Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: trimming white spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trimming white spaces Post 302088979 by briskbaby on Friday 15th of September 2006 11:43:37 AM
Old 09-15-2006
Thanks! I understand now.. but i run into a problem, let's say my variable stores the following:

a='I like foo '

I would need something where the white space after foo disappears - is this doable?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete white spaces

hi all... i have the next question: i have a flat file with a lot of records (lines). Each record has 10 fields, which are separated by pipe (|). My problem is what sometimes, in the first record, there are white spaces (no values, nothing) in the beginning of the record, like this: ws ws... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

3. Solaris

spaces trimming while assigning to a variable

Hi my lovely friends, Im writing one pgm in which i trying to assign some values like $var='Jun 6' but if i do echo of this $var will trim the spaces expect one space. $echo $var $Jun 6 But if var='Jun 28', then this will works fine $echo $var $Jun 28 this is required to exctract... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two or more white spaces in string

Hi, Can anybody suggest me how to combine two strings with two or more white spaces and assign it to a variable? E.g. first=HAI second=HELLO third="$first $second" # appending strings with more than one white spaces echo $third this would print HAI HELLO Output appears... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish_oty
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trimming the spaces

Hi, How can I remove the unwanted spaces in the line. 123456 789 ABC DEF. - I wanna remove the sapces in this line, I need the output 123456789ABCDEF. Pls help me...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Trimming of white space

Dear Members, Following is the code which i am using: integer i=7 while ((i <= 10 )); do param=`echo $TEST_OUT | cut -d"^" -f$i` a=`echo ${param}` echo `echo $a | sed 's/+/ /g'` (( i = i + 1)); done From the above code TEST_OUT is a variable which has the following value: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trimming out spaces in solaris

friends, I have a script in solaris 10 SPARC system which is like this date '+Time: %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S' echo " GDBRR GDLRR GDBWR GDLWR GDRRR GDRWR " sar -b 10 10 |/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '!/Average/ && !/SunOS/ && !/bread/ {$1="";T=$2;T1=$3;T2=$5;T3=$6;T4=$8;T5=$9}{print(T"\t",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: achak01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I stop the unix script from trimming extra spaces?

I have a file which contains certain records about users. the row length is always fixed to 205 characters. Now I want to read each record line from the file, substring some portion out of it and put into another file. But I have observed that my script is trimming the extra spaces I have used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramit
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming spaces from a variable

Hi guys, when I take substring of a particular data using this command var=substr($0,11,10) it comes with spaces, when I am trying to trim the spaces it is not allowing me to do that. Can you please help me out on that. As I have to reverse the output of the variable also. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming Spaces in Unix

Hi All, I am using following script to name the file base of some values #!/bin/sh sourcefile=$1 awk ' BEGIN{ n = 1; name = "FILEFILE12" n ".txt"; } { if (substr($0,1,10) == "FILEFILE12") { close (name) n++ a = substr($0,11,10); b = substr($0,21,5); name = b "_Src_" a ".txt" }... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
6 Replies
radiusd.conf(5) 					   FreeRADIUS configuration file					   radiusd.conf(5)

NAME
radiusd.conf - configuration file for the FreeRADIUS server DESCRIPTION
The radiusd.conf file resides in the radius database directory, by default /etc/raddb. It defines the global configuration for the FreeRA- DIUS RADIUS server. CONTENTS
There are a large number of configuration parameters for the server. Most are documented in the file itself as comments. This page docu- ments only the format of the file. Please read the radiusd.conf file itself for more information. The configuration file parser is independent of the server configuration. This means that you can put almost anything into the configura- tion file. So long as it is properly formatted, the server will start. When the server parses the configuration file, it looks only for those configurations it understands. Extra configuration items are ignored. This "feature" can be (ab)used in certain interesting ways. FILE FORMAT
The file format is line-based, like many other Unix configuration files. Each entry in the file must be placed on a line by itself, although continuations are supported. The file consists of configuration items (variable = value pairs), sections, and comments. Variables Variables can be set via: name = value Single and double-quoted strings are permitted: string1 = "hello world" string2 = 'hello mom' Sections A section begins with a section name, followed on the same line by an open bracket '{'. Section may contain other sections, com- ments, or variables. Sections may be nested to any depth, limited only by available memory. A section ends with a close bracket '}', on a line by itself. section { ... } Sections can sometimes have a second name following the first one. The situations where this is legal depend on the context. See the examples and comments in the radiusd.conf file for more information. section foo { ... } Comments Any line beginning with a (#) is deemed to be a comment, and is ignored. Comments can appear after a variable or section defini- tions. # comment foo = bar # set variable 'foo' to value 'bar' section { # start of section ... } # end of section Continuations Long lines can be broken up via continuations, using '' as the last character of the line. For example, the following entry: foo = "blah blah blah" will set the value of the variable "foo" to "blah blah blah". Any CR or LF is not turned into a space, but all other whitespace is preserved in the final value. REFERENCES
The value of a variable can reference another variable. These references are evaluated when the configuration file is loaded, which means that there is no run-time cost associated with them. This feature is most useful for turning long, repeated pieces of text into short ones. Variables are referenced by ${variable_name}, as in the following examples. foo = bar # set variable 'foo' to value 'bar' who = ${foo} # sets variable 'who' to value of variable 'foo' my = "${foo} a" # sets variable 'my' to "bar a" If the variable exists in a section or subsection, it can be referenced as ${section.subsection.variable}. Forward references are not allowed. Relative references are allowed, by pre-pending the name with one or more period. blogs = ${.foo} Will set variable blogs to the value of variable foo, from the current section. blogs = ${..foo} Will set variable blogs to the value of variable foo, from the section which contains the current section. blogs = ${modules.detail.detailfile} Will set variable blogs to the value of variable detailfile, of the detail module, which is in the modules section of the configuration file. FILES
/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf SEE ALSO
radiusd(8) unlang(5) AUTHOR
Alan DeKok <aland@freeradius.org> 12 Jun 2007 radiusd.conf(5)