Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Grid vs. Parallel vs. Distributed Post 302094443 by Heathe_Kyle on Friday 27th of October 2006 02:06:20 PM
Old 10-27-2006
Grid vs. Parallel vs. Distributed

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could either explain or maybe point me to another article somewhere that explains the difference between:

distributed computing
grid computing
parallel computing

I see these terms thrown around a lot in server and cluster environments, but I'd like a solid explanation of what each technology does exactly and the pros/cons to each solution.

Thanks.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Distributed

I've downloaded distributed latest build for dnetc, and I think i installed it. Not sure where the excicuteable would be. Any help? i realize this is a little ambigious, so I can allways reintstall it if i know how to put it in a specific directory.. does anyone know if VNC works for the Intel... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veitcha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a grid file

Hi everybody: I want to create a grid file for export to statistical program. My aid is create a file with both rows, one row are x coordenates and other for y coordenates. All grid obviousolly are same space. the form that i want is this: x=(400000 ........ 600000) and y=(4000000 .......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

3. AIX

GRID containers technology

Hi forum, I am aware that on Hp-Superdome technology (Blade Servers) is avaliable while on Solaris GRID technology is the latest in the market. I would like to know if similar high end technology is also available for AIX ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dheram
1 Replies

4. Programming

Distributed Automation kill()

Ok, so Ive been stumped by this problem for the last 3 days, and my exploration is reaching its limitations... The key idea is that at any moment in time, the automation controller could theoretically have any number of threads open to any number of node machines running any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

5. High Performance Computing

how to do GRID COMPUTING?

Hello, I want to know how to combine the processing power of given 2 FEDORA machines in LAN. Can you please tell me the commands,etc used to perform such an operations.Can you please give me the links where I can find more info on this topic. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
5 Replies
IPCLUSTER(1)															      IPCLUSTER(1)

NAME
ipcluster - IPython parallel computing cluster control tool SYNOPSIS
ipcluster {piexec,local,mpirun,pbs,ssh} [options] DESCRIPTION
ipcluster is a control tool for IPython's parallel computing functions. IPython cluster startup. This starts a controller and engines using various approaches. Use the IPYTHONDIR environment variable to change your IPython directory from the default of .ipython or _ipython. The log and security subdirectories of your IPython directory will be used by this script for log files and security files. POSITIONAL ARGUMENTS
The first positional argument should be one of: {mpiexec, local, mpirun, pbs, ssh}, which are the available cluster types. For detailed help on each, type "ipcluster TYPE --help". Briefly: local run a local cluster mpirun run a cluster using mpirun (mpiexec also works) mpiexec run a cluster using mpiexec (mpirun also works) pbs run a pbs cluster ssh run a cluster using ssh, should have ssh-keys setup OPTIONS
-h, --help show help message and exit EXAMPLE
ipcluster local -n 4 This command will start 4 IPython engines on the local computer. SEE ALSO
ipython(1),ipcontroller(1),ipengine(1) AUTHOR
ipcluster is a tool that ships with IPython, created by the IPython Development Team. This manual page was written by Stephan Peijnik <debian@sp.or.at>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Modified by Fer- nando Perez <Fernando.Perez@berkeley.edu> for inclusion in IPython. October 28, 2008 IPCLUSTER(1)