Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source What editor does everyone use? Post 302088992 by james hanley on Friday 15th of September 2006 01:05:53 PM
Old 09-15-2006
DDD - data display debugger, looks interesting. I hadn't heard of it before..

I had heard of "the omniscient debugger" for java.. but that's not really relevant.

I found that the Eclipse IDE wasn't so annoying.. plus of course the good debugger it has in it. Though I can see why you'd prefer a text editor, it is slimmer. And still ess annoyign, even nice!

But, it's not just the debugger..
Also, IDEs have a feature, i'm not sure what it is called. But a text editor probably wouldn't do this. It has a suggestion style autocomplete feature.. It knows all your methods(like functions/procedures) and variable names. And as you type a name, the drop down menu shows all the possibilities. This is very useful particularly in a language like java where you have these long identifiers, like
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, FileNotFoundException , IllegalARgumentException. There are many of these things.. This feature isn't about creating an abbreviation for them. But suggesting what method you are calling.
Also, when you have an object, and you want to call some method, then as soon as you type object1. it'll list all the methods(functions/procedures) of object 1, with their parameters and types.
And this is also useful because variables are case sensitive. And can be quite long.

And also, you can browse around your code quite quickly within a file, because it bookmarks all the methods/functions, so you can just click the name of the function listed in one window, and in the other window it jumps to that portion of code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor ?

Hello everybody, My question is: how to add /tmp/work at the end of line in vi editor. my file looks like: cp file1 cp file2 cp file3 **** I need to add " /tmp/work" at the end of each line. I tried this :%s/$/" /tmp/work" and this :%s/$/\ /tmp/work\/ but it does not work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

instead VI editor - which one?

I'd like to find some editor for HP-UX, something like notepad, but not VI editor. Can someone have some ideas which one? thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diamond
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi editor

Hi, how can I add at the begining and at the end of all of the lines of my text file in VI editor ? Many thanks before. for exemple if in my file i have line 1 line 2 I want to have : start line 1 end start line 2 end (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain123456
3 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

best editor

We work on AIX 5L We use vi as text editor (only scripts to create and modifiy). What do you think of emacs ? Where can I find it ? Do you know better text editor for scripts ? Thank you for all answers. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annemar
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

vi editor

I am new in hp ux and I want work with vi editor, but in hp ux vi editor the backspaes and del keys doesn't work. how can I enable them. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkoolivand
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

About vi editor

How can ` character be printed on vi editor ? empl_id=`echo $line | awk ' { print $1; } '` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senem
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to use @ in VI editor

Hello All, Need one Help for one issue. I am using a French Keyboard, so @ sign is on key 0 and i have to use right Alt + 0 to print it. It is working everywhere but not inside Vi editor. I can type @ in shell, in notepad. But inside Vi editor it is not working, another problem is that if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
2 Replies
KDBG(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   KDBG(1)

NAME
kdbg - a graphical debugger interface SYNOPSIS
kdbg [ generic-options ] [ -t file ] [ -r device ] [ -l language ] [ -p pid ] [ program ] [ core ] DESCRIPTION
KDbg is a graphical user interface to gdb, the GNU debugger. It provides an intuitive interface for setting breakpoints, inspecting vari- ables, stepping through code and much more. KDbg requires KDE but you can of course debug any program. KDbg can also debug XSLT (XML stylesheet translation) scripts by interfacing with xsldbg. Debian users must install the kxsldbg package to make use of this feature. You can pass KDbg the path of the executable to debug (program) or a core dump to debug (core). Features of KDbg include: Inspection of variable values in a tree structure. Direct member: For certain compound data types the most important member values are displayed next to the variable name, so that it is not necessary to expand the subtree of that variable in order to see the member value. KDbg can also display Qt's QString val- ues, which are Unicode strings. Debugger at your finger tips: The basic debugger functions (step, next, run, finish, until, set/clear/enable/disable breakpoint) are bound to function keys F5 through F10. Quick and easy. View source code, search text, set program arguments and environment variables, display arbitrary expressions. Debugging of core dumps, attaching to running processes is possible. Conditional breakpoints. OPTIONS
Below are the kdbg-specific options. For a full summary of options, run kdbg --help. -t file Write a transcript of the conversation with the debugger to the given file. -r device Use remote debugging via the given device. -l language Specify the language of the program/script to debug. This must be either C (for a C/C++ program) or XSL (for an XSLT script). If this option is not passed then KDbg will try to deduce the language from the given filename. -p pid Attach to the process with the given process ID. SEE ALSO
gdb(1), xsldbg(1). Full user documentation is available through the KDE Help Centre. Alternatively the HTML documentation can be viewed directly from /usr/share/doc/kdbg/html/. AUTHOR
KDbg was written by Johannes Sixt <Johannes.Sixt@telecom.at>. This manual page was prepared by Ben Burton <bab@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 25, 2005 KDBG(1)