Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding folders in runtime
Top Forums Programming finding folders in runtime Post 302096677 by jim mcnamara on Friday 17th of November 2006 07:03:50 AM
Old 11-17-2006
Inside a C program, call ftw - see man ftw

If it's in a shell script use find
Code:
find /path -type d  -name ramesh1

If you tell us little more we can give you better information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backing up Folders without some folders...;)

I am in a fix....... I have to write a backup script to backup say Folder A. Folder A contains n folders 1,2 ,3 .....n. my script should copy A without folder 2 & 3. Is there anyway I can do it without writing individual copy commands???? Please help.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chimpu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding string at runtime

Hi I am creating a script in shell (sh), in which i will enter a string at runtime. let i will enter the string asdfergtdev_DEV2(or DEV,DEV3,DEV1 etc). i want it will find DEV2(it will be only find DEV2 at last 4 digit 3 in case only DEV,no metter if before it, there is dev) and append _qqq01... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inderpunj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding duplicate lines and deleting folders based on them

Hi, I have research data, which is organized to 100 folders numbered 00-99. I have many sets of 100 folders, for different values of initial parameters. For some reason, the computer that ran the program to gather the data, didn't always create a unique seed for each folder. I anticipated that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jopi
1 Replies

5. Linux

Finding folders/files in an RPM file

Is there a way to find a specifc folder or filename in an RPM archive? I have dozens to go through and the hunt-and-peck method is too slow. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricksj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making 99 folders 99 folders deep

I am trying to make a unix shell script that will make 99 folders 99 deep (counting the first level folders). So far i have made it make the first 99 folders and 99 more in all of the folders. The only problem is the only way i have found is copying and pasting part of the script over and over and... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: YukonAppleGeek
18 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding files in unix and excluding certain folders

hi good day I am using redhat linux. Is there a better utility than the 'find' command to search for files I am trying to search through and enitre directory such as /repos for a files that have 'UAP' in it. However there are some '.step' folders littered throughout the /repos folder at varying... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnstrong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for finding average runtime of other script

so I've made a shell script that downloads 6 files in succession from a given url, then deletes them. Now I want to time the script, and the average time it uses by running it ~100 times. My problem is tho, how do I store the time it takes for each run through of the script? I know time writes to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navlelo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy between two different folders containing same sub-folders

I have a folder like this ls input1 dir1 dir2 dir3 file1 file2 file3 dir1, dir2 and dir3 are sub-folders inside the folder input1 ls input2 dir1 dir2 dir3 file1 file2 file3 My dir1 in input1 folder has files f1, f2, f3 and f4. My dir1 in input2 folder has file f4 and f5. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies
FTW(3)							   BSD Library Functions Manual 						    FTW(3)

NAME
ftw, nftw -- traverse (walk) a file tree SYNOPSIS
#include <ftw.h> int ftw(const char *path, int (*fn)(const char *, const struct stat *, int), int maxfds); int nftw(const char *path, int (*fn)(const char *, const struct stat *, int, struct FTW *), int maxfds, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The ftw() and nftw() functions traverse (walk) the directory hierarchy rooted in path. For each object in the hierarchy, these functions call the function pointed to by fn. The ftw() function passes this function a pointer to a NUL-terminated string containing the name of the object, a pointer to a stat structure corresponding to the object, and an integer flag. The nftw() function passes the aforementioned argu- ments plus a pointer to a FTW structure as defined by <ftw.h> (shown below): struct FTW { int base; /* offset of basename into pathname */ int level; /* directory depth relative to starting point */ }; Possible values for the flag passed to fn are: FTW_F A regular file. FTW_D A directory being visited in pre-order. FTW_DNR A directory which cannot be read. The directory will not be descended into. FTW_DP A directory being visited in post-order (nftw() only). FTW_NS A file for which no stat(2) information was available. The contents of the stat structure are undefined. FTW_SL A symbolic link. FTW_SLN A symbolic link with a non-existent target (nftw() only). The ftw() function traverses the tree in pre-order. That is, it processes the directory before the directory's contents. The maxfds argument specifies the maximum number of file descriptors to keep open while traversing the tree. It has no effect in this imple- mentation. The nftw() function has an additional flags argument with the following possible values: FTW_PHYS Physical walk, do not follow symbolic links. FTW_MOUNT The walk will not cross a mount point. FTW_DEPTH Process directories in post-order. Contents of a directory are visited before the directory itself. By default, nftw() traverses the tree in pre-order. FTW_CHDIR Change to a directory before reading it. By default, nftw() will change its starting directory. The current working directory will be restored to its original value before nftw() returns. RETURN VALUES
If the tree was traversed successfully, the ftw() and nftw() functions return 0. If the function pointed to by fn returns a non-zero value, ftw() and nftw() will stop processing the tree and return the value from fn. Both functions return -1 if an error is detected. ERRORS
The ftw() and nftw() functions may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions close(2), open(2), stat(2), malloc(3), opendir(3) and readdir(3). If the FTW_CHDIR flag is set, the nftw() function may fail and set errno for any of the errors speci- fied for chdir(2). In addition, either function may fail and set errno as follows: [EINVAL] The maxfds argument is less than 1. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), close(2), open(2), stat(2), fts(3), malloc(3), opendir(3), readdir(3) STANDARDS
The ftw() and nftw() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
These functions first appeared in AT&T System V Release 3 UNIX. Their first FreeBSD appearance was in FreeBSD 5.3. BUGS
The maxfds argument is currently ignored. BSD
July 5, 2004 BSD