Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Nee help debugging script..plz Post 302096617 by BOFH on Thursday 16th of November 2006 04:26:26 PM
Old 11-16-2006
Ok, the first thing is you need to post the complete script. You're missing the top of the script since I don't see the #!/bin/bash line.

Next is use the code tags to enclose your script to make it easier to read. Hard to say if an error is due to transcription or just because the software is deleting spaces and brackets.

Next is the Main_Menu function is not right. You have the while, do and clear outside of the function instead of inside.

Next is you aren't echoing the menu options.

The Volume_Date_Returns function has some bogus if statement constructs. They're commented out but they should be corrected if you're going to use them.

The rest looks basically ok. I'm not 100% sure on how you're using if statements. I'm pretty sure you need to use brackets to enclose the test. I always do and like to verify it before saying it for sure. Can't hurt to actually enclose in brackets though.

Fixed Main_Menu:

Code:
tapemgr_Main_Menu()
{
  while : do
  clear
    echo " Tape Management System Menu"
    echo "This system is used to report Legato ERV Offsite and Tapes Returned"

echo "1. BUR IPS Tape Offsite Report"
    echo "2. BUR IPS TAPE Returns from ERV"
    echo "q. Quit or Ctrl-C"
    echo "Select an option 1,2,q"
    read option
    case $option in
      1) Tapes_Offsite_Menu();;
      2) Tapes_Return_Menu();;
      q) exit;;
    esac
  done
}

Carl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HP-UX Debugging Shell script

Hi, I was using AIX - ksh shell , and inorder to debug shell script I used set -vx to echo all the commands which are being executed. Can anybody tell me the corresponding method in HP-UX - in tcsh shell. Regards Shihab (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script debugging

Hello all, I am trying to run a script and have not had much success running it...ne help debugging it will be appreciated..The ftp script alone works but not within the while loop. below is the script #!/usr/bin/ksh destination_server=servename destination_user_id=un... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

debugging a script??

Hi all, Am working on a script to understand the flow control of it.. Since i am from a C background i looking out for an easy way to analyze the script as it runs .. In C/C++ we have F7 that starts execution from main() and proceeds accordingly.. I was wondering if there is a same approach... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cp script error, pls help in debugging!!!!

Hi all, I searched to find out a few cp scripts that had progress bar, but did not compromise on performance, when my efforts were in vain i went ahead and wrote one of my own ,taking i/p frm other scripts... But this is causing some errors and am unable to debug it.....pls help Here is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command nee to cut the record

I have a file which contains a record like follows /dir1/dir2/dir3/file.dat I need command to so that output can be only file.dat (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script debugging

is there any way you can add a breakpoint in a script so you can stop on it? i have used -xv in my shebang but the script just runs and i want it to stop at a specific point in the script. appreciate any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

debugging the shell script with out actually running

Hello, Some one asked me in the inteview.... The question is, How do we debug the schell script before even running..... Interviewer told me one clue... There is SET command to accomplish this... Can any one tell me what kind of set commands.... Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging a script with noexec

Newbie question. I cannot get "set -n" or "set -noexec on" to work on Linux or AIX! According to the man page and what I read online, it should inform me of syntax errors without executing commands in your script. So, can someone PLEASE explain why this does not work? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fgoyti
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script debugging

hi all only the weirdest thing happened with me just now. I was debugging a shell script and I found that a step that was supposed to execute later was getting executed prior to another step for no reason. You know any ? i mean have a look at the following command- here it tries to grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
7 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux