Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cutting columns if delimiter has more than one charecter Post 302088562 by BOFH on Wednesday 13th of September 2006 08:39:25 AM
Old 09-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygor
Escape the backslash, like this...
Code:
$ awk -F '\\$%' '{print $1}' file
abc
abc
abc

It's also the single quotes as well as the \\ that's makes it work. Since I started off as a programmer before becoming an admin, I typically use double quotes everywhere (I also use $i for my temporary loop variables). The "Learning The Korn Shell" book advises using single quotes everywhere and using double quotes when you have variables within text strings or have to maintain formatting.

So my habit of using double quotes even with the double escape results in:

Code:
$ awk -F"\\$%" '{print $1}' files
asd$%fdsasa$%fdafas$%fdsa$%

But if you habitually use single quotes, you'd get the correct answer:

Code:
$ awk -F'\\$%' '{print $1}' files
asd
asd
asd
asd
asd
asd
asd

Thanks for that bit of information. Smilie

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comapring files charecter by charecter using AWK/Shell Script

Hi... I have a requrement to compare two files. for e.g. File 1 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-032 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-045 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-043 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 File 2 2007-08-19 09:48:10 DH-032... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evvander
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting Columns and Moving in to a file

Guys, Can any one tell me how can we cut the columns and move each column in to a separate file using awk? I have a tab delimited file as shown below, 1213 wattt werree 2345 skhasdjh aasas I want to output this in to three files named a.txt,b.txt and c.txt say a.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Serious Sam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a tab delimiter file

I have a 30 column tab delimited record file. I need to extract the first 10column. The following command to cut was not working cut -f 1-10 -d "\t" filename. Could any one keep on this . Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting a portion of a line seperated by pipe delimiter

Hi, In the below line a|b|10065353|tefe|rhraqs|135364|5347575 dgd|rg|4333|fhra|grhrt|46423|urdsgd Here i want to cut the characters in between the second and third pipe delimiter and then between fifth and sixth delimiter and retain the rest of the line. My output should be ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a file with multiple delimiters into columns

Hi All I have recently had to start using Unix for work and I have hit brick wall with this prob.... I have a file that goes a little something like this.... EUR;EUR;EUR:USD:USD;USD;;;EUR/USD;XAU/AUD;XAU/EUR;XAU/AUD,GBP/BOB,UAD/XAU;;;1.11;2.22;3.33;4.44;5.55;6.66;;; is it possible to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckycharm
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting columns if delimiter has more than one charecter (|^)

Hi All, I am having a file with the delimiter '|^'. File name:test_dlim.csv I want to cut the first field of this using awk command. I tried with the help of the following link:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a part of line till delimiter

here are the few scenarios... isoSizeKB text NOT NULL, reserved1 varchar(255), KEY `deviceId` (`deviceId`) `d5` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL, `dHead` enum('HistoryInfo','Diversion') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci, `ePR` int(11) DEFAULT '0', PRIMARY KEY (`id`) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string using more than one character as delimiter

Hi , I have a set of files in a folder which i need to cut in to two parts.... Sample files touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_YTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch temp_AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting values with delimiter

Hi All, I have a string with , delimiter america,finland,netherlands Now i want these values to be stored in file as below with newline character at end of each value america finland netherlands Regards Prasad (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting specific columns from lines

I am trying to remove columns 81-97 from a line that can be as long as 114 characters. Because a number of lines might not have under 80 characters, using the cut command following by paste could be a problem. While sed might work, is there some other utility that could do this more easily? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
9 Replies
XFERFAXSTATS(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   XFERFAXSTATS(8)

NAME
xferfaxstats - summarize HylaFAX transmission accounting SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/xferfaxstats [ options ] [ files ] DESCRIPTION
xferfaxstats is a command script that prints a summary of the HylaFAX accounting statistics for transmitted jobs. The statistics can be sorted using one of several keys: the sender's account name (default), the job tag (useful when used for accounting purposes), the remote party's CSI, the called phone number, the output device used for the call, the communication speed, and the communication data format. Statistics are read from the file /var/spool/hylafax/log/xferfaxlog in the spooling area, unless filenames are specified on the command line. The following table is an example of the output from xferfaxstats (using the default sort key): Destination Pages Time Pg/min Errs TypRate TypData cadsmith@esd.sgi.com 34 24:05 1.4 0 9600 1-D MH ctb@corp.sgi.com 32 20:43 1.5 2 9600 2-D MR edmark@esd.sgi.com 42 29:30 1.4 3 9600 1-D MH fredc@mfg.sgi.com 157 1:37:52 1.6 0 9600 2-D MR jlw@engr.sgi.com 81 57:29 1.4 1 9600 1-D MH jlw@wpd.sgi.com 346 3:57:57 1.5 100 9600 1-D MH karlton@asd.sgi.com 68 36:57 1.8 0 9600 1-D MH kerrie@mfg.sgi.com 48 32:29 1.5 1 9600 2-D MR kgraf@mfg.sgi.com 128 1:48:21 1.2 2 9600 1-D MH kubey@wpd.sgi.com 264 3:22:13 1.3 6 9600 1-D MH loki@wpd.sgi.com 205 2:56:45 1.2 5 9600 2-D MR moondog@esd.sgi.com 112 1:23:01 1.3 4 9600 2-D MR mpolen@mti.sgi.com 122 1:39:32 1.2 1 9600 1-D MH nancyf@mfg.sgi.com 174 2:08:44 1.4 2 9600 2-D MR paulh@mfg.sgi.com 56 1:29:24 0.6 0 9600 2-D MR richardn@mfg.sgi.com 34 24:42 1.4 1 9600 1-D MH rosa@corp.sgi.com 32 28:00 1.1 2 9600 1-D MH sam@asd.sgi.com 65 46:25 1.4 5 9600 1-D MH seth@asd.sgi.com 34 25:04 1.4 0 9600 1-D MH -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total 2034 25:49:13 1.3 135 The first column column shows the sort key value used (the sender's identity here, but otherwise the destination phone number, remote CSI, etc.). The Pages column is the total number of good pages transmitted. The time column shows the total amount of time spent transmitting. The Pg/min column displays the average transfer rate. The Errs column indicates how many errors were encountered while transmitting fac- simile. (Note that this statistic does not include problems encountered while placing a call; e.g. busy signals.) The TypRate column displays the most common communication speed with which facsimile were transmitted. The TypData column shows the most common data format in which facsimile data were transmitted. Account names other than ``root'' and ``guest'' can be automatically mapped to a canonical format in which the host name is removed and identical addresses in the same domain are merged together (i.e. for NIS environments). For example, ``sam@flake.asd.sgi.com'' and ``sam@foobar.asd.sgi.com'' are both mapped to ``sam@asd.sgi.com'' with the associated statistics accumulated. Identical account names in different domains generate a warning; e.g. ``loki@wpd.sgi.com'' and ``loki@corp.sgi.com''. The above mapping is done only if the -map option is specified, by default account names are not altered. OPTIONS
-age days Show information only for the facsimile transmitted in the last specified number of days. -csi* Sort output by the remote party's CSI. -dest* Sort output by the phone number called. -dev* Sort output by the output device (i.e. modem) used. -format Sort output by the negotiated data format. -job* Sort output by client-specified job tag identifiers. -nomap Do not perform the account name mapping by which statistics for the ``root'' and ``guest'' accounts are merged and leading hostname part of domain names are stripped. This is the default behavior. -map Perform the account name mapping by which statistics for the ``root'' and ``guest'' accounts are merged and leading hostname part of domain names are stripped. -send* Sort output by sender's account name (default). -since time Show information only for the facsimile transmitted since the specified time; where time is of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string %D %H:%M). -end time Show information only for the facsimile transmitted before the specified time; where time is of the same form as since. -speed Sort output by the signalling rate. DIAGNOSTICS
``Warning, address clash, "%s" and "%s".'' During address mapping two mapped addresses were found for the same account name. ``Warning, weird user address/name "%s".'' During address mapping an address was encountered that multiple ``@'' symbols in it. NOTES
The sender field does not necessarily represent the submitter's actual identity. For example, it reflects the value given by the send- fax(8) ``-f'' option. Be cautious that this field is not utilized for auditing if the fax user base is not trusted. FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area log/xferfaxlog default file from which to read statistics SEE ALSO
faxq(8), faxsend(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-log(5) May 12, 1996 XFERFAXSTATS(8)