Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What wrong with the variable definition Post 302088952 by dsravan on Friday 15th of September 2006 10:17:07 AM
Old 09-15-2006
What wrong with the variable definition

i am using the below script and trying to move files in that directory in that pattern to archive. But it doesn;t seem to take the metacharacters. Please sugggest.

Code

Quote:
sourcefilepattern=$1_$2_???_$OLD_DT.dat
for file in $sourcefilepattern ; do
mv "$file" $srcarchive
compress $srcarchive/"$file"
Debug output:

Quote:
sourcefilepattern=AUD02_TLG_DLY_???_20060821.dat
+ mv AUD02_TLG_DLY_???_20060821.dat /amdata/srcfiles/Archive
mv: AUD02_TLG_DLY_???_20060821.dat: cannot access: No such file or directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Definition of $-

Could someone please direct me to a link that gives the definitions for each of the letters from the results of the $- environment variable? It would be nice to know what shell options each of the letters represents, but I am specifically looking for the shell option for 'c' (lowercase c). Thank... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop and variable not exactly variable: what's wrong

Hello guys, This truly is a newbie question. I'm trying to make a loop to execute simultaneous commands indefinitely while using variable. Here is how my mess looks like (this is just an example): #!/bin/bash IP=`shuf -n 1 IP.txt` # I figured this would be easier to select random lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong after assign it to a variable ?

root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# ID_GUEST="01:00.0" root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# echo $ID_GUEST|sed 's%:%\\:%g' 01\:00.0 root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# ID_GUEST_P=`echo $ID_GUEST|sed 's%:%\\:%g'` root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# echo $ID_GUEST_P 01:00.0 root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# if I assign... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Definition of Bytes

A byte is the smallest unit of storage which can be accessed in a computer's memory- either in RAM or ROM.It also holds exactly 8 bits.But its old view one byte was sufficient to hold one 8 bit character.Modern days especially on .NET or international versions of Win 32, 16 bits is needed. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stoudtLion
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable definition

Hi all, I'm bit new to the advanced bash shell scripting. When I'm looking at some of the existing code in my organization, got confused with a few variable definings. For ex: var1={1:-30} var2="abc def ghi" var3={xyz:-$var2} In above, 1st and last lines are confusing me.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the value of a single query to a Variable - What am i doing wrong?

I tried the below : #!/bin/ksh testvar=$( sqlplus $user/$pass << EOF set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off; whenever sqlerror exit 1 SELECT 1+1 FROM DUAl; COMMIT; EXIT; EOF) echo "testvar="$testvar The output that I am getting is : > sh example.sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable definition

I'm a bit confused about the term ‘environment variables'. Within your shell you can set two types of variables: 1. Shell variable - affecting functionality within your shell 2. User defined variable When using the ‘export' command on a variable you make sure it's being inherited by new sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niels
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable definition inside mysql query

Hello, I am running ubuntu16.04. By means of @Rudic's help, I have below command. What I need to do is to replace video_id by value of video_id in which WHERE clause is matched: {print "INSERT INTO video_series_files (id, video_id, file_type, protocol, \ url, languages, quality, accessed... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)													      TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-restore - restore a failed trace record SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd restore [OPTIONS] [command] cpu-file [cpu-file ...] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) restore command will restore a crashed trace-cmd-record(1) file. If for some reason a trace-cmd record fails, it will leave a the per-cpu data files and not create the final trace.dat file. The trace-cmd restore will append the files to create a working trace.dat file that can be read with trace-cmd-report(1). When trace-cmd record runs, it spawns off a process per CPU and writes to a per cpu file usually called trace.dat.cpuX, where X represents the CPU number that it is tracing. If the -o option was used in the trace-cmd record, then the CPU data files will have that name instead of the trace.dat name. If a unexpected crash occurs before the tracing is finished, then the per CPU files will still exist but there will not be any trace.dat file to read from. trace-cmd restore will allow you to create a trace.dat file with the existing data files. OPTIONS
-c Create a partial trace.dat file from the machine, to be used with a full trace-cmd restore at another time. This option is useful for embedded devices. If a server contains the cpu files of a crashed trace-cmd record (or trace-cmd listen), trace-cmd restore can be executed on the embedded device with the -c option to get all the stored information of that embedded device. Then the file created could be copied to the server to run the trace-cmd restore there with the cpu files. If *-o* is not specified, then the file created will be called 'trace-partial.dat'. This is because the file is not a full version of something that trace-cmd-report(1) could use. -t tracing_dir Used with -c, it overrides the location to read the events from. By default, tracing information is read from the debugfs/tracing directory. -t will use that location instead. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just tar -cvf events.tar debugfs/tracing and copy and untar that file locally, and use that directory instead. -k kallsyms Used with -c, it overrides where to read the kallsyms file from. By default, /proc/kallsyms is used. -k will override the file to read the kallsyms from. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just copy the /proc/kallsyms file locally, and use -k to point to that file. -o output' By default, trace-cmd restore will create a trace.dat file (or trace-partial.dat if -c is specified). You can specify a different file to write to with the -o option. -i input By default, trace-cmd restore will read the information of the current system to create the initial data stored in the trace.dat file. If the crash was on another machine, then that machine should have the trace-cmd restore run with the -c option to create the trace.dat partial file. Then that file can be copied to the current machine where trace-cmd restore will use -i to load that file instead of reading from the current system. EXAMPLES
If a crash happened on another box, you could run: $ trace-cmd restore -c -o box-partial.dat Then on the server that has the cpu files: $ trace-cmd restore -i box-partial.dat trace.dat.cpu0 trace.dat.cpu1 This would create a trace.dat file for the embedded box. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)