Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Any Filesystems in Linux Support Versioning? Post 302089898 by Corona688 on Thursday 21st of September 2006 10:41:43 AM
Old 09-21-2006
A journalling file system is not the same thing as a versioning file system. A journalling file system has a (short) log of recently-modified blocks, etc. so that, if someone pulls the cord or something in the middle of a file operation, it can see where it left off and gracefully recover instead of leaving you with a corrupt filesystem. This log is not used to keep old versions of files.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-21-2006 at 11:53 AM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SMP support in Linux 7.3

What is the SMP support like when you are running Linux 7.3 on a system with 2-4 CPUs? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngryRabbi
3 Replies

2. Linux

Linux Hyper-thread support?

Hello all, I'm looking in to building a Redhat/Windows machine for myself and was wondering if Redhat linux support 800Mhz front side bus speed or hyper-thread? If so would I have to recompile the kernel to enable this feature? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Support?

If the strength of Unix based operating systems such as Linux and Red Hat are based on the fact that they are open-source. Who will provide support for personal computers or average users that uses these operating systems. Wouldn't the absence of some structured and formal support system inhibit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
8 Replies

4. Linux

Ntfs5 Support For Linux

Hello, the other day i was trying to mount my WindowsXP partition in Linux and it said that the fs type was not supported. I know that WindowsXP does not use ntfs but uses ntfs5. If any of you guys know where i can find a file that will allow me to mount my ntfs5 please tell me. by the was i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xcaliber
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Does devlable support RedHat Linux 5.5 or later version?

Dear Guru, Last time when I install ORACLE RAC with ASM, I have use udev to mapping the raw device. Someone told me that "devlable" is good tool to achieve that. But I can find the rpm package for Linux 5.5. Look devlable only for x86 system? Am I right? What is the different between: udev... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
0 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios configuration support on Linux

Hi All, I have been trying to find a documentation for implementing a check of an Oracle query on Nagios environment. The requirement is very simple. This is the Oracle query select count(*) from IM_BC_JOB; If count_number >= 10 then RED alert if count_number < 10 then GREEN alert ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio123bgg
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Graphics Driver Support in Linux

It's not exactly a question and more of a discussion. I found very less graphics application being developed for linux system. I'm not really fond of graphics programming and have a very little knowledge about it. Can any one suggest me that whether linux lack in ghraphics support? or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kg_gaurav
2 Replies
E2UNDO(8)                                                     System Manager's Manual                                                    E2UNDO(8)

NAME
e2undo - Replay an undo log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem SYNOPSIS
e2undo [ -f ] [ -h ] [ -n ] [ -o offset ] [ -v ] [ -z undo_file ] undo_log device DESCRIPTION
e2undo will replay the undo log undo_log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem found on device. This can be used to undo a failed operation by an e2fsprogs program. OPTIONS
-f Normally, e2undo will check the filesystem superblock to make sure the undo log matches with the filesystem on the device. If they do not match, e2undo will refuse to apply the undo log as a safety mechanism. The -f option disables this safety mechanism. -h Display a usage message. -n Dry-run; do not actually write blocks back to the filesystem. -o offset Specify the filesystem's offset (in bytes) from the beginning of the device or file. -v Report which block we're currently replaying. -z undo_file Before overwriting a file system block, write the old contents of the block to an undo file. This undo file can be used with e2undo(8) to restore the old contents of the file system should something go wrong. If the empty string is passed as the undo_file argument, the undo file will be written to a file named e2undo-device.e2undo in the directory specified via the E2FSPROGS_UNDO_DIR environment variable. WARNING: The undo file cannot be used to recover from a power or system crash. AUTHOR
e2undo was written by Aneesh Kumar K.V. (aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com) AVAILABILITY
e2undo is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 E2UNDO(8)