Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: double pointer usage
Top Forums Programming double pointer usage Post 302095214 by sajinkoroth on Sunday 5th of November 2006 03:14:19 AM
Old 11-05-2006
You mean dynamic allocation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by axes
Thanx Perderabo

I have a requirement like this:
I need to prepare a string dynamically whose size is not known ahead of time. How can I program this?

Example:-

main() {
/* DO SOME THING */
prepare_string(string_to_be_prepared);
}

prepare_string(string_to_be_prepared) {

/* prepare the dynamic size string */
return;
}

Any pointers pls
I think you need to create a string at run time .And if that is the case you could use following code

int prep_string(char *);

int main()
{
char *str; // The dynamicallly allocated string u could use it like any other string
// Like str[30] ,str[i] is valid since it is charachter string

if(prep_string(str) == -1)
//code to handle not enough memory condition
// Now use the str as any other charachter string

return 0;
}

int prep_string(char *str)
{
int size ;
printf("\nEnter the size of the string ");
scanf("%d",&size);
str =(char *) malloc(size * sizeof(char));
if(str == NULL)
// Not enough memory to satisfy the request
return -1;
else
return 0;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. Programming

Pointer to a struct (with pointers) *** glibc detected *** double free

I am using a structure defined as follows struct gene_square { double *x; double *y; };I have class, with a member function which is a pointer of this type: gene_square* m_Genes;I am allocating memory in the constructors like this: m_Genes = new gene_square; for (ii=0;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jatoo
1 Replies

4. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

5. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused with the usage of one variable usage

Hi All I am not able to understand the usage of d# in the below variable declaration. FILE_LOC contains the directory path And also help me to know about what will be saved in the variable j. Thanks!!! j=${d#${FILE_LOC}/} (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanm
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

9. Programming

double pointer allocation

hi guys how can I allocate a double char pointer? I want an array of pointers to char objects. the objects the double pointer points to are : char b; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory usage per user,percent usage,sytem time in ksh

Let's say i have 20 users logged on Server. How can I know how much memory percent used each of them is using with system time in each user? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
2 Replies
curs_instr(3X)															    curs_instr(3X)

NAME
instr, innstr, winstr, winnstr, mvinstr, mvinnstr, mvwinstr, mvwinnstr - get a string of characters from a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int instr(char *str); int innstr(char *str, int n); int winstr(WINDOW *win, char *str); int winnstr(WINDOW *win, char *str, int n); int mvinstr(int y, int x, char *str); int mvinnstr(int y, int x, char *str, int n); int mvwinstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, char *str); int mvwinnstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, char *str, int n); DESCRIPTION
These routines return a string of characters in str, extracted starting at the current cursor position in the named window. Attributes are stripped from the characters. The four functions with n as the last argument return a leading substring at most n characters long (exclu- sive of the trailing NUL). RETURN VALUE
All of the functions return ERR upon failure, or the number of characters actually read into the string. X/Open defines no error conditions. In this implementation, if the window parameter is null or the str parameter is null, a zero is returned. NOTES
Note that all routines except winnstr may be macros. PORTABILITY
SVr4 does not document whether a length limit includes or excludes the trailing NUL. The ncurses library extends the XSI description by allowing a negative value for n. In this case, the functions return the string ending at the right margin. SEE ALSO
curses(3X). curs_instr(3X)