Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed question Post 302088958 by c19h28O2 on Friday 15th of September 2006 10:39:02 AM
Old 09-15-2006
sed question

Hi,

When deleting lines using sed, as i understand the lines are redirected to the standard output. What i'm unclear about is how to actually modify the file?

If I write the command sed '1,2d' test it will display lines one and 2 onto the screen however the file is not modified? I think my confusion lies somewhere in the redirection of things but cannot seem to grasp it!!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Question

Hi, Is there any way to traverse the file once and look for the following conditions in one sweep instead of going over the file 3 times with different search criteria...... sed -n '/^ORA-07445/ p' /tmp/t$$ > ${OERRFILE} sed -n '/^ORA-00600/ p' /tmp/t$$ >> ${OERRFILE} ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: YS2002
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question (again)

hello there, I have a sed question. I have a file (temp.srv), in it it has v1_host1 v2_host2 And I have another file (temp2.srv), in it is has v1_host3_date v1_host1 v2_host2 v2_host4_date v3_host5_date I had used a script to remove the name from temp2.srv base on the name inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahtat99
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question

Hi, :) can any body explain the following statement sed 's/\(\)- ]//g' cheers RRK (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question

I have a file that conatins following info Policy1=U|guestRoom=test1idCode=5(1):!:Amenity2=U|RoomId=testrma=4(1):!:| GuestRoomAmenity1=U|guestRoomId=testguest1id^rmaCode=5(1):!:| I need it to look like this Policy1=U|guestRoom=test1idCode Amenity2=U|RoomId=testrmaCode... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed question

How would I use sed to print everything on the line after the regular expresion? I have a configuration file setting several variables. cfg.dat DDB = cpptest SUDBNAME = sucpptestdb host = cpptest Example I want to search for the regular expresion 'SUDBNAME =' and print everything on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Question 1. (Don't quite know how to use sed! Thanks)

Write a sed script to extract the year, rank, and stock for the most recent 10 years available in the file top10_mktval.csv, and output in the following format: ------------------------------ YEAR |RANK| STOCK ------------------------------ 2007 | 1 | Exxon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beibeiatNY
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question

hi i have a file with this line: variable=/export/home/oracle I want to change the file so that the path is replaced with the value of another variable var2=/tmp/anything. how to do this in sed? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question

I need to replace the numbers with a new string. How can I give a wildcard for the different # of numbers sed '/abcdef/s/abcdef=*/abcdef=999999/'<foo>foo1 From: To: abcdef=1234 abcdef=999999 abcdef=12345 abcdef=999999 abcdef=123456... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: beppler
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED question

I am trying to write a script that will take an input text file in the format person: place: phonenumber; person: place: phonenumber; person: place: phonenumber; ... and output it using sed too: Name ######## Location ######### Phone Number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmack56
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED question

I have the following string: "File Reader" I also have a list of directories: "File Reader (#53)" "CSV Writer (#47)" "Scorer (#22)" I want to search the name of each directory until I find "File Reader". Then, I want the corresponding number to be returned. For example, if I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xan.amini
7 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)