Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: strange problem for substr
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers strange problem for substr Post 302091551 by mahabunta on Tuesday 3rd of October 2006 02:48:18 PM
Old 10-03-2006
I guess problem is coming because of default value of IFS variable...
When I set that to new variable the code is working fine

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange problem.Please Help !

I¡¯m a network operator, mine is an IBM PC server 320, operating system SCO unix 3.2v4.2, triton 3.1 of Baan. Recently, my server went dead every a few hours, no sign & signal shows malfunction suddenly. It looks like a sudden power failure, but the indicator of main power supply is on. Normal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lyhsm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Problem

I did an installation of Redhat 7.1 and it seem to install smoothly. I go and reboot and I get the following message: "INIT: Id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes" The screen flashes 4 times every 10 seconds or so. I can't seem to figure why this does this. It might be a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forjohnny
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

strange...problem

Hi.. Some of my application were not running properly due to lack of virtual memory.....so wht i did add one free harddisk as swap file system...and increased the swap memory.. But since than my root file system is showing 100% full thr is no space left...is thr any link between these two..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
1 Replies

4. Linux

very strange problem

I have installed Fedora Core on a Toshiba Satellite Pro4600 laptop recently I have experienced a rather mysterious problem if I touch anything specially the keyboard or mouse I see this stuff “67yujhnmyyy” straight away some time it won't stop for while like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kemobyte
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr problem in KSH

in my script i have a command which will sum a particular value of all the lines in a file not beginning with H or T . I have given the following commands ------------------------------------------------------------- RCRD_CTRL_VAL_1_SUM=`awk '/^/{... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asinha63
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange problem

I am using SunOS 5.9 and I don't know why all my commands are getting executed as if an extra 'enter' has been pressed. What could be the reason and how to correct it? Please help. Asty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asty
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange problem.

Well, my script started off to do what i wanted. Now, i think its not recognizing the pattern so its not moving anything. What i have to do is execute my script command for the move to take effect. So i did that and yayy it worked. Strange thing is that my DESTDIR was empty to begin with.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Problem

Hi All, I am encountering an unexpected problem while running my process, using daemon placed in /etc/init.d/. I have a process that is opening shared library using dlopen. When I run my process on the command line, it is able to open the library. But when I used daemon to run my process, I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwerty-1
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning substr to a variable inside awk

Hi All, I have a fixed-width datafile from which i need to extract value/string starting from some position to the specified length in each of the lines. awk '{print substr($0,x,y)}' datafile --- is working fine but awk 'BEGIN{a=0}{a=substr($0,x,y);print $a}' datafile ---is giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange problem

hello all, i am having problem in accessing a directory.I dont think its a permission issue.can anyone help me out. I am using korn sell code: $ ls -ltr sc* lrwxrwxrwx 1 essbase essbase 21 Oct 8 2010 sc_ssp -> /work/nfs/nas2/sc_ssp $ cd sc_ssp ksh: sc_ssp: not found $ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manid
6 Replies
EXPR(1) 								FSF								   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
expr EXPRESSION expr OPTION DESCRIPTION
--help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Print the value of EXPRESSION to standard output. A blank line below separates increasing precedence groups. EXPRESSION may be: ARG1 | ARG2 ARG1 if it is neither null nor 0, otherwise ARG2 ARG1 & ARG2 ARG1 if neither argument is null or 0, otherwise 0 ARG1 < ARG2 ARG1 is less than ARG2 ARG1 <= ARG2 ARG1 is less than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 = ARG2 ARG1 is equal to ARG2 ARG1 != ARG2 ARG1 is unequal to ARG2 ARG1 >= ARG2 ARG1 is greater than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 > ARG2 ARG1 is greater than ARG2 ARG1 + ARG2 arithmetic sum of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 - ARG2 arithmetic difference of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 * ARG2 arithmetic product of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 / ARG2 arithmetic quotient of ARG1 divided by ARG2 ARG1 % ARG2 arithmetic remainder of ARG1 divided by ARG2 STRING : REGEXP anchored pattern match of REGEXP in STRING match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP substr STRING POS LENGTH substring of STRING, POS counted from 1 index STRING CHARS index in STRING where any CHARS is found, or 0 length STRING length of STRING + TOKEN interpret TOKEN as a string, even if it is a keyword like `match' or an operator like `/' ( EXPRESSION ) value of EXPRESSION Beware that many operators need to be escaped or quoted for shells. Comparisons are arithmetic if both ARGs are numbers, else lexicograph- ical. Pattern matches return the string matched between ( and ) or null; if ( and ) are not used, they return the number of characters matched or 0. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for expr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and expr programs are properly installed at your site, the command info expr should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 EXPR(1)