Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding disk usage
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding disk usage Post 302089978 by Andrek on Thursday 21st of September 2006 06:53:54 PM
Old 09-21-2006
This should get you started...
# du -sk * | sort -n | tail -3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding disk space usage

How would I go about finding the about of disk space occupied by a certain directory? For example, /u1/cvera => 530 MB Thanks =) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvera8
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disk usage

how to i find out the disk usage on a server. say in windows examples its like C:/ D:/ and checking out the disk space. how can i find in Unix. can i just use df -k or should i go to each volume group and find that way. plz respond (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding CPU usage by a Unix Process

Hi, I am designing a load balancer for an application. I am trying to find out the CPU usage by a specifc Unix process (PID is known). I guess I can use ps command to find that. can somebody help me in finding what exact command I should use to find? It is on AIX 5.3. Regards Asutosh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk usage

fdisk -l shows me the total disk size. How can I see, how much disk space is free or available? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding total Percentage CPU usage

Hi, How can I find total CPU usage in percentage? e.g. if my system has 8 CPUs and I want to list total usage for all of them, is it possible through a command? I have tried some of the commands like top, mpstat, sar. The output of those commands has to be manipulated to derive the percentage... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Usage

Hi, I have always felt problems using commands to check disk usage, or I should say I might not be using the commands properly. dfspace and free are 2 most frequent command that I use, but the data that it echoes is not comprehandable atleast to me.:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TH3M0Nk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding out total memory usage

Hi, I have a server box with 16GB ram in it, within the server box there are 3 VMs running with a total allocation of 9GB. if I add up all the numbers under memory info using vmstat I get 15.8GB so I can say it adds up to 16Gb... Is there a way to see from the command line how much memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: speedhunt3r
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Disk usage monitoring and record the disk used in last 24 hour

HI I am Trying to edit the below code to send email every day with difference of disk utilized in for last 24 hours but instead getting same usage everyday. can you please help me to point out where my calculation is going wrong. Thank you. ================= #!/bin/bash TODAY="at $(date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mi4304
0 Replies
tail(1) 																   tail(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tail [ +-s number [lbcr]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcr] [file] /usr/bin/tail [ +- number [lbcf]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcf] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [-f | -r] [-c number | -n number] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [ +- number [l | b | c] [f]] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [ +- number [l] [f | r] ] [file] The tail utility copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is used. Copying begins at a point in the file indicated by the -cnumber, -nnumber, or +-number options (if +number is specified, begins at distance number from the beginning; if -number is specified, from the end of the input; if number is NULL, the value 10 is assumed). number is counted in units of lines or byte according to the -c or -n options, or lines, blocks, or bytes, according to the appended option l, b, or c. When no units are specified, counting is by lines. The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/tail and /usr/xpg4/bin/tail. The -r and -f options are mutually exclusive. If both are specified on the command line, the -f option is ignored. -b Units of blocks. -c Units of bytes. -f Follow. If the input-file is not a pipe, the program does not terminate after the line of the input-file has been copied, but enters an endless loop, wherein it sleeps for a second and then attempts to read and copy further records from the input-file. Thus it can be used to monitor the growth of a file that is being written by some other process. -l Units of lines. -r Reverse. Copies lines from the specified starting point in the file in reverse order. The default for r is to print the entire file in reverse order. /usr/xpg4/bin/tail The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/tail only: -c number The number option-argument must be a decimal integer whose sign affects the location in the file, measured in bytes, to begin the copying: + Copying starts relative to the beginning of the file. - Copying starts relative to the end of the file. none Copying starts relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -c+1 represents the first byte of the file, -c-1 the last. -n number Equivalent to -cnumber, except the starting location in the file is measured in lines instead of bytes. The origin for counting is 1. That is, -n+1 represents the first line of the file, -n-1 the last. The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tail when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). Example 1: Using the tail Command The following command prints the last ten lines of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initiated and killed. example% tail -f fred The next command prints the last 15 bytes of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initi- ated and killed: example% tail -15cf fred See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tail: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cat(1), head(1), more(1), pg(1), dd(1M), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) Piped tails relative to the end of the file are stored in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. Various kinds of anomalous behavior can happen with character special files. 13 Jul 2005 tail(1)