Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Startup script to clean out trash can Post 302092722 by Hitori on Thursday 12th of October 2006 02:07:57 AM
Old 10-12-2006
May be cron is a better solution?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing script to clean up a directory

I have to do a directory clean up on several machines. The task is as follows: go to a particular directory (cd /xxx) 1. create a directory ' SCRIPTCLEANUP ' ( i KNOW IT) loop through 2. List the directory 3. if directory and start with 'DQA' leave it, 4. if directory or file move it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

clean up script

I have a script which would monitor a given directory and delete any files which are older than 10 days. I was going to set the 10 crob jobs to perform this operation for 10 different directories (some are actually sub-directories), but my boss doesn't like that idea, so I need to do that in one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Script for automatic deletion of trash file of mail server

Hi, I have a mail server with limited space and operating system is sun solaris 8 (sparc). I do not have provisions to increase the space for home directory. So i have to delete files from /home/username/mail/trash which are more than 10 days old automatically. So my script should be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crown2100bd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean this script?

Hello guys, this script partially works but it's still pretty ugly and, moreover, if the month is jan/feb/mar... it doesn't work at all. Could anyone say me how to correct, cut and clean a little bit? #!/usr/bin/ksh egrep -v -e "^\s*#" /file/permission | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to FTP,clean up and email

Hi i need a unix script to do the following tasks. My folder structure is /home/MSTR/test and will have the following folder within it Cache Lookup Source Target 1. On the Source & Target folder i have to take a copy of files older than 5 days and move(FTP) it into local machines C:\Backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a shell script to clean data

Hi, Appreciated if anyone can throw some hint I have a file format like this: old(1): PRCNCP 1 old(2): PRSKU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'awk' help for script to clean out wireless.

I've been working on a script to clean out the wireless connections on my MAC. I know the terminal command to do this (that part is not rocket science ;) ) So I thought I would have a go at automating this but I'm having trouble with the 'awk' command & the correct context. My code is := ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Lien
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Script to clean files

Hello All, I need a script that would delete files which are more than "X" number of days old, also if there can be a log file of the deleted files for reference. I am from windows background hence finding it difficult. Any help is much appreciated Regards Wert (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wert468
4 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)