Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing line breaks from a shell variable Post 302088463 by lyonsd on Tuesday 12th of September 2006 01:42:11 PM
Old 09-12-2006
I discovered the "printf" statement affects how variables are displayed depending how the variable is referenced...

Code:
X="A short sentence"

Code:
print $X

A short sentence

Code:
printf "%s" $X

Ashortsentence

Code:
printf " %s" $X

A short sentence

Code:
printf "  %s" $X

A  short  sentence

Code:
printf "%s\n" $X

A
short
sentence

Code:
printf " %s\n" $X

A
 short
 sentence

And finally, to get it working correctly...

Code:
printf "  %s\n" "$X"

A short sentence

Gotta have quotes around the variable reference.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell replacing space with line breaks

I'm parsing through a large lslpp -Lc output file with a for loop. The file contains many lines similar to this: zip:zip-2.3-3:2.3: : :C:R:A file compression and packaging utility compatible with PKZIP.: :/bin/rpm -e zip: : : : :0: There appears to be no specialized or secret markup in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshulman1980
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing new line from the shell variable value

I have a small doubt that, how to chomp the new line from the bash shell variable value. In perl, i will do chomp, but how to do it in bash -- shell programming. When i redirect the date output i have a new line in it, which i would want to remove, how to do ?! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with wc and line breaks

Hi everyone, I have gone through the forum trying to find an answer to this question but was unsuccessful. I am hoping that someone can help me with this please. I am trying to get my script to recognise line breaks from a file and to give me a result for wc of each line. So basically, if you... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stargazerr
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line breaks in csv file using shell script

Hi All, I've a csv file in which the record is getting break into 1 line or more than one line. I want to combine those splits into one line and remove the unwanted character existing in the record i.e. double quote symbol ("). The line gets break only when the record contains double... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajak.net
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions on removing unexpected line breaks

I am a newbie in Linux and I am having trouble with a piece of data on hand. The source data is like a|b|c|d e|f|g |h i|j|k|l m|n|o |p 1|2|3|4 5|6|7| 8 a|b|c|d e|f|g|h For each line, there should be 4 fields separated by the "|", but unfortunately there are unexpected line breaks... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nekki Basara
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a two files, line by line in UNIX script and how to assign shell variable to awk ..?

Input are file and file1 file contains store.bal product.bal category.bal admin.bal file1 contains flip.store.bal ::FFFF:BADC:CD28,::FFFF:558E:11C5,6,8,2,1,::FFFF:81C8:CA8B,::FFFF:BADC:CD28,1,0,0,0,::FFFF:81C8:11C5,2,1,0,0,::FFFF:81DC:3111,1,0,1,0 store.bal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page breaks and line breaks

Hi All, Need an urgent solution to an issue . We have created a ksh file or shell script which generates 1 DAT file. the DAT file contains extract of a select statement . Now the issue is , when we are executing the ksh file , the output is coimng with page breaks and line breaks . We have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaskant
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

After using @, line breaks for a particular user in shell

Dear Concern, When we using @ sign, line breaks for a particular user in shell. Please advise how to resolve from the problem in HP UX. tabs@tabsdb02:/ccbs/users/tabs$ cat /etc/passwd|grep tabs tabs:RdCgOsmKee7Ps:221:201::/ccbs/users/tabs:/usr/bin/ksh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] read 'line' issue with leading tabs and virtual line breaks

Heyas I'm trying to read/display a file its content and put borders around it (tui-cat / tui-cat -t(ypwriter). The typewriter-part is a 'bonus' but still has its own flaws, but thats for later. So in some way, i'm trying to rewrite cat using bash and other commands. But sadly it fails on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing line breaks inside a field

Hi all, I have a csv input file with total 60 fields and the fields are not enclosed with double quotes.One of the field(50th field) in this file has line breaks in it which results in the row getting split into multiple lines.This is causing my load(to table) to fail.I tried to enforce double... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby_2000
3 Replies
ucto(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ucto(1)

NAME
ucto - Unicode Tokenizer SYNOPSYS
ucto [[options]] [input-file] [[output-file]] DESCRIPTION
ucto ucto tokenizes text files: it separates words from punctuation, splits sentences (and optionally paragraphs), and finds paired quotes. Ucto is preconfigured with tokenisation rules for several languages. OPTIONS
-c configfile read settings from a file -d value set debug mode to 'value' -e value set input encoding. (default UTF8) -f disable filtering of special characters -L language Automatically selects a configuration file by language code. e.g. 'fr' will select the file tokconfig-fr from the installation directory -l Convert to all lowercase -u Convert to all uppercase -n Assume one sentence per line on input -m Emit one sentence per line on output --passthru Don't tokenize, but perform input decoding and simple token role detection -P Disable Paragraph Detection -Q Enable Quote Detection. (this is experimental and may lead to unexpected results) -S Disable Sentence Detection -s <string> Set End-of-sentence marker. (Default <utt>) -V Show version information -v set Verbose mode -x <DocId> Output FoLiA XML, use the specified Document ID. (this disables usage of most other options: -nulPQvsS) -F Read a FoLiA XML document, tokenize it, and output the modified doc. (this disables usage of most other options: -nulPQvsS) BUGS
likely AUTHORS
Maarten van Gompel proycon@anaproy.nl Ko van der Sloot Timbl@uvt.nl 2011 november 28 ucto(1)