Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX enabling quota for the first time Post 302092493 by aix_admin on Tuesday 10th of October 2006 10:33:25 AM
Old 10-10-2006
Error enabling quota for the first time

Hai,

I have configured user quota for the /home directry. using

#chfs -a "quota = userquota" /home

#chfs -a "userquota = /home/myquota.user" /home

#edquota tom

By entering this command a blank file comes without any entries. when I tried to add entry like follows , bad format error comes.

Quotas for user tom:
/home blocks in use: 0, limits (soft =0, hard =0)
inodes in use: 0, limits (soft = 0, hard=250)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quota

I'm new to Unix and I'm trying to determin how much space I have on this system. the box is dedicated to Oracle and I log in as the oracle user and type quota. It retrunes nothing. Then I log on as root and type quota -v oracle.. It returns nothing! Gosh this is actually a solaris 5.7 box. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jarthda
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Quota-problem

Hello, I'm having some trouble with the quota's I've set on our HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800. Well not really with the quota's because I was able to set them and get them working without a problem but the problem resides somewhere with our AS/U (Advanced Server for HP9000 Release B.04.06.07 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrizz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quota Problem

Hi all! I'm a user of Debian Etch. I've problem with my accoun't quota. After I removed all of my files from my home directory, and typed: du -hs It showed me: 76K . But when I used quota command, it showed me: Disk quotas for user X (uid *********): Filesystem blocks quota ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Quota

Hi all, I am new to Unix admin. Can anyone tell me how to set disk quota for the users in /export/home directory? Pls specify the exact command. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quota threshold

Hi, I am trying to make a script in which the user is notified once the disk space of the environment increases a particular threshold. I have made a script for it but I am facing an error while executing it. Could any one here guide me further?? Script #!/bin/sh warninglimit=350000... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
22 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help With Quota Script

Hi everyone I'm really new to all this but i need help creating a script that will produce the following for each user when they log on using bash You are currently using 91% of your quota Consider reducing your usage The 10 biggest directories in your home directory are: Size Directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Snoop180
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

User quota

Hi, I want to apply the user quota, but i am unable to apply the quota to user. Kindly provide the guide line, so that i can sortout the problem. Step 1: Create partion on device #fdisk /dev/sda (because hard disk is scsi) #n (new partition table) i.e /dev/sda8. #p ( to print the partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahu.tapan
2 Replies

8. Linux

CentOS 5.3 quota

I am running on CentOS 5.3 x86 64bit. I setup quotas on /home as I thought successfully, I tested numerous times with a couple of different users. I login this morning and find my /home near 100% wondering what happened. I have one user that some how blew through his 3.5 gig quota and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beaker457
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Enabling time service in local zones

Hi, Is it possible to enable the time service in local zones? E.g. erahmanz1% svcs -a | grep -i time STATE STIME FMRI disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:dgram disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:stream disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/time:dgram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ERahman
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Setting quota

I would like to set quota for ALL USERS on a particular filesystem and the quota to be set for NEWLY CREATED USERS also. I am not sure, whether my question is clear. I can set quota for all users but my requirement is, I want the same quota to be set automatically for the user which is going... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
2 Replies
EDQUOTA(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						EDQUOTA(8)

NAME
edquota -- edit user quotas SYNOPSIS
edquota [-uh] [-f fspath] [-p proto-username] username ... edquota [-u] -e fspath[:bslim[:bhlim[:islim[:ihlim]]]] [-e ...] username ... edquota -g [-h] [-f fspath] [-p proto-groupname] groupname ... edquota -g -e fspath[:bslim[:bhlim[:islim[:ihlim]]]] [-e ...] groupname ... edquota -t [-u] [-f fspath] edquota -t -g [-f fspath] DESCRIPTION
The edquota utility is a quota editor. By default, or if the -u flag is specified, one or more users may be specified on the command line. For each user a temporary file is created with an ASCII representation of the current disk quotas for that user. The list of file systems with user quotas is determined from /etc/fstab. An editor is invoked on the ASCII file. The editor invoked is vi(1) unless the environment variable EDITOR specifies otherwise. The quotas may then be modified, new quotas added, etc. Block quotas can be specified in bytes (B), kilobytes (K), megabytes (M), terabytes (T), petabytes (P), or exabytes (E). If no units are specified, kilobytes are assumed. Inode quotas can be specified in kiloinodes (K), megainodes (M), terainodes (T), petainodes (P), or exainodes (E). If no units are specified, the number of inodes specified are used. If the -h flag is specified, the editor will always display the block usage and limits in a more human readable format rather than displaying them in the historic kilobyte format. Setting a quota to zero indicates that no quota should be imposed. Setting a hard limit to one indi- cates that no allocations should be permitted. Setting a soft limit to one with a hard limit of zero indicates that allocations should be permitted only on a temporary basis (see -t below). The current usage information in the file is for informational purposes; only the hard and soft limits can be changed. On leaving the editor, edquota reads the temporary file and modifies the binary quota files to reflect the changes made. If the -p option is specified, edquota will duplicate the quotas of the prototypical user specified for each user specified. This is the normal mechanism used to initialize quotas for groups of users. If the user given to assign quotas to is a numerical uid range (e.g. 1000-2000), then edquota will duplicate the quotas of the prototypical user for each uid in the range specified. This allows for easy setup of default quotas for a group of users. The uids in question do not have to be currently assigned in /etc/passwd. If one or more -e fspath[:bslim[:bhlim[:islim[:ihlim]]]] options are specified, edquota will non-interactively set quotas defined by bslim, bhlim, islim, and ihlim on each particular file system referenced by fspath. Here bslim is the soft limit on the number of blocks, bhlim is the hard limit on the number of blocks, islim is the soft limit on the number of files, and ihlim is the hard limit on the number of files. If any of the bslim, bhlim, islim, and ihlim values is omitted, it is assumed to be zero, therefore indicating that no particular quota should be imposed. Block quotas can be specified in bytes (B), kilobytes (K), megabytes (M), terabytes (T), petabytes (P), or exabytes (E). If no units are specified, kilobytes are assumed. Inode quotas can be specified in kiloinodes (K), megainodes (M), terainodes (T), petain- odes (P), or exainodes (E). If no units are specified, the number of inodes specified are used. If invoked with the -f option, edquota will read and modify quotas on the file system specified by fspath only. The fspath argument may be either a special device or a file system mount point. The primary purpose of this option is to set the scope for the -p option, which would overwrite quota records on every file system with quotas otherwise. If the -g flag is specified, edquota is invoked to edit the quotas of one or more groups specified on the command line. The -p flag can be specified in conjunction with the -g flag to specify a prototypical group to be duplicated among the listed set of groups. Similarly, -e flag can be specified in conjunction with the -g flag to non-interactively set-up quotas on the listed set of groups. Users are permitted to exceed their soft limits for a grace period that may be specified per file system. Once the grace period has expired, the soft limit is enforced as a hard limit. The default grace period for a file system is specified in <ufs/ufs/quota.h>. The -t flag can be used to change the grace period. By default, or when invoked with the -u flag, the grace period is set for all the file systems with user quotas specified in /etc/fstab. When invoked with the -g flag the grace period is set for all the file systems with group quotas specified in /etc/fstab. The grace period may be specified in days, hours, minutes, or seconds. Setting a grace period to zero indicates that the default grace period should be imposed. Setting a grace period to one second indicates that no grace period should be granted. Quotas must be turned off for the file system and then turned back on for the new grace period to take effect. Only the super-user may edit quotas. FILES
quota.user at the file system root with user quotas quota.group at the file system root with group quotas /etc/fstab to find file system names and locations DIAGNOSTICS
Various messages about inaccessible files; self-explanatory. SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), fstab(5), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), repquota(8) BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD