Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Security Issue with Standard Input? Post 302092492 by yall on Tuesday 10th of October 2006 10:04:05 AM
Old 10-10-2006
Will do going forward...

I'll give your fix a try... Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard input

how can i redirect standard input? i dont remember :/, though could you redirec not from a command? i mean, to redirect always stdin and stout (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jariya
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy from standard input

I tried copy the output files from find command into a directory. Example, find / -name core 2>/dev/null | xargs cp???? I have known that we can use xargs to execute command lines from standard input but how to use it in this case. Or I can do something besides xargs. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change standard input ?

Dear... I have a scrpit that contains multiple read command.... when I run the script I have to enter 3 variables so that I can get the output.. but, I dont want to put those 3 inputs manually every time... I want to make a shell that reads the 3 inputs from a file. the script name is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
4 Replies

4. Solaris

standard input

Please give me any example for standard input in Solaris. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from standard input with awk

Hello, Could somebody please give me an awk example on how to read from the standard input. It means as the "read" function in Korn shell. Thx in advance ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Standard Input

Hello, I am new to scripting. How do I read multiple lines from the command line? I know read reads one line, but if I have to read multiple lines, how should I do? Thanks, Prasanna (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from standard input

So, I am new to shell scripting and have a few problems. I know how to read from standard input but I do not know how to really compare it to say, a character. I am trying to compare it to a character and anything exceeding just a character, the user will get an output message, but the program... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard input and cron

I have a program that requires the user to enter input values while it is being run for example in bash ... ... .. echo "Enter your input" read input echo $input ... ... ...I need to schedule this program with crontab, hence a problem, cronjobs run in the background, any ideas on how to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: walforum
10 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Removing punctuations from file input or standard input

Just started learning Unix and received my first assignment recently. We haven't learned many commands and honestly, I'm stumped. I'd like to receive assistance/guidance/hints. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: How do I write a shell script that takes in a file or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozilla
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Security hardening for standard HP-UX users

Hi, The standard accounts that are created during the HP-UX installation, eg, bin,adm,daemon,uucp,lp,hpdb and nobody have their own shell. Will there be any impact if we change these user's shell to /bin/false? Like processes get interrupted, files cannot be generated, etc. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies
ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)					      General Commands Manual						ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)

NAME
annotate-output - annotate program output with time and stream SYNOPSIS
annotate-output [options] program [args ...] DESCRIPTION
annotate-output will execute the specified program, while prepending every line with the current time and O for stdout and E for stderr. OPTIONS
+FORMAT Controls the timestamp format, as per date(1). Defaults to "%H:%M:%S". -h, --help Display a help message and exit successfully. EXAMPLE
$ annotate-output make 21:41:21 I: Started make 21:41:21 O: gcc -Wall program.c 21:43:18 E: program.c: Couldn't compile, and took me ages to find out 21:43:19 E: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status 21:43:19 E: make: *** [all] Error 1 21:43:19 I: Finished with exitcode 2 BUGS
Since stdout and stderr are processed in parallel, it can happen that some lines received on stdout will show up before later-printed stderr lines (and vice-versa). This is unfortunately very hard to fix with the current annotation strategy. A fix would involve switching to PTRACE'ing the process. Giving nice a (much) higher priority over the executed program could however cause this behaviour to show up less frequently. The program does not work as well when the output is not linewise. In particular, when an interactive program asks for input, the question might not be shown until after you have answered it. This will give the impression that the annotated program has hung, while it has not. SEE ALSO
date(1) SUPPORT
This program is community-supported (meaning: you'll need to fix it yourself). Patches are however appreciated, as is any feedback (posi- tive or negative). AUTHOR
annotate-output was written by Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> This manpage comes under the same copyright as annotate-output itself, read /usr/bin/annotate-output (or wherever you install it) for the details. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities ANNOTATE-OUTPUT(1)