Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop through and truncate tables Post 302094251 by vgersh99 on Thursday 26th of October 2006 09:43:00 AM
Old 10-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manish Jha
I guess I missed one thing.

TRUNCATE TABLE ${line_number};

cat ${File_Path}/file_name is for reading the file in which table names are stored and for loop is to read those name line by line. line_number would hold the value of the table name. So finally the code would read the table names from file and truncate each table in database one by one.

Hope this answers your question !

--Manish
the use of 'cat' is UUOC

substitute
Code:
for line_number in `cat ${File_Path}/file_name`

with (using ksh/bash)
Code:
for line_number in $(< ${File_Path}/file_name)

OR

Code:
while read line_number
do
done < "${File_Path}/file_name"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncate what is It?

what does this command do ? as in does this command just make sure everything in the file is executed? or does it flush the file? Actually this is used on a file in a progress database but I believe it is a unix command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

truncate wtmp

I have AIX5.1 I have been trying to learn how to truncate the /var/adm/wtmp file. I have seen several things on google actually but don't quite understand. I also searched your forums but couldn't find it. one says this ">/var/adm/wtmp Is that all I do? I have a seperate question also. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to truncate as filesize?

Hello everybody it's me again. I have a procces that is writing in a 'file1' automatically but i want to truncate 'file1' to a filesize 'x' that mean if the 'file1' size is 'x' i want to delete the first lines while the last lines are being writed, that have sence? in the process are an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lestat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate directory path

Is it possibe to use sed for the following? I would like to truncate the output of a directory path if it's over 3 directory levels deep. For example: /dir1/dir2/dir3 -- NO change required but, /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 would output as ~/dir4 Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate File contain

I have one file which first line is blank and second line has some data. $cat filename output: 30-MAY-07 I want to store 30-MAY-07 value in one variable. for that I wrote var="`head -2 filename`" It will give that result but I want to truncate the first line which is blank. plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting tables of row data into columns of tables

I am trying to transpose tables listed in the format into format. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Input: test_data_1 1 2 90% 4 3 91% 5 4 90% 6 5 90% 9 6 90% test_data_2 3 5 92% 5 4 92% 7 3 93% 9 2 92% 1 1 92% ... Output:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justthisguy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

*** Truncate certain field ***

I have a file in which I need to truncate 15th field to have only one character like Put --> P and if i have no value in 15th field, it should be "O" (Other) would really appreciate the reponses, thnx in advance:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sannmayaz
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i truncate filenmes?

I am using FC6 just in case it matters, though i hope it doesn't. If i have a file or some files that i want to truncate the filename of, so that it is only a certain number of characters in length, how would i do that on the command line? Also, just to make it more interesting, say i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calum
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate table

Hi In unix able to connect to oracle database and create table ,when rerun ,if table exist ,truncate that table.Any idea how to do that a.sh ---- sqlplus -s datadmin/password <<EOF create table xx(col1 number, col2... ); exit; EOF I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

truncate a string from the end

hi, guys. I have a question. If I have a long string like this: 8.0K:/home/test/brownj How can I get a substring which starts from the last slash to the end of the string, so in this case, it will be brownj Thank you very much for you time in advance -Keyang (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
4 Replies
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Mail::Mbox::MessageParser(3)

NAME
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser - A fast and simple mbox folder reader SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser; my $file_name = 'mail/saved-mail'; my $file_handle = new FileHandle($file_name); # Set up cache. (Not necessary if enable_cache is false.) Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::SETUP_CACHE( { 'file_name' => '/tmp/cache' } ); my $folder_reader = new Mail::Mbox::MessageParser( { 'file_name' => $file_name, 'file_handle' => $file_handle, 'enable_cache' => 1, 'enable_grep' => 1, } ); die $folder_reader unless ref $folder_reader; # Any newlines or such before the start of the first email my $prologue = $folder_reader->prologue; print $prologue; # This is the main loop. It's executed once for each email while(!$folder_reader->end_of_file()) { my $email = $folder_reader->read_next_email(); print $$email; } DESCRIPTION
This module implements a fast but simple mbox folder reader. One of three implementations (Cache, Grep, Perl) will be used depending on the wishes of the user and the system configuration. The first implementation is a cached-based one which stores email information about mailboxes on the file system. Subsequent accesses will be faster because no analysis of the mailbox will be needed. The second implementation is one based on GNU grep, and is significantly faster than the Perl version for mailboxes which contain very large (10MB) emails. The final implementation is a fast Perl-based one which should always be applicable. The Cache implementation is about 6 times faster than the standard Perl implementation. The Grep implementation is about 4 times faster than the standard Perl implementation. If you have GNU grep, it's best to enable both the Cache and Grep implementations. If the cache information is available, you'll get very fast speeds. Otherwise, you'll take about a 1/3 performance hit when the Grep version is used instead. The overriding requirement for this module is speed. If you wish more sophisticated parsing, use Mail::MboxParser (which is based on this module) or Mail::Box. METHODS AND FUNCTIONS SETUP_CACHE(...) SETUP_CACHE( { 'file_name' => <cache file name> } ); <cache file name> - the file name of the cache Call this function once to set up the cache before creating any parsers. You must provide the location to the cache file. There is no default value. new(...) new( { 'file_name' => <mailbox file name>, 'file_handle' => <mailbox file handle>, 'enable_cache' => <1 or 0>, 'enable_grep' => <1 or 0>, 'force_processing' => <1 or 0>, 'debug' => <1 or 0>, } ); <mailbox file name> - the file name of the mailbox <mailbox file handle> - the already opened file handle for the mailbox <enable_cache> - true to attempt to use the cache implementation <enable_grep> - true to attempt to use the grep implementation <force_processing> - true to force processing of files that look invalid <debug> - true to print some debugging information to STDERR The constructor takes either a file name or a file handle, or both. If the file handle is not defined, Mail::Mbox::MessageParser will attempt to open the file using the file name. You should always pass the file name if you have it, so that the parser can cache the mailbox information. This module will automatically decompress the mailbox as necessary. If a filename is available but the file handle is undef, the module will call either bzip2, or gzip to decompress the file in memory if the filename ends with .tz, .bz2, or .gz, respectively. If the file handle is defined, it will detect the type of compression and apply the correct decompression program. The Cache, Grep, or Perl implementation of the parser will be loaded, whichever is most appropriate. For example, the first time you use caching, there will be no cache. In this case, the grep implementation can be used instead. The cache will be updated in memory as the grep implementation parses the mailbox, and the cache will be written after the program exits. The file name is optional, in which case enable_cache and enable_grep must both be false. force_processing will cause the module to process folders that look to be binary, or whose text data doesn't look like a mailbox. Returns a reference to a Mail::Mbox::MessageParser object on success, and a scalar desribing an error on failure. ("Not a mailbox", "Can't open <filename>: <system error>", "Can't execute <uncompress command> for file <filename>" reset() Reset the filehandle and all internal state. Note that this will not work with filehandles which are streams. If there is enough demand, I may add the ability to store the previously read stream data internally so that reset() will work correctly. endline() Returns " " or " ", depending on the file format. prologue() Returns any newlines or other content at the start of the mailbox prior to the first email. end_of_file() Returns true if the end of the file has been encountered. line_number() Returns the line number for the start of the last email read. number() Returns the number of the last email read. (i.e. The first email will have a number of 1.) length() Returns the length of the last email read. offset() Returns the byte offset of the last email read. read_next_email() Returns a reference to a scalar holding the text of the next email in the mailbox, or undef at the end of the file. BUGS
No known bugs. Contact david@coppit.org for bug reports and suggestions. AUTHOR
David Coppit <david@coppit.org>. LICENSE
This software is distributed under the terms of the GPL. See the file "LICENSE" for more information. HISTORY
This code was originally part of the grepmail distribution. See http://grepmail.sf.net/ for previous versions of grepmail which included early versions of this code. SEE ALSO
Mail::MboxParser, Mail::Box perl v5.12.1 2009-08-09 Mail::Mbox::MessageParser(3)