Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete all mails using mailx or mail Post 302095391 by BOFH on Monday 6th of November 2006 03:41:00 PM
Old 11-06-2006
I guess the question is why use mail or mailx? Why not just delete your mailbox?

Code:
$ rm /var/spool/mail/rfestus

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how to send mails to users on exchange server from sendmail/solaris(mailx)

Hi, Can anyone pls. tell me how to access Active directory from solaris. I am looking at solution by which I can send mail notification from the logs generated by scripts, to the users on Exchange server. I am trying for a Perl-LDAP module , but don't realy know how to go for it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganeshh
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does Mailx store the mails sent

Hi, I use mailx in a shell script to mail a message to the users. i wanted to know if mailx stores the mail that it sends? for eg in microsoft outlook all mails sent get stored in the outbox. is there such a facility with mailx? if not how i can do this so that for every mail sent, a backup... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munira_johar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete all mail in mailx

Hello all, Can some help me write a small script that when executed will delete all mail in mailx? I am having issues where /var is getting full often due to a lot of mail being stored, I would like to run a script on cron which would delete mail every 2 days, any help is much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sqloyd
1 Replies

4. Debian

cannot send any mails using mailx

hi howto configure mailx ? kind regards ccc (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx is not working outside e-mails

HI i wrote schell script to send e-mail automatically. it works only e-mail for our company.say for example, company name is : abc, example: joe@abc.com every body is receiving with xxx@abc.com (abc.com) if any body from outside of our company like joe@xyz.com.(xyz.com) are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosurya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx- how to delete least of mails

Hi, when i run the mailx command it gives me the least of mails . suppose there are 1- 150 mails and i want to delete 30 to 145 mails . then what command i have to use here? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 mails from mailx command

hi, While using mailx command i am receiving 2 mails with the same content in both the mails.I am attaching a file to the mailx command. In one mail file is coming as attachement and in other attachment is not there. I am using mailx command in this way. echo "Some content" |mailx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

Set default return address for all mails sent from mailx

Hi, I have a question about mailx in Red Hat: If I use 'mail userid@mydomain.com -- -f root@mydomain.com', the return mail address will be root@mydomain.com. How can I make all mails sent from this system use root@mydomain.com as return address by default? Thank you in advance! nz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Mailx command running successfully but no mails received.

Hi, I am working on a HP-UX box. Mailx command running successfully but no mails received. Here is what I am doing rocfm@comhp73 - mailx -s "subject" abc@gmail.com < abc.txt Null message body; hope that's ok rocfm@comhp73 - echo $? 0 rocfm@comhp73 - echo "something" | mailx -v -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunayna
1 Replies
EXIM_LOCK(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      EXIM_LOCK(8)

NAME
exim_lock - Mailbox maintenance SYNOPSIS
exim_lock [options]mailbox-file DESCRIPTION
The exim_lock utility locks a mailbox file using the same algorithm as Exim. For a discussion of locking issues, see section 25.2. exim_lock can be used to prevent any modification of a mailbox by Exim or a user agent while investigating a problem. The utility requires the name of the file as its first argument. If the locking is successful, the second argument is run as a command (using C's "system()" function); if there is no second argument, the value of the SHELL environment variable is used; if this is unset or empty, /bin/sh is run. When the command finishes, the mailbox is unlocked and the utility ends. The following options are available: -fcntl Use "fcntl()" locking on the open mailbox. -interval This must be followed by a number, which is a number of seconds; it sets the interval to sleep between retries (default 3). -lockfile Create a lock file before opening the mailbox. -mbx Lock the mailbox using MBX rules. -q Suppress verification output. -retries This must be followed by a number; it sets the number of times to try to get the lock (default 10). -timeout This must be followed by a number, which is a number of seconds; it sets a timeout to be used with a blocking "fcntl()" lock. If it is not set (the default), a non-blocking call is used. -v Generate verbose output. If none of -fcntl, -lockfile or -mbx are given, the default is to create a lock file and also use "fcntl()" locking on the mailbox, which is the same as Exim's default. The use of -fcntl requires that the file be writable; the use of -lockfile requires that the directory containing the file be writable. Locking by lock file does not last for ever; Exim assumes that a lock file is expired if it is more than 30 minutes old. The -mbx option is mutually exclusive with -fcntl. It causes a shared lock to be taken out on the open mailbox, and an exclusive lock on the file /tmp/.n.m where n and m are the device number and inode number of the mailbox file. When the locking is released, if an exclusive lock can be obtained for the mailbox, the file in /tmp is deleted. The default output contains verification of the locking that takes place. The -v option causes some additional information to be given. The -q option suppresses all output except error messages. A command such as exim_lock /var/spool/mail/spqr runs an interactive shell while the file is locked, whereas exim_lock -q /var/spool/mail/spqr <<End <some commands> End runs a specific non-interactive sequence of commands while the file is locked, suppressing all verification output. A single command can be run by a command such as exim_lock -q /var/spool/mail/spqr "cp /var/spool/mail/spqr /some/where" Note that if a command is supplied, it must be entirely contained within the second argument - hence the quotes. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXIM_LOCK(8)