Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to select lines in unix matches a pattern at a particular position Post 302092145 by cs_banda on Friday 6th of October 2006 03:28:18 PM
Old 10-06-2006
thanks. It worked...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk/sed/grep lines which contains a pattern at a given position

Dear friends I am new to linux and was trying to split some files userwise in our linux server. I have a data file of 156 continuous columns named ecscr final. I want the script to redirect all the lines containing a pattern of 7 digits to separate files. I was using grep to do that,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file where the second field matches a pattern

Howdy. I know this is most likely possible using sed or awk or grep, most likely a combination of them together, but how would one go about running a grep like command on a file where you only try to match your pattern to the second field in a line, space delimited? Example: You are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines from one file if pattern matches

I have one comma separated file (a.txt) with two or more records all matching except for the last column. I would like to merge all matching lines into one and consolidate the last column, separated by ":". Does anyone know of a way to do this easily? I've searched the forum but most talked... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines if pattern matches in ksh

I have a file like this. Pls help me to solve this . (I should look for only Message : 111 and need to print the start time to end time Need to ignore other type of messages. Ex: if first message is 111 and second message is 000 or anything else then ignore the 2nd one and print start time of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnjx
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK to remove lines that matches a specific pattern

Hi, I have requirement that I need to split my input file into two files based on a search pattern "abc" For eg. my input file has below content abc defgh zyx I need file 1 with abc and file2 with defgh zyx I can use grep command to acheive this. But with grep I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbhuvana20
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete lines from a txt file if pattern matches

File 6 dbnawldb010-b office Memphis_Corp_SQL_Diff Memphis-Corp-SQL-Inc-Application-Backup 03/09/11 03:24:04 42 luigi-b IPNRemitDB Memphis_Corp_SQL_Diff Memphis-Corp-SQL-Inc-Application-Backup 03/10/11 00:41:36 6 ebs-sqldev1-b IPNTracking Memphis_Corp_SQL_Diff... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select lines randomly without replacement in UNIX?

Dear Folks I have one column of 15000 lines and want to select randomly 5000 of them in five different times without replacement. I am aware that command 'shuf' and 'sort -R' could select randomly those lines but I am not sure how could I avoid the replacement of selection line. Does anyone have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I select certain columns with matching pattern and rest of the lines?

I want to select 2nd, 3rd columns if line has "key3" and print rest of the lines as is. # This is my sample input key1="val1" key2="val2" key3="val3" key4="val4" some text some text some text some text key1="val1" key2="val2" key3="val3" key4="val4" some text some text some text some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Index to get position matches pattern

Input data as below (filetest.txt): 1|22 JAN Minimum Bal 20.00 | SAT 2|09 FEB Extract bal 168.00BR | REM 3|MIN BAL | LEX Output should be: ( If there is Date & Month in 2nd field of Input file, It should be seperated else blank. If There is Decimal OR Decimal & Currency in last of the 2nd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

find pattern matches in consecutive lines in certain fields-awk

I have a text file with many thousands of lines, a small sample of which looks like this: InputFile:PS002,003 D -1 5 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 6 6 -1 -1 -1 -1 0 509 0 PS002,003 PSQ 0 1 7 18 1 0 -1 1 1 3 -1 -1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
EvmEventNameMatch(3)					     Library Functions Manual					      EvmEventNameMatch(3)

NAME
EvmEventNameMatch(), EvmEventNameMatchStr() - match EVM event name SYNOPSIS
Library EVM Support Library Parameters pattern The event name pattern sought. The pattern may be any valid event name string. It may include wildcard characters in place of any component. event The event containing the event name to be compared against the pattern. match The result of the match. This operand is set to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. candidate A character string to be matched against the pattern DESCRIPTION
Because special matching rules apply when deciding whether a candidate event name matches a known name, the EVM name matching functions should be used for matching purposes, rather than the C string comparison functions The EVM functions match an event name against a sup- plied pattern, ignoring any trailing appended components in the candidate name, and correctly matching wildcard characters. The function takes an event and an event name pattern as input, and returns an indication of whether the event contains a name which matches the pattern in the match output argument. The pattern may be any valid event name string, and may also include wildcard characters in place of any component. A wildcard in the pattern matches zero or more name components. A matches exactly one component. A match occurs if the event name matches all components indicated by the pattern, even if the name has additional trailing elements. The function performs the same check as but takes a character string as the candidate event name, instead of extracting the candidate event name from a supplied event. Both functions set the match output argument to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. RETURN VALUE
The operation completed without error. The comparison was successful. The value of the match operand indicates whether the name matches the pattern. One of the arguments to the function is invalid. The supplied pattern contains invalid characters. The supplied event does not contain a name. ERRORS
The value of is not set. SEE ALSO
Routines memccpy(3C), strcat(3C). Event Management EVM(5). EVM Events EvmEvent(5). EvmEventNameMatch(3)