Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: -o switch in find
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting -o switch in find Post 302091257 by grasper on Saturday 30th of September 2006 01:17:03 PM
Old 09-30-2006
-o switch in find

Hello all

I'm experimenting with the use of the -prune action and I've encountered some confusing behaviour when using the -o option. Can't find anything specific in the man page.

If I have a directory within my current directory called testlink and I run:-

find . -name testlink -prune

I get what I would expect - the name of the directory, but none of the contents, since the -prune switch has prevented the command descending. However, if I run:-

find . -name testlink -prune -o -print

Then all other files/directories in the current one are displayed, but not the testlink directory.

My understanding is that the -o option is a 'short-circuit' OR, in which case, having returned true with the left-hand expression, should the -print action be performed? Also, shouldn't the testlink directory be displayed?

I'm using SunOS 5.5.1, using KSH.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can you switch

hi, i am try to run following script in c-shell, using switch command. #!/bin/csh choice=0 while do echo "system monitor" echo " 1) system paging 2) system file inf. 3) system disk inf. 9) exit " echo "select an option: \c" read choice case $choice in 1)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neer45
3 Replies

2. Programming

Switch

using switch can we match for more than one values.. eg: switcha(a) { case 1, 2, 3: printf("ddd"); break; case 4, 5, 6: printf("mmm"); break; } In this case wat i found was only for the last value, i.e 3 and 6 the switch works. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
12 Replies

3. Programming

do-while inside switch

Hi All, Could anybody please explain to me, why this piece of code compiles. void duff(register char *to, register char *from, register int count) { register int n=(count+7)/8; switch(count%8){ case 0: do{ *to++ = *from++; case 7: *to++ = *from++; case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

To find switch port of machine running under VMware

I would like to find a switch port( of a VLAN of CISCO switch) of a machine which is acutally running under VMware. Now I only know about IP & MAC address of a machine which running under VMware and I do not know about the real machine where VMware is installed. Is there any possibility? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and "-print" switch

I would like to know what is "-print" switch for. I read the man page but still I don't understand why we need that switch. Thank you very much! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help for cp with -p switch

Guys, I need to copy files from source to destination with datetime preserved I did it with cp -p <source>/file <destinaltion>/file But when I do stat command on copied file , it seems the copied file has "change time" modified. Please guide me in understanding (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Find Brocade SAN switch’s IP in Sun server?

We have a Sun M5000 connecting to a Brocade SAN switch. I don't know the IP of the Brocade switch and don't want to use its serial port to get the info. How can I find the IP of the Brocade switch under Solaris 10? Snoop is not supported by Solaris multipathing. What other tools can I use to find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing switch case for find and replace specific file. Help Me...

case "$inputs" in sapte) find /pools/home_unix/sapte/work/models/model -name "*.xml" exec rm -i {} \;; ckm1) find /pools/home_unix/ckm1/work/models/model -name "*.xml" exec rm -i {} \;; I am getting error like as below. ./menu1.sh: line 144: syntax error near unexpected token `)'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Switch to su

Hi, I've put the correct root password but why do I get this below? huamin@SOL11I:~$ su Password: su: Sorry huamin@SOL11I:~$ Many Thanks & Best Regards, HuaMin (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: HuaMin
16 Replies
GIT-PRUNE(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-PRUNE(1)

NAME
       git-prune - Prune all unreachable objects from the object database

SYNOPSIS
       git prune [-n] [-v] [--progress] [--expire <time>] [--] [<head>...]

DESCRIPTION
	   Note
	   In most cases, users should run git gc, which calls git prune. See the section "NOTES", below.

This runs git fsck --unreachable using all the refs available in refs/, optionally with additional set of objects specified on the command
       line, and prunes all unpacked objects unreachable from any of these head objects from the object database. In addition, it prunes the
       unpacked objects that are also found in packs by running git prune-packed. It also removes entries from .git/shallow that are not reachable
       by any ref.

Note that unreachable, packed objects will remain. If this is not desired, see git-repack(1).

OPTIONS
       -n, --dry-run
	   Do not remove anything; just report what it would remove.

-v, --verbose
	   Report all removed objects.

--progress
	   Show progress.

--expire <time>
	   Only expire loose objects older than <time>.

--
	   Do not interpret any more arguments as options.

<head>...
	   In addition to objects reachable from any of our references, keep objects reachable from listed <head>s.

EXAMPLE
       To prune objects not used by your repository or another that borrows from your repository via its .git/objects/info/alternates:

$ git prune $(cd ../another && git rev-parse --all)

NOTES
       In most cases, users will not need to call git prune directly, but should instead call git gc, which handles pruning along with many other
       housekeeping tasks.

For a description of which objects are considered for pruning, see git fsck's --unreachable option.

SEE ALSO
       git-fsck(1), git-gc(1), git-reflog(1)

GIT
       Part of the git(1) suite

Git 2.17.1							    10/05/2018							      GIT-PRUNE(1)