Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCO 5.07 Panic / Core Dumps
Operating Systems SCO SCO 5.07 Panic / Core Dumps Post 302091762 by ccarcher on Thursday 5th of October 2006 04:37:57 AM
Old 10-05-2006
Thanks for that,

previously read both of those articles

system all set to dump a panic straight to tape in theory, also users also been given information on how to manually attempt to dump any panic image to tape

just waiting for the next panic to happen now Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reading core dumps

Does anyone know how to read core dumps. Is gdb the only tool for it ? The OS is Solaris. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Generating core dumps

I have the following set up on a Sun server running solaris 5.8 for core dump generation coreadm global core file pattern: /var/core init core file pattern: /var/core global core dumps: enabled per-process core dumps: enabled global setid core dumps:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
4 Replies

3. Programming

strcmp core dumps

hi everyone, Right now when I do: strcmp(s1, s2); i get a core dump because at times s1 or s2 can be nothing so that makes strcmp() core dump. What is the solution, if at times I expect one of them (or both) to be NULL? I want to be able to compare that s1 is NULL and s2 is "blah" or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: annie
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using GDB to analyse different CORE dumps

Hi, Can we modify the GDB source code so as to analyze core dumps from different targets? From my analysis, I think we need to build our section table statically for each target. i.e., including the various address boundaries in build_section_table() function. If this is the case, then the GDB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsdeeps
2 Replies

5. Programming

AIX core dumps

My program is not dumping core when hitting a segmentation violation inside a thread. However, it dumps core when the segv occurs within main. Any ideas on how to diagnose this? AIX 5.3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean66
4 Replies

6. Solaris

core dumps

i had a situation where a process was defunct. preap would not reap the process and gcore would not work properly (not sure why). therefore, the suggestion was to force a panic and collect the core dump. obviously you could do a savecore -L and capture the dump without bringing down the system.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

enabling core dumps for daemon processes

Hello, I am debugging a program which works as daemon. It sigfaults, unfortunately I'm unable to generate core dump file. Here is what I am doing: tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep 'core_pattern'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tsurko
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

generating core dumps

Hi I have a Fedora installed and I try to generate my application's core dump file. My system has no coredump limit: $ ulimit core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited But when my application crashes no core dumps generated. I can generate dump file using gcore but it is not appropraite... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyzt
1 Replies

9. Programming

Stack only core dumps

I'm working on a program in Linux with a group of people scattered around the country. When we have a crash, I like to send a core dump to the appropriate person so that they can understand the problem better. The problem is that our application uses several gigabytes worth of data and these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmsterner
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Generate core dumps

kill -SEGV <pid> gives me the core file for that process but also terminates the process. Can I not get the core dump without terminating the process ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
RESTOR(1M)																RESTOR(1M)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restart). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(1) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the filesystem was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus /etc/mkfs /dev/rp0 40600 restor r /dev/rp0 is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
default tape unit varies with installation rst* SEE ALSO
dump(1), mkfs(1), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when the next tape has been mounted. BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor doesn't use it. RESTOR(1M)