Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to apply the awk commnad ? Post 302094654 by preethgideon on Monday 30th of October 2006 08:32:24 PM
Old 10-30-2006
Hey thank you for the sed command.You would have taken some pain to explain so much.I got this awk from my friend

awk '{print "Will India win the " $0 " Cup?"}' <file name>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How does commnad tail implement

How does commnad tail implement ? Thank you . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commnad for getting bandwidth usage

Hi all Wanted to know if there is a command that gives me the bandwidth used at any point of time (in mbps). I pay for the bandwidth I have used and need to be alerted everytime I corss over a certain limit. Regards KS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep commnad

echo "Enter a,: \c" read answer echo case "$answer" in a|A) echo "Enter a file :\c" read $answer echo " Enter a string to be searched :\c" read $answer2 if then echo " file doesn't exist" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: props
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to apply sub/gsub of awk on a particular field?

I got a file with contents are of the following format ... 2007-09-28 ./.passwwd1.sh.swp 2007-11-26 ./827-55.jpg 2007-09-28 ./argcheck.pl ... I have to delete all the '-' in the "first field", ie. the date, not on the second field, which is the name of the file. i.e. required output ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaduks
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply 'awk' to all files in a directory or individual files from a command line

Hi All, I am using the awk command to replace ',' by '\t' (tabs) in a csv file. I would like to apply this to all .csv files in a directory and create .txt files with the tabs. How would I do this in a script? I have the following script called "csvtabs": awk 'BEGIN { FS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

apply record separator to multiple files within a directory using awk

Hi, I have a bunch of records within a directory where each one has this form: (example file1) 1 2 50 90 80 90 43512 98 0909 79869 -9 7878 33222 8787 9090 89898 7878 8989 7878 6767 89 89 78676 9898 000 7878 5656 5454 5454 and i want for all of these files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

zsh and watch commnad

Hi Guys i have set the watch command on my shell watch=all but this will report when i open and close a shell, is there a way so that it will ignore me user but only when i am on my machine i can set it to watch=notme but that will not detect if someone su -<my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

apply a function twice successively with the same input in awk program

Hi ! It is a general question. When an awk script looks like: #! bin/awk function example(i){ <body> } { example(1) #the function uses input_1 and return output_a } { example(2) #the function uses previous output_a as an input and returns... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

OFS does not apply to few records in awk

Hi , I am having a problem with my awk oneliner , which for some reason leaves the first two records Input File $ cat file1 A1:B1:C1:NoLimit M1:M2:M3:Limit A2:B2:C2,C3,C4,C5 A3:B3:C3,C4,C5,C6,C7Desired output A1,B1,C1,NoLimit M1,M2,M3,Limit A2,B2,C2 ,,,C3 ,,,C4 ,,,C5 A3,B3,C3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match and apply condtions to matchijng files in directories

I am trying to merge the below awk, which compares two files looking for a match in $2 and then prints the line if two conditions are meet. awk awk 'FNR==NR{A=$0;next} ($2 in A){if($10>30 && $11>49){print A}}' F113.txt F113_tvc.bed This code was improved and provided by @RavinderSingh13,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
18 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)