Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I need help choosing a linux. Post 302095789 by matrixmadhan on Friday 10th of November 2006 04:18:51 AM
Old 11-10-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsrinivas
Its simple
create a partion of around say 10 GB in Windows which is empty (as we will format it when we install linux as ext3 (as ext3 is linux file system as FAT32 or NTFS in windows ) and in linux we need to create a swap partition(which acts a virtuval RAM which is around twice to ur RAM)

then While installing linux it asks for the selection of Boot Loader -- which u have to choose as GRUB and it automatically detects ur windows and adds it to ur Boot loader which is the screen which alows u to choose to which OS u wish to enter

that it Smilie

necessarily not linux file system as ext3, it could be ext2 also.

For those who are starting with installing dual boots, i would suggest to go for ext2 file system as installation with ext3 filesystem its a bit complicated and resolving issues with installation would take quite a longer time.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Choosing Java or C++

Listen, if you know a bit of programming in C and need to program unix-type operating systems the next transitive stage is for sure C++. However, have in mind that Java is like learning C but 99% object-oriented(o.o.) and with no pointers or memory-management tricks. It would be good for you to see... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

2. Linux

Choosing Linux Kernel

Hi All I recently upgraded my Mandrake 9.1 box to Mandrake 10.0 and the 2.6 kernel. However when I execute uname -a I still get a 2.4 kernel: Linux hostname 2.4.21-0.13mdk #1 Fri Mar 14 15:08:06 EST 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux I assume this means I am still booting into a 2.4 kernel?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saabir
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Choosing a version

I know that the rules say no school questions but I am in advanced topics and am going to go to college for programming and I want to find a easy first OS to start me out, please help, thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KoKo
3 Replies

4. Linux

Choosing the best distro.

Hi all Help me find the best distro for the following configurations: Intel pentium IV 1.6 Ghz 128 MB RAM :( 40 GB Hardisk with one very big partition more than 35 gb n another 2 gb partition. windows xp is already installed but has enough free space (26gb). Which linux will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

5. Slackware

Help for choosing Slackware

Dear Friends, If I use Slackware for learning whether it will make any confusion in administering/using Redhat and SuSE since I have checked slackware is more like BSD. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help Choosing Unix/Linux for Project management

I'm in the process of really comitting to learning a Unix or Linux OS/distro really well for career opportunities and to use as my main desktop OS. I've been mulling through the choices and I'm having a hard time. Maybe someone can help me. I'm not a noob and I have some FreeBSD and Slackware /... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lobill
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically choosing the interpreter

Hi, Is it possible to choose the inerpreter conditionally. For example, if whereis bash returns /usr/bin/bash then i need to choose #!/usr/bin/bash else i need to use #!/usr/bin/sh. Is it possible to achieve in a shell script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

8. Linux

Choosing a UNIX

i have a project in numerical calculus in c language what unix i get better for this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
7 Replies

9. Linux

Help choosing distro

Hi, I just ordered an Skylake NUC and will run Linux on it. My distro of choice has been Ubuntu but I am fed up with the release cycle and would like more of a rolling release. I would say I am an intermediate level Linux user. It's going to be a HTPC, I want to have the latest kernels... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rthorntn
0 Replies
E2UNDO(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 E2UNDO(8)

NAME
e2undo - Replay an undo log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem SYNOPSIS
e2undo [ -f ] [ -h ] [ -n ] [ -o offset ] [ -v ] [ -z undo_file ] undo_log device DESCRIPTION
e2undo will replay the undo log undo_log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem found on device. This can be used to undo a failed operation by an e2fsprogs program. OPTIONS
-f Normally, e2undo will check the filesystem superblock to make sure the undo log matches with the filesystem on the device. If they do not match, e2undo will refuse to apply the undo log as a safety mechanism. The -f option disables this safety mechanism. -h Display a usage message. -n Dry-run; do not actually write blocks back to the filesystem. -o offset Specify the filesystem's offset (in bytes) from the beginning of the device or file. -v Report which block we're currently replaying. -z undo_file Before overwriting a file system block, write the old contents of the block to an undo file. This undo file can be used with e2undo(8) to restore the old contents of the file system should something go wrong. If the empty string is passed as the undo_file argument, the undo file will be written to a file named e2undo-device.e2undo in the directory specified via the E2FSPROGS_UNDO_DIR environment variable. WARNING: The undo file cannot be used to recover from a power or system crash. AUTHOR
e2undo was written by Aneesh Kumar K.V. (aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com) AVAILABILITY
e2undo is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 E2UNDO(8)