Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with msgget()
Top Forums Programming Problem with msgget() Post 302088868 by blowtorch on Friday 15th of September 2006 12:13:22 AM
Old 09-15-2006
test1.c:
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<sys/msg.h>

int main() {
        int msqid;

msqid=msgget(938,666|IPC_CREAT);
        fprintf(stdout,"msqid from program 1: %d\n",msqid);
        fprintf(stdout,"now sleeping for 30 seconds\n");
        sleep(30);
        msgctl(msqid,IPC_RMID,NULL);
}

test2.c:
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<sys/msg.h>

int main() {
        int msqid;

msqid=msgget(938,666|IPC_CREAT);
        fprintf(stdout,"msqid from program 2: %d\n",msqid);
        msgctl(msqid,IPC_RMID,NULL);
}

I used the above bits of test code to check if at any point the message queue id changed. It didn't
In fact, the man page of msgget makes it quite clear:
Quote:
The msgget() argument returns the message queue identifier
associated with key.

A message queue identifier and associated message queue and
data structure (see intro(3)) are created for key if one of
the following are true:

o key is IPC_PRIVATE.

o key does not already have a message queue identifier
associated with it, and (msgflg&IPC_CREAT) is true.
Remember that msgget will always return a queue id that is associated with the key. This means that if there is already a queueid that is associated with the key, thats what you'll get. A new queue id is only created under the circumstances specified (key is IPC_PRIVATE or queueid does not already exist).

So if you have a program that created a message queue with a certain key, then another program that tries to create a message queue with the same key will *always* get the existing message queue id ,unless one of the programs removes the queue from the system.

In your case, if you have two programs, is one of the programs removing the message queue before the second one can access it? If this happens, then the queue id associated with your key will no longer exist and you will get a new queue id.

And don't worry about the size of the queue id. It makes no difference to your program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

about msgget troble

hi,all i have in trouble about msgget. i create a queue and the program like blow: openMsg( pid_t key ) { .... int msgid; .... msgid=msgget(key,IPC_CREAT|IPC_EXCL|0666) if( msgid<=0 ){ fprintf( stdout,"%s,%d",strerror(errno),errno ); return -1; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrain
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH Problem auth problem

Hi, Just recently we seem to be getting the following error message relating to SSH when we run the UNIX script in background mode: warning: You have no controlling tty. Cannot read confirmation.^M warning: Authentication failed.^M Disconnected; key exchange or algorithm negotiation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budrito
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with dd command or maybe AFS problem

Hi, folks. Sorry for bothering, but maybe someone could help me please. The problem is the following: there is some script that copies files from local file system to AFS. The copying is performed with dd command. The script copies data into some AFS volumes. The problem appeared with one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
0 Replies

4. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DHCP problem and eth1 problem

At work I am trying to get this one Linux machine (let's call it ctesgm07) to behave like another Linux machine that we have (let's call it test007). test007 returns the following version info: cat /etc/debian_version: lenny/sid uname -a: Linux test007 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sllinux
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

Problem with forwarding emails (SPF problem)

Hi, This is rather a question from a "user" than from a sys admin, but I think this forum is apropriate for the question. I have an adress with automatic email forwarding and for some senders (two hietherto), emails are bouncing. This has really created a lot of problems those two time so I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carwe
0 Replies

7. Programming

msgget message queue always get permission denied

I want to use msgget() to obtain a message queue between two processes, here is my code: the first one create the mq, the second one open it and add a message to it. But when I execute the second one, I get permission denied. I've already desperately tried everything I can think of to solve this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefino
2 Replies

8. Programming

Msgget(2) returns 0 - a workaround fix

Greetings: I am posting this because my searches for this problem only came up with two posts and no helpful suggestions. I have a "solution" (read work-around hack) and have not tried yet to find a root cause, and may never because I am busy doing other things (read working to pay the bills). ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bandit
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

10. IP Networking

Router problem or ISP problem ?

Hi everyone, I am experiencing discontinuity of Internet service, this started 1 month ago. Everything worked very well for 1 year of intensive use, but now, I have problems reaching my gateway. The gateway is not my router but a node belonging to my ISP and I share the same public IP with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: remic
3 Replies
MSGGET(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 MSGGET(2)

NAME
msgget - get a message queue identifier SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/msg.h> int msgget(key_t key, int msgflg); DESCRIPTION
The msgget() system call returns the message queue identifier associated with the value of the key argument. A new message queue is cre- ated if key has the value IPC_PRIVATE or key isn't IPC_PRIVATE, no message queue with the given key key exists, and IPC_CREAT is specified in msgflg. If msgflg specifies both IPC_CREAT and IPC_EXCL and a message queue already exists for key, then msgget() fails with errno set to EEXIST. (This is analogous to the effect of the combination O_CREAT | O_EXCL for open(2).) Upon creation, the least significant bits of the argument msgflg define the permissions of the message queue. These permission bits have the same format and semantics as the permissions specified for the mode argument of open(2). (The execute permissions are not used.) If a new message queue is created, then its associated data structure msqid_ds (see msgctl(2)) is initialized as follows: msg_perm.cuid and msg_perm.uid are set to the effective user ID of the calling process. msg_perm.cgid and msg_perm.gid are set to the effective group ID of the calling process. The least significant 9 bits of msg_perm.mode are set to the least significant 9 bits of msgflg. msg_qnum, msg_lspid, msg_lrpid, msg_stime and msg_rtime are set to 0. msg_ctime is set to the current time. msg_qbytes is set to the system limit MSGMNB. If the message queue already exists the permissions are verified, and a check is made to see if it is marked for destruction. RETURN VALUE
If successful, the return value will be the message queue identifier (a nonnegative integer), otherwise -1 with errno indicating the error. ERRORS
On failure, errno is set to one of the following values: EACCES A message queue exists for key, but the calling process does not have permission to access the queue, and does not have the CAP_IPC_OWNER capability. EEXIST A message queue exists for key and msgflg specified both IPC_CREAT and IPC_EXCL. ENOENT No message queue exists for key and msgflg did not specify IPC_CREAT. ENOMEM A message queue has to be created but the system does not have enough memory for the new data structure. ENOSPC A message queue has to be created but the system limit for the maximum number of message queues (MSGMNI) would be exceeded. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
IPC_PRIVATE isn't a flag field but a key_t type. If this special value is used for key, the system call ignores everything but the least significant 9 bits of msgflg and creates a new message queue (on success). The following is a system limit on message queue resources affecting a msgget() call: MSGMNI System wide maximum number of message queues: policy dependent (on Linux, this limit can be read and modified via /proc/sys/ker- nel/msgmni). Linux Notes Until version 2.3.20 Linux would return EIDRM for a msgget() on a message queue scheduled for deletion. BUGS
The name choice IPC_PRIVATE was perhaps unfortunate, IPC_NEW would more clearly show its function. SEE ALSO
msgctl(2), msgrcv(2), msgsnd(2), ftok(3), capabilities(7), mq_overview(7), svipc(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2004-05-27 MSGGET(2)