Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting Lines from .csv file Post 302096032 by 009satya on Monday 13th of November 2006 11:19:04 AM
Old 11-13-2006
Deleting Lines from .csv file

Hello All,

I have a .csv file and I have to delete the selcted records stored in a vairable
e.g
echo $lname
7 88 91 94 97 100 103 106
I dont know how to pass the variable name to "sed" for deleting the $lname from a file
can any one help as this is very urgent.

$lname is changing the lines number so there is no fix line number stored in $lname this is upto the file.
009satya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Lines from .CSV Files

I have written an script which will excluded some records from .csv file and put it on another excluded file from primary file.This is working very fine.Now the problem is that I want to delete those excluded lines from Primary file but not able to delete it. I have stored the line number in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 009satya
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last 2 lines from the file.

Hi I have a file & always I need to remove or delete last 2 lines from that file. So in a file if I have 10 lines then it should return me first 8 lines. Can someone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting rows & columns form a csv file

Hi , I want to delete some rows & columns from file. can someone please help me on this? Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: code19
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting rows from csv file

Hello, I am supposed to process about 100 csv files. But these files have some extra lines at the bottom of the file. these extra lines start with a header for each column and then some values below. These lines are actually a summary of the actual data and not supposed to be processed. These... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting columns from CSV file

Hi All, Am working on perl script which should delete columns in existing CSV file. If my file is : AA,BB,CC,DD 00,11,22,33 00,55,66,77 00,99,88,21 AA,BB... are all my headers can come in any order (e.g AA,CC,BB...) and rest are values. I want to delete column CC... Can anybody help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a CSV file and deleting all rows on condition

Hello list, I am working on a csv file which contains two fields per record which contain IP addresses. What I am trying to do is find records which have identical fields(IP addresses) which occur 4(four) times, and if they do, delete all records with that specific identical field(ip address). ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert a horizontal lines to vertical lines in a csv file

Hi.. I need some help in converting the below horizontal lines to vertical lines format. can anyone help me on this. input file Hour,1,2,3,4,5 90RT,106,111,111,112,111 output file Hour,90RT 1,106 2,111 3,111 4,112 5,111 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuram717
3 Replies
pilot-addresses(1)					      General Commands Manual						pilot-addresses(1)

NAME
pilot-addresses - read and write address book databases to and from a Palm handheld device, such as those made from Palm, Handspring, Han- dera, TRGPro, Sony or other Palm Compatible Handheld PDA device SYNOPSIS
pilot-addresses -p <port> [-c category ] [-d category ] [-r file | -w file ] (Note that some options are not shown above) DESCRIPTION
pilot-addresses allows the user to read all entries in the Palm address book database, write new entries into the database, and delete a category or delete all entries in the database. TARGET DEVICE
The default serial device used to communicate with a Palm is /dev/pilot. If the environment variable $PILOTPORT is set, its value will override the default. A serial device specified on the command-line will be used regardless of any $PILOTPORT setting. OPTIONS
Several options exist, including... -p --port <port>, Use device file port to communicate with the Palm handheld device. If this is not specified, will look for the $PILOTPORT environ- ment variable. If both are not found, will fall back to /dev/pilot. -h --help Display help synopsis for pilot-addresses -v --version Display version of pilot-addresses -a Augments fields in address book records with additional information. The augmented information is placed before and separated from the field with a semi-colon, (;). Augmented information includes: category_name - placed in front of each record or ["Work" | "Home" | "Fax" | "Other" | "E-mail" | "Main" | "Pager" | "Mobile" ] - placed in front of each phone number field. Empty fields are not augmented. -c category Install records to category category by default. Normally pilot-addresses uses Unfiled as the default category. This option is over- ridden by the category specified in the record with the -a option. -d category Delete all records in the specified category before installing new records. -D Delete all address book records in all categories. Obviously, be very careful with this one. -e Escape all special characters with a backslash. This enables you to read and write entries with newline characters in a field or note. -q Causes pilot-addresses to be quiet and not prompt you to press the HotSync button. -r file Reads records from file and install them to the Palm address book database. (Use the -w file to get a template file for input records.) -t delim Include category in each record, use the delimiter specified to separate all fields of a record. Delimiters are specified as fol- lows: 3=tab, 2=;, 1=,. This overrides the default delimiter of comma between fields and semi-colon between a field's augmented information. (Please note that this may generate confusing results when used with the -a option.) -T Write a header line with field titles as the first line of the data file. -w file Get all address book records from the Palm address book database and writes them into file USAGE
The program will connect to a target device and port, prompt the user to HotSync, and perform the requested read or write operation speci- fied by the user. EXAMPLES
To write all address records in a Palm to the file addrbook.csv: pilot-addresses -w addrbook.csv or pilot-addresses -p /dev/irnine -w addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and install them on a Palm: pilot-addresses -r addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and place them into the Palm address book database category Special after first deleting all current records in the Special category on the palm: pilot-addresses -c Special -d Special -r addrbook.csv SEE ALSO
pilot-link(7) KNOWN BUGS
pilot-addresses has no known bugs. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.pilot-link.org/ AUTHOR
pilot-addresses originally written by Kenneth Albanowski, manual page was written by Robert Wittig <bob.wittig@gt.org>. Free Software Foundation Palm Computing Device Tools pilot-addresses(1)