Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command history in AIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command history in AIX Post 302089316 by priya_v111 on Monday 18th of September 2006 02:25:06 PM
Old 09-18-2006
Command history in AIX

Hi All,

I would like to know how to get the command history from the prompt. For example in dos, if we hit the Up Arrow, we get the previous command. I am not getting this in my telnet session (AIX) at the prompt.

I know that if I type history command it will give a list of cammands I typed earlier. But what i need is the short cut key were like the up arrow in dos were in i will get the previous command at the prompt.

Thanks in advance...

Priya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

turn on aix history command

how do i turn on aix43 history command? so that i could recall the command with <esc>+k. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

History Command

Hi all experts, I want to see all the command that is typed in the server 3 days ago. I typed HISTORY command but it does not show all the things. The reason is my senior DBA could see all the commands ran in the server 3 days ago but i cannot see. Please let me know is there anyway i can view... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ma466
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX bash history recall

Is it possible to use the keyboard UP ARROW in place of k to recall history? If so, how/what do I need to do change terminal emulation, etc.? TIA, George (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwfay
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi command history

How do you look at the whole list of previous commands you have used in VI? I know you can use the up and down arrows, but I know there's a way to see the full list. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command history

Hi all, How can i view command history of a day. when i used history command in my AIX server, it shows only last 16 commands. Is there a location where all the history is stored ? Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

history command

Hi, I want the command which has to tell all the commands used in different terminals of same Unix box. Command "history" will give the commands used in the same terminal. Advance thanks for your response. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senkerth
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The history command: See other users command history

Can anyone tell this: If two users are logged into the same server from different locations. Is there a way to see the history command of the other user? I tried the history command, but it is showing me only the commands I used. Thanks in advance for your help. Iamnew2solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to enable command history in AIX 6

Hi Friends, I am using AIX 6 with ksh shell, i am not able to get the commands histroy which was used earlier by pressing up and down arrow keys. Could you please help me to enable the history for ksh shell in AIX 6 OS. Thanks in Advance. Siva Kumar. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumarl
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command history

hi i want to show my history command in UNIX solaris ( bash shell ),, i tried this command ( HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " ) but it's not working with me ,, is there any restricted condition to do this command any one know why it's not working to me .. thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mondo32
10 Replies

10. AIX

Checking the command history file in AIX

Hello, The system has been rebooted and I need to see the commands executed in the system prior to restart by the oracle user.The history command is not showing me the commands executed prior to reboot. Please advise. Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies
PTKSH(1)						       perl/Tk Documentation							  PTKSH(1)

NAME
ptksh - Perl/Tk script to provide a graphical user interface for testing Perl/Tk commands and scripts. SYNOPSIS
% ptksh ?scriptfile? ... version information ... ptksh> $b=$mw->Button(-text=>'Hi',-command=>sub{print 'Hi'}) ptksh> $b->pack ptksh> o $b ... list of options ... ptksh> help ... help information ... ptksh> exit % DESCRIPTION
ptksh is a perl/Tk shell to enter perl commands interactively. When one starts ptksh a MainWindow is automaticly created, along with a ptksh command window. One can access the main window by typing commands using the variable $mw at the 'ptksh> ' prompt of the command window. ptksh supports command line editing and history. Just type "<Up>" at the command prompt to see a history list. The last 50 commands entered are saved, then reloaded into history list the next time you start ptksh. ptksh supports some convenient commands for inspecting Tk widgets. See below. To exit ptksh use: "exit". ptksh is *not* a full symbolic debugger. To debug perl/Tk programs at a low level use the more powerful perl debugger. (Just enter ``O tk'' on debuggers command line to start the Tk eventloop.) FEATURES
History Press <Up> (the Up Arrow) in the perlwish window to obtain a gui-based history list. Press <Enter> on any history line to enter it into the perlwish window. Then hit return. So, for example, repeat last command is <Up><Enter><Enter>. You can quit the history window with <Escape>. NOTE: history is only saved if exit is "graceful" (i.e. by the "exit" command from the console or by quitting all main windows--NOT by interrupt). Debugging Support ptksh provides some convenience function to make browsing in perl/Tk widget easier: ?, or h displays a short help summary. d, or x ?args, ...? Dumps recursively arguments to stdout. (see Data::Dumper). You must have <Data::Dumper> installed to support this feature. x was introduced for perl debugger compatibility. p ?arg, ...? appends "| " to each of it's arguments and prints it. If value is undef, '(undef)' is printed to stdout. o $widget ?-option ...? prints the option(s) of $widget one on each line. If no options are given all options of the widget are listed. See Tk::options for more details on the format and contents of the returned list. o $widget /regexp/ Lists options of $widget matching the regular expression regexp. u ?class? If no argument is given it lists the modules loaded by the commands you executed or since the last time you called "u". If argument is the empty string lists all modules that are loaded by ptksh. If argument is a string, ``text'' it tries to do a ``use Tk::Text;''. Packages Ptksh compiles into package Tk::ptksh. Your code is eval'ed into package main. The coolness of this is that your eval code should not interfere with ptksh itself. Multiline Commands ptksh will accept multiline commands. Simply put a "" character immediately before the newline, and ptksh will continue your command onto the next line. Source File Support If you have a perl/Tk script that you want to do debugging on, try running the command ptksh> do 'myscript'; -- or (at shell command prompt) -- % ptksh myscript Then use the perl/Tk commands to try out different operations on your script. ENVIRONMENT
Looks for your .ptksh_history in the directory specified by the $HOME environment variable ($HOMEPATH on Win32 systems). FILES
.ptksh_init If found in current directory it is read in an evaluated after the mainwindow $mw is created. .ptksh_init can contain any valid perl code. ~/.ptksh_history Contains the last 50 lines entered in ptksh session(s). PITFALLS
It is best not to use "my" in the commands you type into ptksh. For example "my $v" will make $v local just to the command or commands entered until <Return> is pressed. For a related reason, there are no file-scopy "my" variables in the ptksh code itself (else the user might trounce on them by accident). BUGS
Tk::MainLoop function interactively entered or sourced in a init or script file will block ptksh. SEE ALSO
Tk perldebug VERSION
VERSION 2.03 AUTHORS
Mike Beller <beller@penvision.com>, Achim Bohnet <ach@mpe.mpg.de> Copyright (c) 1996 - 1998 Achim Bohnet and Mike Beller. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Tk804.028 2007-05-05 PTKSH(1)