Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Most common version of UNIX on production systems Post 302091887 by dutchman on Thursday 5th of October 2006 04:00:15 PM
Old 10-05-2006
Most common version of UNIX on production systems

I am new to UNIX (about a year) and learning as fast as I can. I am an instructor teaching UNIX and have two labs with Ultra 10 333 MHz, Sun Blade 1000 1 GHz, Blade 100, and Two Enterprise 250 Servers. We are currently teaching our classes using the Solaris 2.10 OS, downloaded in May 2006, I am not sure of the exact release. I have heard that version 10 is rarely used in production systems and that most businesses are using 2.8. If this is the case, should we be teaching students on the OS that they are most likely to be using when they are hired? I am familiar enough with Solaris 2.9 to see some of the differences between 2.9 and 2.10, but completely unfamiliar with Solaris 2.8.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

music production, unix

okay, so i'm using windows right now because i produce electronic music and all my software is written for windows. i want to get rid of microsoft's os, so i'm wondering if there is an easy way to run these windows programs on a unix system. maybe a windows emulator for x-windows or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dominant Unix in production?

What's the dominant Unix in production environment? Solaris or Linux? HP-UX and AIX have never been "dominant", while HP-UX is widely used in financial circles... Is Linux reallly where it's all going for major production environments running Oracle/SAP/whatever or will Solaris remain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etc
1 Replies

3. BSD

Copying OpenBSD Kernel from a non production to production machine

Hi All, There are few OpenBSD 4.8 servers without compiler installed at my working place. However, sometimes there are some patches released for patching the kernel. My question is: Can I setup a non production OpenBSD 4.8 server as a test machine with compiler installed and use it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To delete the common parts (version and suffix) to get the package name

I have lots of package version +suffix full name, but I just want to get the package name, which means delete the common parts eg: dtc-1.3.0+gitAUTOINC+033089f29099bdfd5c2d6986cdb9fd07b16cfde0-r4.1.x86_64.rpm ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

Regarding firmware and kernel version of HP-UX systems.

Dear All, Please help to find out the patch and firmware versions in HP-UX systems. as uname -r is showing os version and uname -a HP-UX xxxxxx B.11.23 U 9000/800 2781427196 unlimited-user license. Kindly help to find out the existing Kernel and firmware versions. Also I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
3 Replies
LINUX(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD