hello, I am having a nightmare with Tripwire on Linux..... I cannot get it to ignore the /proc filesystem, which I want to completely ignore for now Has anyone here successfully configured Tripwire on Linux and completed ignored the /proc filesystem ? If so, please reply and tell me how... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

10. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies
GIT-MV(1)							    Git Manual								 GIT-MV(1)

NAME
git-mv - Move or rename a file, a directory, or a symlink SYNOPSIS
git mv <options>... <args>... DESCRIPTION
This script is used to move or rename a file, directory or symlink. git mv [-v] [-f] [-n] [-k] <source> <destination> git mv [-v] [-f] [-n] [-k] <source> ... <destination directory> In the first form, it renames <source>, which must exist and be either a file, symlink or directory, to <destination>. In the second form, the last argument has to be an existing directory; the given sources will be moved into this directory. The index is updated after successful completion, but the change must still be committed. OPTIONS
-f, --force Force renaming or moving of a file even if the target exists -k Skip move or rename actions which would lead to an error condition. An error happens when a source is neither existing nor controlled by GIT, or when it would overwrite an existing file unless -f is given. -n, --dry-run Do nothing; only show what would happen -v, --verbose Report the names of files as they are moved. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-MV(1)