Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Major system issue!!! HELP
Operating Systems Solaris Major system issue!!! HELP Post 302089266 by shorty on Monday 18th of September 2006 10:22:11 AM
Old 09-18-2006
I tried devfsadm and got the following..........
devfsadm: mkdir failed for /dev 0x1ed: Read-only file system
devfsadm: open failed for /dev/.devfsadm_dev. lock: Read-only file system

In fact, I'm getting Read-only file system on just about everything I try.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

File system Issue

Hi All, I am working with the Solaris 9. In df -h command / file system size is 9.6 GB , used 7.5 GB and avialble space is 2.1. OK But in du -hd command it is showing some 4.1 GB only. How to find out that remaining 3.4GB. Can you please help me ... Thanks and Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
1 Replies

2. Solaris

root file system issue

Hi, In df -h root file system showing (total size) (used) (free) /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 11G 7.6G 2.8G 73% / but du -hd command showng 5.1 gb used sapce. I am missing 3.00 gb space. Here I have to knoe where is Remaining space... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Solaris

/ file system full issue

Hi All, This is Babu working as a system administrator. Here I am getting one problem with one of my Sun server's root (/) file system. In df -h command / file system showing 7.8 GB used space.But in du -hd command it showing 5.2 gb only. Please can any one help me resolve this issue... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. AIX

GPFS file system corrupt issue

Hi Administrators, I have one issue related to GPFS filesystem. We have bad entries in this file system, which reflects error like ls: 0653-341 The file <filename> does not exist. when we give "ls -ltr" on this directory. So we taken the FS filesystem offline and followed the below steps. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgarg
6 Replies

5. Programming

Unix system crashing - Need help to identify the issue

Hi, We are accessing our remote webserver using libcurl.We are using GET method to post the request.The request is a simplified URL.We will receive XML Response for the URL request. Problem For Few Scenarios, response for the URL request is received & our component is killed abruptly. Can... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: banus
11 Replies

6. Programming

A system hang issue in porting an old fs to kernel 2.6.32.*

Hi, I ported a file system from Kernel version 2.6.18.* to 2.6.32.46 as VFS implementation has changed and prepare_write/commit_write are replaced by write_begin/write_end pairs. Implemented the feature by writing a wrapper for write_begin and write_end and calling original functions for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shared File system- lib access issue

I have a C++ binary executable installed in a file system which is shared across multiple solaris boxes. When I start this executable from one of the boxes,I am able to start only 4 parallel instances and from the 5th instance onwards I am getting the following error. fatal: libdb2.so.1:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Major and Minor number of Virtual File System

Hi friends, Please let me know if there is any way to find out Major and Minor numbers of virtual file system like below: /devices 0K 0K 0K 0% /devices ctfs 0K 0K 0K 0% /system/contract proc 0K 0K ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitj
8 Replies

9. Red Hat

Issue with mounting the file system .

Hi gurus, Need your help , Am facing some issue with one of the ext3 file system.while rebooting it failed to mount fs after running fsck i tried manuall but still no luck.However i made the machine up but am unable to mount file system can some one please help me. root@vm258902]~# cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapil514
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue with rm command in a tera byte file system

We have a production file system which has 6+ million files with more than 1 tera byte in size. When trying to delete selective files through a weekly script files are not deleted. Please advise with ideas. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kppublicmail
5 Replies
devfsadm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      devfsadm(1M)

NAME
devfsadm, devfsadmd - administration command for /dev SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/devfsadm [-C] [-c device_class] [-i driver_name] [ -n] [-r root_dir] [-s] [-t table_file] [-v] /usr/lib/devfsadm/devfsadmd DESCRIPTION
devfsadm(1M) maintains the /dev namespace. It replaces the previous suite of devfs administration tools including drvconfig(1M), disks(1M), tapes(1M), ports(1M), audlinks(1M), and devlinks(1M). The default operation is to attempt to load every driver in the system and attach to all possible device instances. Next, devfsadm creates logical links to device nodes in /dev and /devices and loads the device policy. devfsadmd(1M) is the daemon version of devfsadm(1M). The daemon is started during system startup and is responsible for handling both reconfiguration boot processing and updating /dev and /devices in response to dynamic reconfiguration event notifications from the kernel. For compatibility purposes, drvconfig(1M), disks(1M), tapes(1M), ports(1M), audlinks(1M), and devlinks(1M) are implemented as links to devfsadm. In addition to managing /dev, devfsadm also maintains the path_to_inst(4) database. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -C Cleanup mode. Prompt devfsadm to cleanup dangling /dev links that are not normally removed. If the -c option is also used, devfsadm only cleans up for the listed devices' classes. -c device_class Restrict operations to devices of class device_class. Solaris defines the following values for device_class: disk, tape, port, audio, and pseudo. This option might be specified more than once to specify multiple device classes. -i driver_name Configure only the devices for the named driver, driver_name. -n Do not attempt to load drivers or add new nodes to the kernel device tree. -s Suppress any changes to /dev. This is useful with the -v option for debugging. -t table_file Read an alternate devlink.tab file. devfsadm normally reads /etc/devlink.tab. -r root_dir Presume that the /dev directory trees are found under root_dir, not directly under root (/). No other use or assumptions are made about root_dir. -v Print changes to /dev in verbose mode. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/devices device nodes directory /dev logical symbolic links to /devices /usr/lib/devfsadm/devfsadmd devfsadm daemon /dev/.devfsadm_dev.lock update lock file /dev/.devfsadm_daemon.lock daemon lock file /etc/security/device_policy device policy file /etc/security/extra_privs additional device privileges ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), add_drv(1M), modinfo(1M), modload(1M), modunload(1M), rem_drv(1M), svcadm(1M), tapes(1M), path_to_inst(4), attributes(5), privi- leges(5), smf(5), devfs(7FS) NOTES
This document does not constitute an API. The /devices directory might not exist or might have different contents or interpretations in a future release. The existence of this notice does not imply that any other documentation that lacks this notice constitutes an API. devfsadm no longer manages the /devices name space. See devfs(7FS). The device configuration service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier, and can be used to start devfsadm during reconfiguration boot by: svc:/system/device/local:default Otherwise, devfsadm is started by: svc:/system/sysevent:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 23 Jun 2008 devfsadm(1M)