Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command explanation needed Post 302090547 by subbukns on Tuesday 26th of September 2006 11:05:05 AM
Old 09-26-2006
Hi

Hi Jean-Pierre,

why I have asked you only sed command is .... I don't want to use tail command (it's truncating some part of data as it handles in only 20 k buffer). Let me know any other options available except tail.

Thank you very much,
Subbu.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exec explanation needed

Hello! I want to read a file line by line and have each line in a variable. I have found the following code. #!/bin/bash exec 3< data while read <&3 do echo "The number is $REPLY" a.out "$REPLY" done exec 3>&- I don't understand the use of exec and its arguments, though having read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: myle
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED command explanation

can someone please explain the below sed command.. sed 's/\(*|\)\(.*\)/\2\1/' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the command sed -n -e 's_.*>\(.*\)<.*_\1_p' filename.xml

Hi Friends, I am trying to modify a script .The script contains this line: sed -n -e 's_.*>\(.*\)<.*_\1_p' filename.xml I am not great in sed command.I know, it is regular expression to match a pattern string that starts with s_ and ends with 1_.I doesnot give the desired result. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation Needed

Hi all, I'm very new to UNIX. I have got a coding, where i dont understand the below part. Could someone please explain it in detail? awk 'NR > 1; NR == 1 { S = $0 } END { print S }' $textfile.bak > $textfile could someone explain what awk 'NR > 1; NR == 1 { S = $0 } END { print S }' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghulshekar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed sorting command explanation

sed '$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D' i found this file which removes duplicates irrespective for sorted or unsorted file. keep first occurance and remove the further occurances. can any1 explain how this is working.. i need to remove duplicates following file. duplicate criteria is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
3 Replies

6. Programming

Python 3.1 TypeError explanation needed

Could someone explain why Python 3.1 errors out below? Do I need an additional module that's not required in 3.2 perhaps? I need to use 3.1 as it's the version available on a server I am using. Python 3.2.1rc1 (default, May 18 2011, 11:01:17) on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep - Explanation needed.

grep -E '^(++){5}5000' <file_name> this command searches value 5000 in only 6th column from provided file where pipe ( | )is delimiter which separate columns... can some one plz explain me what '^(++){5}5000' actually does..? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Killer420
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation

Will someone give me an explanation on how the sed command below works. sed 's/.*//' Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little explanation needed on array

I had gone through..google search.....and unix user post.......where I found so many ways of accessing files..... suppose if I am having 4 files, each file is having 3 columns, and I want to use each field of each column, then how can I use it.. how can I create array for each file's each column,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation for Scripts Inner Workings Needed

#!/bin/bash n=$l; typeset -a v x=$(< input.dat) check(){ if; then sed 's/Test/Proc/g' file.sh >fl.sh else exit 13 fi } check $n while ; do x=`expr $x -l` v=$x done less fi.sh l>/dev/null&& echo yes || exit 1 echo v= ${v } exit 0 I have file.sh and input.dat in the current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananasprite
3 Replies
TAIL(1) 							   User Commands							   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - output the last part of files SYNOPSIS
tail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print the last 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=K output the last K bytes; alternatively, use -c +K to output bytes starting with the Kth of each file -f, --follow[={name|descriptor}] output appended data as the file grows; -f, --follow, and --follow=descriptor are equivalent -F same as --follow=name --retry -n, --lines=K output the last K lines, instead of the last 10; or use -n +K to output lines starting with the Kth --max-unchanged-stats=N with --follow=name, reopen a FILE which has not changed size after N (default 5) iterations to see if it has been unlinked or renamed (this is the usual case of rotated log files) --pid=PID with -f, terminate after process ID, PID dies -q, --quiet, --silent never output headers giving file names --retry keep trying to open a file even when it is or becomes inaccessible; useful when following by name, i.e., with --follow=name -s, --sleep-interval=N with -f, sleep for approximately N seconds (default 1.0) between iterations -v, --verbose always output headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If the first character of K (the number of bytes or lines) is a `+', print beginning with the Kth item from the start of each file, other- wise, print the last K items in the file. K may have a multiplier suffix: b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, GB 1000*1000*1000, G 1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. With --follow (-f), tail defaults to following the file descriptor, which means that even if a tail'ed file is renamed, tail will continue to track its end. This default behavior is not desirable when you really want to track the actual name of the file, not the file descrip- tor (e.g., log rotation). Use --follow=name in that case. That causes tail to track the named file in a way that accommodates renaming, removal and creation. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Ian Lance Taylor, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report tail bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report tail translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tail is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tail programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'tail invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 TAIL(1)