Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux FAQ Items
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo Linux FAQ Items Post 302088228 by prashant_ohol on Sunday 10th of September 2006 05:27:19 PM
Old 09-10-2006
Computer How to check system architecture?

Hello,

Please use the following command to check system architecture.
Equivalent to uname -m.

$ arch
i686

$ uname -m
i686

bingo Smilie

Prashant ohol - System Administrator

Last edited by prashant_ohol; 09-11-2006 at 04:51 PM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix for Dummies FAQ

I have created a small FAQ for the "Unix for Dummies" forum. Hopefully this will be useful, as there are questions which are asked (and answered) repeatedly. <A HREF="http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html">http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PxT
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk between items including items

OS=HP-UX ksh The following works, except I want to include the <start> and <end> in the output. awk -F '<start>' 'BEGIN{RS="<end>"; OFS="\n"; ORS=""} {print $2} somefile.log' The following work in bash but not in ksh sed -n '/^<start>/,/^<end>/{/LABEL$/!p}' somefile.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Dead link in FAQ

Dead link from FAQ, then Technical FAQ: Senior Advisor - https://www.unix.com (Was about to suggest that a O/P read this FAQ). (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
9 Replies
arch(1) 							   User Commands							   arch(1)

NAME
arch - display the architecture of the current host SYNOPSIS
arch [-k | archname] DESCRIPTION
The arch utility displays the application architecture of the current host system. Due to extensive historical use of this command without any options, all SunOS 5.x SPARC based systems will return "sun4" as their application architecture. Use of this command is discouraged. See NOTES section below. Systems can be broadly classified by their architectures, which define what executables will run on which machines. A distinction can be made between kernel architecture and application architecture (or, commonly, just "architecture"). Machines that run different kernels due to underlying hardware differences may be able to run the same application programs. OPTIONS
-k Displays the kernel architecture, such as sun4u. This defines which specific SunOS kernel will run on the machine, and has implica- tions only for programs that depend on the kernel explicitly (for example, ps(1)). OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: archname Use archname to determine whether the application binaries for this application architecture can run on the current host sys- tem. The archname must be a valid application architecture, such as sun4, i86pc, and so forth. If application binaries for archname can run on the current host system, TRUE (0) is returned. Otherwise, FALSE (1) is returned. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mach(1), ps(1), uname(1), attributes(5) NOTES
This command is provided for compatibility with previous releases and its use is discouraged. Instead, the uname command is recommended. See uname(1) for usage information. SunOS 5.11 21 Oct 2002 arch(1)