Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ultra simple question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ultra simple question Post 302095916 by kamitsin on Sunday 12th of November 2006 10:59:09 AM
Old 11-12-2006
I am not sure why you were having problem with your tr statement.

It looks perfectly ok to me, have a look

----------------------------------------------------
$ echo AmiT|tr [a-z] .
A..T
----------------------------------------------------

and this is what you were doing. Right ??

Thanks,
Amit
kamitsin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simple Question

Friends, I did following exercise $ echo '' > test $ od -b test $ echo "">test $ od -b test $echo > test $od -b test Every time I got the following output 0000000 012 0000001 But 012 is octal value for new line character . Even though there is no apperent new line character... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: j1yant
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

a simple question

I have a problem, why should root access only be provided from a login on the console, and why should a user be forced to use "su" command to perform system maintenance, rather than logging in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnxi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove the encryption from Data CDs by UNIX? Or does anyone know of a program that can remove the encryption? I would much appreciate it! Thanks, -Peaves (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple question

I'm new to unix commands and am wondering how you could create a page with html tags in it. echo "<b>Test</b>" > test.html doesn't work because of the tags. How would I do this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roger19
4 Replies

6. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Hi Guys, I've been learning UNIX for the past couple of days and I came across this exercise, I can't get my head around it, so I would be ever so grateful if I could receive some sort of help or direction with this. Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aforball
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ls question

i am doing ls -la in the out put , first line is as total 41621 What is this total? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh78
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question

I had a script in solaris wich i read data, for example: Number 1: _ and the cursor use to be in '_' place because in the code of the script i write: echo "Number 1:\c" but i copy the script to a linux and the cursor 'jump' to the begining of the next line like: Number 1:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
DwtSTextReplace(3Dwt)													     DwtSTextReplace(3Dwt)

Name
       DwtSTextReplace - Replaces a portion of the current text string in the simple text widget or inserts a new substring in the text.

Syntax
       void DwtSTextReplace(widget, from_pos, to_pos, value)
	    Widget widget;
	    int from_pos, to_pos;
	    DwtCompString value;

Arguments
       widget	 Specifies the ID of the simple text widget whose text string you want to replace.

from_pos  Specifies the beginning character position within the text string marking the text being replaced.

to_pos	 Specifies the last character position within the text string marking the text being replaced.

value	 Specifies the text to replace part of the current text in the simple text widget.

Description
       The  DwtSTextReplace  function  replaces  part of the text string in the simple text widget.  Within the window, the positions are numbered
       starting from 0 and increasing sequentially.  For example, to replace the second and third characters in the string, from_pos should  be  1
       and to_pos should be 3.	To insert a string after the fourth character, from_pos and to_pos should both be 4.

See Also
       DwtSText(3Dwt),  DwtSTextGetString(3Dwt),  DwtSTextGetEditable(3Dwt),  DwtSTextSetEditable(3Dwt), DwtSTextGetMaxLength(3Dwt), DwtS-
       TextSetMaxLength(3Dwt), DwtSTextSetSelection(3Dwt), DwtSTextClearSelection(3Dwt), DwtSTextGetSelection(3Dwt)
       Guide to the XUI Toolkit: C Language Binding
       Guide to the XUI Toolkit Intrinsics: C Language Binding

DwtSTextReplace(3Dwt)