Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add to first line of file using perl Post 302095389 by kingdbag on Monday 6th of November 2006 03:30:15 PM
Old 11-06-2006
I suppose, but is it really that hard to do it in perl? I though I have done it before with a seek command or something but im drawing a blank.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to add a line into a file

hi all need a perl script to add a line into a file thanks with anticipation (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL or SHELL Scrript to search in Directories by taking line by line from a text file

Unix box server version *********** >uname -r B.11.00 >echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh --> in this server, I have the path like /IMbuild/dev/im0serv1 ---> in that directory I have the folders startup(.jsp files nearly 100 jsp's ) and scripts(contains .js files nearly 100 files) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasam
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a line in a file using perl script?

Hi all, I want to search for a line in a file using perl script and add a line above that line.Can any one suggest me command or code to that using script. Thanks BHarath (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathece
5 Replies

4. Programming

Perl find text and add line

Hi All I need to add a line to a file but after a certain block of text is found The block of text looks like this <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:video/quicktime" NC:value="video/quicktime" and i need to add this in the next line down ( note there is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split and add new line

Hi All, I find the below code printing the output of a particular field in same line, which i want it to be printed on a new line. ---CODE START--- foreach $defectRec (@outLs) { my($def_id,$status,$files_mod) = split(/,/, $defectRec); print "DEFECT ID: $def_id, Status:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a line in every file with perl commandline?

Hi, i want to add a line at the beginning of every file in a directory. perl -i.bkp -p -e 'print "#include /verif/pdd1/exu/sxs/6sTest/reset/dfu/top_level.reset\n" if $. == 1' *.reset But this command is updating only the first file in the directory. I think this is because $. is not resetting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add specific string to last field of each line in perl based on value

I am trying to add a condition to the below perl that will capture the GTtag and place a specific string in the last field of each line. The problem is that the GT value used is not right after the tag rather it is a few fields away. The values should always be 0/1 or 1/2 and are in bold in the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to extract information from a file line by line

In the below perl code I am using tags within each line to extract certain information. The tags that are used are: STB >0.8 is STRAND BIAS otherwise GOOD FDP is the second number GO towards the end of the line is read into an array and the value returned is outputed, in the first line that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
seek(n)                                                        Tcl Built-In Commands                                                       seek(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
seek - Change the access position for an open channel SYNOPSIS
seek channelId offset ?origin? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Changes the current access position for channelId. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as a Tcl standard channel (stdin, stdout, or stderr), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The offset and origin arguments specify the position at which the next read or write will occur for channelId. Offset must be an integer (which may be negative) and origin must be one of the following: start The new access position will be offset bytes from the start of the underlying file or device. current The new access position will be offset bytes from the current access position; a negative offset moves the access position back- wards in the underlying file or device. end The new access position will be offset bytes from the end of the file or device. A negative offset places the access position before the end of file, and a positive offset places the access position after the end of file. The origin argument defaults to start. The command flushes all buffered output for the channel before the command returns, even if the channel is in nonblocking mode. It also discards any buffered and unread input. This command returns an empty string. An error occurs if this command is applied to channels whose underlying file or device does not support seeking. Note that offset values are byte offsets, not character offsets. Both seek and tell operate in terms of bytes, not characters, unlike read. EXAMPLES
Read a file twice: set f [open file.txt] set data1 [read $f] seek $f 0 set data2 [read $f] close $f # $data1 == $data2 if the file wasn't updated Read the last 10 bytes from a file: set f [open file.data] # This is guaranteed to work with binary data but # may fail with other encodings... fconfigure $f -translation binary seek $f -10 end set data [read $f 10] close $f SEE ALSO
file(n), open(n), close(n), gets(n), tell(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
access position, file, seek Tcl 8.1 seek(n)