Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Help:error in reading from stdin Post 302090433 by Corona688 on Monday 25th of September 2006 03:58:02 PM
Old 09-25-2006
You're still missing many important bits of your program; every time I ask you to post more, you post less.

And just making your function an int isn't going to magically make it start returning error codes; you're still not doing any error checking, at all, ever. Your program could probably tell you what's going wrong if you'd let it.

Even a simple thing like
Code:
if(freopen(str,"w",stdout)==NULL)
{
  fprintf(stderr,"Couldn't freopen\n");
  return(0);
}
else
  fprintf(stderr,"freopened to %s\n",str);

return(1);

would do a lot to narrow down what's going wrong.

Also, as I explained before, unless you're using some bizzare nonstandard shell, your shell is probably redirecting to file for you. Your program won't see > in the arguments at all. You have to use '>' instead of > to convince the shell to pass it as a string instead of processing it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error reading from tape

Hi all, I am attempting to read tar images from a DLT tape, and have recieved an error, which i don't know: tar: blocksize = 8 tar: directory checksum error I have been able to read from other tapes, using the same command (tar -tvf /devicename) but this time i have an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colesy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading from tape error

I have been attempting to read a DLT tape, but encountered problems. I have applied patches from SUN that 'resolve' known problems with tape reading etc...but still the error! Techsupport reckon that the data/tape is corrupt. I would like to think they aren't. Are there any issues with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: colesy
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading an Error message

I have a script that reads a file then moves all the files that are listed within that file. So read file A then copy all files that are listed within. I have the script append a log everytime a file is moved. My issue is that it's appending the log even though the file was not found. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
3 Replies

4. Solaris

error reading sections error at install

Hi, I'm trying to install Solaris 10 on my Ultra 10 but it won't boot. I tried an original cd and a downloaded one. I got the following error: "error reading sectors" (yes, i checked the md5 sums) For the complete error see the following shot: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doelman
2 Replies

5. Programming

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from stdin in a shell script

Hello, I've managed to get my .procmailrc file to work. At least it triggers a script which creates a file. But the file is empty. How do I get at the data that's been piped? I've done much creative googling to no avail. I belive it should be in stdin, but I can't figure out how to access... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmesford
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh error: Error reading response length from authentication socket

Hi - I am getting the error `Error reading response length from authentication socket' when I ssh from my cluster to another cluster, and then back to my cluster. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's just annoying that it always pops up and tends to confuse new users of the cluster. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp6f
1 Replies

9. SCO

Error: msgcnt 1 vxfs: mesg 016: vx_ilisterr - / file system error reading

Hello... i got an error in my SCO OpenServer 6. the error is: msgcnt 1 vxfs: mesg 016: vx_ilisterr - / file system error reading inode 373 Can anyone help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AndryMB
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script hangs when reading from stdin

script: while read inputline; do if ; then if ; then break fi fi done Looks like the script hangs when stdin is empty or contains space. Any ideas on how to circumvent this? is it possible to use getline to process stdin content? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies
Tk_GetScrollInfo(3)					       Tk Library Procedures					       Tk_GetScrollInfo(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetScrollInfo, Tk_GetScrollInfoObj - parse arguments for scrolling commands SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> int Tk_GetScrollInfo(interp, argc, argv, dblPtr, intPtr) int Tk_GetScrollInfoObj(interp, objc, objv, dblPtr, intPtr) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter to use for error reporting. int argc (in) Number of strings in argv array. const char *argv[] (in) Argument strings. These represent the entire widget command, of which the first word is typically the widget name and the second word is typically xview or yview. int objc (in) Number of Tcl_Obj's in objv array. Tcl_Obj *const objv[] (in) Argument objects. These represent the entire widget command, of which the first word is typically the widget name and the second word is typically xview or yview. double *dblPtr (out) Filled in with fraction from moveto option, if any. int *intPtr (out) Filled in with line or page count from scroll option, if any. The value may be negative. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_GetScrollInfo parses the arguments expected by widget scrolling commands such as xview and yview. It receives the entire list of words that make up a widget command and parses the words starting with argv[2]. The words starting with argv[2] must have one of the following forms: moveto fraction scroll number units scroll number pages Any of the moveto, scroll, units, and pages keywords may be abbreviated. If argv has the moveto form, TK_SCROLL_MOVETO is returned as result and *dblPtr is filled in with the fraction argument to the command, which must be a proper real value. If argv has the scroll form, TK_SCROLL_UNITS or TK_SCROLL_PAGES is returned and *intPtr is filled in with the number value, which must be a proper integer. If an error occurs in parsing the arguments, TK_SCROLL_ERROR is returned and an error message is left in interp->result. Tk_GetScrollInfoObj is identical in function to Tk_GetScrollInfo. However, Tk_GetScrollInfoObj accepts Tcl_Obj style arguments, making it more appropriate for use with new development. KEYWORDS
parse, scrollbar, scrolling command, xview, yview Tk 8.0 Tk_GetScrollInfo(3)