Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed searching across lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed searching across lines Post 302090332 by miechu on Monday 25th of September 2006 05:42:16 AM
Old 09-25-2006
ok, but what is this comma for? - stupid me... i didn't read the quote Smilie

#edited

and if i'd like to place # before each line that i find?

Last edited by miechu; 09-25-2006 at 06:50 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

lines searching >>

hi guys! I`ll really appreciate your help. The situation is: i have a log file, and i need to get the needed lines from it. linecount=$(cat -n http.log | grep ALERT | awk '{print $1}' | wc -l) lines=$(cat -n http.log | grep ALERT | awk '{print $1}') 1-string gets the number of found lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neverhood
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for lines ending with }

I'm trying to search for lines ending with "}" with the following command but am not getting any output. grep '\}$' myFile.txt I actually want to negate this (i.e. lines not ending with "}"), but I guess that should be easier once I find the command that finds it? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for lines in a file?

What is the best way to display lines in a log file that begin with a certain string? Preferably I would like to 'print' them to a file. I guess I would use 'cat' for that? There are two types of line I would like to get at - each begins with a different two words. It would be something... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - Pattern Searching

Hi, Please take a look at the below eg. I would like to search for abc() pattern first and then search for (xyz) in the next line. If I can find the pattern, then I should delete the 3 lines. I can only find the pattern and delete but I am unable to find two patterns and delete. Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedevi
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for lines in textfiles

Hello all, I've a problem. I've two logfiles and i need to find lines in the second file by using information from the first file. First I need to extract a searchpattern from the first file. Its like abc=searchpattern&cde=. All between abc= and &cde= is the pattern I need to find in the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avarion
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl searching special words in lines

Hi , i am a new with perl, i want to made a script that find in file rows that start with specil words, as an example a line will start with" ............................................. specialword aaa=2 bbb=5 ............................................. and to put this in a new file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinalin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert tags in lines after searching for a word

Hi, I am new to Unix and this is my first post on this forum. I am trying to convert a file into an xml. In my input I want to search for any line that starts with a 'F' and make it a tag in the xml. See below for the input and output. Input : <Payment> <REFERENCE>78</REFERENCE> F123 : ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashgov
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching inverted lines

Hi fellas, I have a file like this: A_B B_D C_D D_B E_F G_H B_A F_E In other words, I have member1_member2 and member2_member1 in the same file. In the exemple aforementioned I have A_B and B_A, B_D and D_B, E_F and F_E. So, I would like to know a sript that print the lines B_A, D_B... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add lines after searching for a pattern

Hi, I have 2 files like below. File A: apple mango File B: start abc def apple ghi end start cba fed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for pattern and remove the lines

Hi , I want to remove the specific pattern and remove those lines from file using shell script. i want to remove these lines <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?> <row_set> </row_set> my input file has content like this. file name: sample.xml <?xml version='1.0'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nukala_2
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)