Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kshell scripts and timing
Operating Systems AIX Kshell scripts and timing Post 302092506 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 10th of October 2006 11:20:37 AM
Old 10-10-2006
Code:
time unix command1 && unix command2

Start with that - it will give time elapsed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp timing out

having problems using scp in that during peak hours it appears to time out. anyone have similar experiences? any thoughts regarding a solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jph
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing out a SSH

I need to make it so an autmated process which involves ssh, times out if ssh prompts for a password. Most of the time it shouldnt prompt for a password. But if it does i need it to time it out or get a status and stop the ssh and log that the ssh failed and move onto the next server. Is there any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
9 Replies

3. Programming

timing your functions

hi everyone. If you have a function created in your code and you want to find out how long it takes for it to run you can use a struct called gettimeofday(). so lets say we have a function like this int myfunction (int r) { /*some math calculations*/ return answer; } How do i set up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kshell variables and awk

Hi, Is it possible to initialise a shell variable and set it to a value from an awk command? i.e. #set myvalue = to the first 8 charachters of the line that begins with 0 myvalue = awk '/^0/ {substr($0,1,8)}' myvaluefile or even declare a variable, then reinitialise it as part of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshelluser
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running .sh script in kshell

hi i wrote a script in shell script(ChangeFiles.sh), now i need to run the script in korn shell. could anyone explain how to run the same script korn shell. thanks in advance Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring operation in kshell

Hi, Please let me know how to perform the substring operation in kshell. If i have line like below 238923893282389034893489458945904589045454903490 i would like to retrieve the position 7 to 19, how to do this in kshell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: informsrini
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KShell regular expresion

Hi, I would like to know if the parameter i am passing to a shell script is contain the following charachter : ASM. I belive that i should use regular expresion here. Can one help ? Bellow is the "if statment" i need to fix with the reg exp: if ; then #echo "IT IS AN RDBMS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help with Kshell Script!

I am an AIX noobie, and have a question around an AIX 5.2 script that I need to run. Security Audit requires us to have no World Writable files on our server, but every time we restart the Domino server on AIX it re-flags two files as World Writable. I have a little script that I created that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nebs
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing a script

i have a very big script i have that i'd like to add a timeout to. this script runs on a several remote host. i update this script with timeout clause and then copy it over to all the hosts on which it is currently on. basically, i want the timeout to make the script abort/exit if it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between kshell and bash shell scripts Example cited

Hi All, I need some urgent help regarding some info. I have a cluster of servers for which I have two scripts for management. control.sh is a bash script meant for restarting/stopping the servers. manger.ksh is a kshell script. It is a master script to manage restarting/stoppping and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
3 Replies
mktimer(3C)															       mktimer(3C)

NAME
mktimer - allocate a per-process timer SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function is used to allocate a per-process timer using the specified system-wide clock as the timing base. returns an unique timer ID of type used to identify the timer in timer requests (see gettimer(3C)). specifies the system-wide clock to be used as the timing base for the new timer. specifies the mechanism by which the process is to be notified when the timer expires. supports one per-process timer with a of and of If is the system causes a signal to be sent to the process whenever the timer expires. For the machine-dependent clock resolution and maximum value are and seconds, respectively. These constants are defined in RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns a which can be passed to the per_process timer calls. If unsuccessful, returns a value of and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails if any of the following conditions are encountered: [EAGAIN] The calling process has already allocated all of the timers it is allowed. [EINVAL] is not defined, or does not allow the specified notification mechanism. FILES
SEE ALSO timers(2), getclock(3C), gettimer(3C), reltimer(3C), rmtimer(3C), setclock(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mktimer(3C)