Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Raid help for new sys admin
Operating Systems Solaris Raid help for new sys admin Post 302094229 by DukeNuke2 on Thursday 26th of October 2006 05:45:46 AM
Old 10-26-2006
use slvm (solaris logical volume manager) to do what you want. examples are in /etc/lvm/md.tab. also you should read "man metadb" and "man metainit"...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get hired as a Unix sys admin?

What do employers look for? I have my B.S in Comp Sci and minor in chemistry from UNC. But my GPA is a bit low (3.0) I'm studying for my Sun Solaris 9 certification. Is a certification and a Bachelors enough to get a job? Or do you need some related work experience? How hard is it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CapsuleCorpJX
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Network Sys Admin

Hi, my name is wesly. I an IT tech at the Junior Level. I have a bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems. I would like to fully become a Unix Sys Admin. Can anyone please tell me what I have to do. Do I have to set up a Unix or Linux server. How about Apache. Please give me clues and tips... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wes.lat
1 Replies

3. AIX

Help training for Unix Sys Admin

I have worked on AIX for a number of years now and want to upskill to Sys Admin. My problem is my employer won't give root access etc to their servers so I must find my own way of training. Can anyone suggest a virtual environment I could use to train for AIX sys admin tasks, or suggest an old... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackmeadow
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Sys Admin Certification

Hi, I am planning to get certified in Solaris 10 for my own interest. Although I don't have much experience in sys admin, I have got some background in scripting and some sort of beginner level administration. But I have read in many places that one must have a good amount of experience in sys... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Platform trends (what to aim for to become a sys admin)

I am currently an AIX operator at IBM (Montreal Canada). In my career path, I wish to become a system admin. I know about Linux because I'v had ubuntu at home for 2 years. What platform should I aim for in becoming a system admin ? What book would you recomand ? What certification would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

6. AIX

Role of sys admin during power outage in Data center

i am new to aix environment and all my servers are @ remote location just curious to know , what issues/tasks we will be facing when there is a power outage in a data centre, i heard outage's will be a challenging task for administrators.. any example of that sort will be a great help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rigin
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 101 : Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide

HOW-TO AIX Admin 101 Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide - AIX Worth checking it out and printing it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies
diskscan(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      diskscan(1M)

NAME
diskscan - perform surface analysis SYNOPSIS
diskscan [-W] [-n] [-y] raw_device DESCRIPTION
diskscan is used by the system administrator to perform surface analysis on a portion of a hard disk. The disk portion may be a raw parti- tion or slice; it is identified using its raw device name. By default, the specified portion of the disk is read (non-destructive) and errors reported on standard error. In addition, a progress report is printed on standard out. The list of bad blocks should be saved in a file and later fed into addbadsec(1M), which will remap them. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Causes diskscan to suppress linefeeds when printing progress information on standard out. -W Causes diskscan to perform write and read surface analysis. This type of surface analysis is destructive and should be invoked with caution. -y Causes diskscan to suppress the warning regarding destruction of existing data that is issued when -W is used. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?[ps]?. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbadsec(1M), disks(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the diskscan, addbad- sec(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS format utility; however, to label, ana- lyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 diskscan(1M)