Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris shutdown question from command line Post 302093182 by drisnya on Tuesday 17th of October 2006 09:44:26 PM
Old 10-17-2006
shutdown question from command line

solaris 10

logged in as root to command line...want to shut the system down....could not do this....when i chose shutdown the system seemed to squawk at me saying i'd lose whatever i was working on would be lost unless i logged out...after proceeding through this it took me to the gui log in screen...if i logged out of the session i just went back to the login...is there a way to shut the computer down from the command line? thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

shutdown question

Hi is shutdown and init 0 are same command in solaris? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
2 Replies

2. AIX

shutdown command

Hi, After issuing shutdown -F or shutdown -F now my server is getting restarted. Any Idea? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question about kernel module and system power-shutdown

Dear all, I've just installed a Vanilla kernel (last stable version downloaded from www.kernel.org) as an exercice in order to better understand how to compile linux kernel. I loaded the .config file of the current kernel (Redhat kernel) in the menuconfig in order to restore all already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
0 Replies

4. AIX

Shutdown command

Hi, is there a difference between shutdown -Fand shutdown -h now? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: x_adm
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command line question

I'm new to Unix and I'm looking for some assistance. We have 20 different accounts we must login to every day. Logging in has become quite the chore and most nights, we have to log out. I'm looking for a way to simply copy and paste the commands into each window to make things easier. I have been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Judo_Bear
2 Replies

6. BSD

Question: OpenBSD command line for checking list of library used by daemon

Hi All, I would like to ask what is the command line on OpenBSD which able to be used to check the list of library which used by specific daemon? For example, I would like to check what are the libraries which are used by ftpd. Thank you in advance. Regards, Stefan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to Unix command line and have a question about the "sort" command

I am going through the Unix Made Easy second edition book by John Muster. So far it's been very informative and I can tell it may be a bit out of date. In one of the exercises it talks about the "sort" command and using it to sort column's of data etc. The "sort" command has changed a bit and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budfoxcat
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Basic Linux command line question

:D:D:D These are list of command i typed on opensuse terminal and evolve lots of doubt around ,that i can't answer. COMMAND 1 linux-xavv:/ # cd COMMAND 2 linux-xavv:~ # Does above command 1 and command two with red labelled sign make different meaning or same . 1 linux-xavv:/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lobsang
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash command line

OS : RHEL / Oracle Linux 6.8 In bash shell, how can I replace a character under the cursor with another character ? In the below example , after I typed the following line, I realized that I meant 7013 and not 2013. So I move the cursor to the left and keep it on top of 2 (of 2013) and I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A question about Subversion and commit from the command line

Hey guys, so I want to start using the terminal when I do thinks like update, commit and whatnot. I am use to using kdesvn which is a GUI that helps me with subversion. However, kdesvn does not seem to play well on 18.04 and regardless I am trying to move away from GUI's in general. I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Circuits
1 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown, poweroff -- close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
shutdown [-] [-h | -p | -r | -k] [-o [-n]] time [warning-message ...] poweroff DESCRIPTION
The shutdown utility provides an automated shutdown procedure for super-users to nicely notify users when the system is shutting down, saving them from system administrators, hackers, and gurus, who would otherwise not bother with such niceties. The following options are available: -h The system is halted at the specified time. -p The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware support required) at the specified time. -r The system is rebooted at the specified time. -k Kick everybody off. The -k option does not actually halt the system, but leaves the system multi-user with logins disabled (for all but super-user). -o If one of the -h, -p or -r options are specified, shutdown will execute halt(8) or reboot(8) instead of sending a signal to init(8). -n If the -o option is specified, prevent the file system cache from being flushed by passing -n to halt(8) or reboot(8). This option should probably not be used. time Time is the time at which shutdown will bring the system down and may be the case-insensitive word now (indicating an immediate shut- down) or a future time in one of two formats: +number, or yymmddhhmm, where the year, month, and day may be defaulted to the current system values. The first form brings the system down in number minutes and the second at the absolute time specified. +number may be specified in units other than minutes by appending the corresponding suffix: ``s'', ``sec'', ``m'', ``min''. ``h'', ``hour''. warning-message Any other arguments comprise the warning message that is broadcast to users currently logged into the system. - If '-' is supplied as an option, the warning message is read from the standard input. At intervals, becoming more frequent as apocalypse approaches and starting at ten hours before shutdown, warning messages are displayed on the terminals of all users logged in. Five minutes before shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is in less than 5 minutes, logins are dis- abled by creating /var/run/nologin and copying the warning message there. If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, login(1) prints its contents and exits. The file is removed just before shutdown exits. At shutdown time a message is written to the system log, containing the time of shutdown, the person who initiated the shutdown and the rea- son. The corresponding signal is then sent to init(8) to respectively halt, reboot or bring the system down to single-user state (depending on the above options). The time of the shutdown and the warning message are placed in /var/run/nologin and should be used to inform the users about when the system will be back up and why it is going down (or anything else). A scheduled shutdown can be canceled by killing the shutdown process (a SIGTERM should suffice). The /var/run/nologin file that shutdown created will be removed automatically. When run without options, the shutdown utility will place the system into single user mode at the time specified. Calling ``poweroff'' is equivalent to running: shutdown -p now FILES
/var/run/nologin tells login(1) not to let anyone log in EXAMPLES
Reboot the system in 30 minutes and display a warning message on the terminals of all users currently logged in: # shutdown -r +30 "System will reboot" COMPATIBILITY
The hours and minutes in the second time format may be separated by a colon (``:'') for backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
kill(1), login(1), wall(1), nologin(5), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8) HISTORY
The shutdown utility appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
December 15, 2014 BSD