Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to test filename is file or directory Post 302094808 by vino on Wednesday 1st of November 2006 08:20:53 AM
Old 11-01-2006
Code:
file=$(tail -f filelist.lst)
[ -d $file ] && echo "$file is a directory"
[ -f $file ] && echo "$file is a file"

See man test for more constructs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

test if a filename exists with specified string (ksh)

I'm trying to do a simple if statement that tests if a filename exists with a user specified string. So say I have these files: Assigned_1day_after_due_chuong Assigned_1day_after_due_gallen Assigned_1day_after_due_heidenre and i'm running a script and want to know if a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob122480
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

test for directory being subdir of another directory

I've been using the following code to make sure a shell script only runs under a "safe" directory. Comments/Improvements? #!/bin/sh #----------------------------------------------------------------------------# #..........................................................#... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hackware
8 Replies

3. Solaris

test and .test in same directory

i am using solaris 5.10. i can create two different files "test" and ".test" in the same directory. now suppose i want to change the attribute of the hidden file .test to visible is it possible??? since "." is just an attribute to mark a file hidden why is unix allows creation of "file" and... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get filename from directory

hi find /home -type f -atime +5 shows me files like : home/test/aaa.txt home/test/bbb.html How can I get the file name I mean only aaa.txt and bbb.html (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
19 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm: Unable to remove directory /mnt/users/test/logs/: File exists

rm: Unable to remove directory /mnt/users/test/logs/: File exists ls -latr total 191208 drwxrwxrwx 6 test echo 4096 Jul 3 22:36 .. -rwxrwxrwx 1 test echo 97692804 Jul 3 22:36 .nfsDFA4 drwxrwxr-x 2 test echo 4096 Jul 3 23:00 . M not able to delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solitare123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIle (directory) test operator (bash)

I'm almost pulling out my hair trying to figure out what's wrong with this... there's no reason I can see that it shouldn't be working. It seems that the code acts as though the conditional statement is true no matter what - I've even tried removing the negation operator, but it always goes into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wildbluefaerie
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename from splitting files to have the same filename of the original file with counter value

Hi all, I have a list of xml file. I need to split the files to a different files when see the <ko> tag. The list of filename are B20090908.1100-20090908.1200_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1200-20090908.1300_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1300-20090908.1400_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

put file in different directory according to the filename

Dear all, I would like to know how to move the downloaded files in differenent directories according to the name of the file? i.e. P10120111201_122013M.jpg P10120120101_122013M.jpg P10120120201_122013M.jpg The first 4 charactors "P101" is the station name, 4-8 means year "2012",... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: handsonzhao
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract every filename containing certain string in a directory and do some commend per file

Hi, Here is my question: suppose I have files like 1990_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1991_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1992_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1993_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1990_daily_atmos.nc 1991_daily_atmos.nc 1992_daily_atmos.nc 1993_daily_atmos.nc 1990_month_atmos.nc 1991_month_atmos.nc 1992_month_atmos.nc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1988PF
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)