Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Grid vs. Parallel vs. Distributed Post 302094618 by rhfrommn on Monday 30th of October 2006 11:23:58 AM
Old 10-30-2006
I agree mostly with Perderabo's definitions. I'd just add examples.

Parallel Computing - A vector supercomputer like a Cray. Older Cray's like the Y/MP and so on. I know they are now making more distributed/clustered supercomputers too, but the big single Cray boxes are the example of Parallel supercomputing.

Distributed Computing - A huge set of systems all doing the same thing. You can add, remove, and replace an individual one without affecting the overall service at all. Something like the huge Google linux farms that handle search requests.

Grid Computing - I can't come up with a better example than Perderabo's SETI screensaver grid. A commercial example would be Sun's grid they rent out for $1 per hour per cpu.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Distributed

I've downloaded distributed latest build for dnetc, and I think i installed it. Not sure where the excicuteable would be. Any help? i realize this is a little ambigious, so I can allways reintstall it if i know how to put it in a specific directory.. does anyone know if VNC works for the Intel... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veitcha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a grid file

Hi everybody: I want to create a grid file for export to statistical program. My aid is create a file with both rows, one row are x coordenates and other for y coordenates. All grid obviousolly are same space. the form that i want is this: x=(400000 ........ 600000) and y=(4000000 .......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

3. AIX

GRID containers technology

Hi forum, I am aware that on Hp-Superdome technology (Blade Servers) is avaliable while on Solaris GRID technology is the latest in the market. I would like to know if similar high end technology is also available for AIX ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dheram
1 Replies

4. Programming

Distributed Automation kill()

Ok, so Ive been stumped by this problem for the last 3 days, and my exploration is reaching its limitations... The key idea is that at any moment in time, the automation controller could theoretically have any number of threads open to any number of node machines running any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

5. High Performance Computing

how to do GRID COMPUTING?

Hello, I want to know how to combine the processing power of given 2 FEDORA machines in LAN. Can you please tell me the commands,etc used to perform such an operations.Can you please give me the links where I can find more info on this topic. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
5 Replies
IPCONTROLLER(1) 														   IPCONTROLLER(1)

NAME
ipcontroller - IPython parallel computing controller control tool SYNOPSIS
ipengine [options] DESCRIPTION
ipcontroller is a control tool for IPython's parallel computing functions. OPTIONS
-h, --help show this help message and exit --client-ip=CLIENT_IP the IP address or hostname the controller will listen on for client connections --client-port=CLIENT_PORT the port the controller will listen on for client connections --client-location=CLIENT_LOCATION hostname or ip for clients to connect to -x turn off all client security --client-cert-file=CLIENT_CERT_FILE file to store the client SSL certificate --task-furl-file=TASK_FURL_FILE file to store the FURL for task clients to connect with --multiengine-furl-file=MULTIENGINE_FURL_FILE file to store the FURL for multiengine clients to connect with --engine-ip=ENGINE_IP the IP address or hostname the controller will listen on for engine connections --engine-port=ENGINE_PORT the port the controller will listen on for engine connections --engine-location=ENGINE_LOCATION the IP address or hostname for engine to connect to -y turn off all engine security --engine-cert-file=ENGINE_CERT_FILE file to store the engine SSL certificate --engine-furl-file=ENGINE_FURL_FILE file to store the FURL for engines to connect with -l LOGFILE, --logfile=LOGFILE log file name (default is stdout) -r try to reuse all furl files SEE ALSO
ipython(1),ipcluster(1),ipengine(1) AUTHOR
ipcontroller is a tool that ships with IPython, created by the IPython Development Team. This manual page was written by Stephan Peijnik <debian@sp.or.at>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Modified by Fer- nando Perez <Fernando.Perez@berkeley.edu> for inclusion in IPython. October 29, 2008 IPCONTROLLER(1)