Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcards in SED
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wildcards in SED Post 302090864 by ghostdog74 on Wednesday 27th of September 2006 07:32:06 PM
Old 09-27-2006
Alternative , without regular expression

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
string = "some text in front From here in the middle to here at the end"
fromindex = string.index("From here")
toindex = string.index("to here")
tobeReplace = string[ fromindex : toindex + len("to here") ]
string.replace( tobeReplace , "new text")

Output:
Code:
'some text in front new test at the end'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use wildcards in a script

Hello I have this script: #!/bin/ksh INPUTFILE=$1 TEMPFILE=$INPUTFILE.$$ OUTPUTFILE=$INPUTFILE.new # nr of arguments has to be 1 if then echo "\nUsage: $0 inputfile\n" return 1 fi # inputfile must exist and be readable if then (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: emferrari
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Wildcards and Special Characters

Hi All, Need you guys' help to achieve the following: I have some strings and i wish to threw off the end part that's in the file path. From: /directoryname1/subdirectoryname1/abc.txt /directoryname2/subdirectoryname2/defggf.txt To: /directoryname1/subdirectoryname1/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radeon
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards in path

Is there some rule about using wildcards in path? Say I want to create a file, but one of the directories in the path is called 1433d.default and on different machines it will be called <some other string>.default touch ~/Library/Application/*.default/myfile In theory I thought that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Wildcards in scp

to scp using windcards you use the following : scp 'hostname:/home/username/diff_201110*' . Enjoy ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
0 Replies
DXmCSTextReplace(3X)													      DXmCSTextReplace(3X)

NAME
DXmCSTextReplace - Replaces a specified segment of text in a compound string text widget. SYNOPSIS
DXmCSTextStatus DXmCSTextReplace( Widget widget, int from_pos, int to_pos, XmString value ); PARAMETERS
The identifier (widget ID) of the compound string text widget. An integer that represents the first character position of the text being replaced. An integer that represents the last character position of the text being replaced. Replacement text for part of the current text in the compound string text widget, or additional text to be inserted into the compound string text widget. DESCRIPTION
The DXmCSTextReplace routine replaces part of the text in the compound string text widget. Within the widget, positions are numbered starting at 0 and increasing sequentially. For example, to replace the second and third characters in the text, from_pos should be 1 and to_pos should be 3. To insert text after the fourth character, from_pos and to_pos should both be 4. RETURN VALUES
A value that represents the status (success or failure) of the replace operation, as follows: -------------------------------------------------------- Value Description -------------------------------------------------------- DXmCSTextStatusEditDone Text replaced successfully. DXmCSTextStatusEditError Text not replaced (failure). -------------------------------------------------------- SEE ALSO
DXmCreateCSText(3X), DXmCSTextSetString(3X), DXmCSTextGetString(3X) DXmCSTextReplace(3X)