Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rounding off using BC.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rounding off using BC. Post 302088217 by nathan on Sunday 10th of September 2006 12:11:37 PM
Old 09-10-2006
I don't understand why it won't work either. But why don't you let bc calculate the number, then format it as a string using something like sed?
Code:
$ echo "(($initsize-$zipsize)/$initsize) * 100 " | bc -l
$ echo "(($initsize-$zipsize)/$initsize) * 100 " | bc -l | sed -e "s/\(\.[0-9]\).*/\1/g"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding problem

Hi, Can any one help me in finding a solution for rounding off to 2 decimal places. I am using the following code: VAR1=.01292105263157894736 VAR2=`echo "scale=2; $VAR1 * 100" | bc -l` The result I 'm getting is 1.29210526315789473600 But I need the output as 1.29 Thanks Shash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off to the next whole number

Hello, I searched a lot on this Forum. Please help me with the below problem. I want to divide two numbers and the result should be the next nearest whole number. E.G. Dividing 10.8/5 ideally gives 2.16. But the result should be 3 i.e. rounded off to the next whole number. Any help will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damansingh
2 Replies

3. Linux

Rounding Script Help

I need some help with my rouding script. I have started pretty much from scratch and have no idea if its correct or even close but I have been trying and have gotten to this point. i keep getting syntax errors and im not sure what is wrong. Here is what I got let value=$1; while do let... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingrj46
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding Script Help

I need some help with my rouding script. I have started pretty much from scratch and have no idea if its correct or even close but I have been trying and have gotten to this point. i keep getting syntax errors and im not sure what is wrong. Here is what I got let value=$1; while do let... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingrj46
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding a decimal

Hi, I am currently using tcsh I am trying to round a decimal number to the ten-thousandths place For instance: 1.23456 is rounded up towards 1.2346 I am not looking for truncation, but for rounding. Anyone know how to do this with awk or expr? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miniwheats
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK rounding up numbers

Hi, I have managed to round up numbers by using the following command: echo "5.54" | awk '{printf "%.0f\n", $1}' result 6 How can I round up all the numbers in a column in a file and print the lines with the new calculated totals? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keenboy100
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding number, but....

Dear Experts, I'm trying to find a way to round a number but in this way: 14367.577 ---> 14000 I used the following to round the number to the closer integer: echo $var|awk '{print int($1+0.5)}' and also: xargs printf "%1.0f" However, they don't work for my above... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off decimal values

Hi Friends, This is my last post for today. My input file is chr1 100 200 chr1 123 300 chr1 300 400 chr1 420 520 chr10 132344343 132348674 When I try using this command awk '{v=($3+$2)/2; print $0"\t"v}' 1 This is my output chr1 100 200 150 chr1 123 300 211.5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restrict Rounding using Printf?

Hello, I am using bash shell on Linux OS, May i please know why is it rounding for big numbers but not for others, is there a workaround to print it as it is with out round off? printf '%'\''.2f\n' 9999999999999999999.99 10,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 printf '%'\''.2f\n' 99999999999999.99... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding off a decimal

How to round off a decimal number to higher whole number using ceil command in unix? Eg. 4.41 or 4.11 or 4.51 should be rounded off to 5. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayKumar28
11 Replies
Simplex(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      Simplex(3pm)

NAME
PDL::Opt::Simplex -- Simplex optimization routines SYNOPSIS
use PDL::Opt::Simplex; ($optimum,$ssize,$optval) = simplex($init,$initsize,$minsize, $maxiter, sub {evaluate_func_at($_[0])}, sub {display_simplex($_[0])} ); DESCRIPTION
This package implements the commonly used simplex optimization algorithm. The basic idea of the algorithm is to move a "simplex" of N+1 points in the N-dimensional search space according to certain rules. The main benefit of the algorithm is that you do not need to calculate the derivatives of your function. $init is a 1D vector holding the initial values of the N fitted parameters, $optimum is a vector holding the final solution. $optval is the evaluation of the final solution. $initsize is the size of $init (more...) $minsize is some sort of convergence criterion (more...) - e.g. $minsize = 1e-6 The sub is assumed to understand more than 1 dimensions and threading. Its signature is 'inp(nparams); [ret]out()'. An example would be sub evaluate_func_at { my($xv) = @_; my $x1 = $xv->slice("(0)"); my $x2 = $xv->slice("(1)"); return $x1**4 + ($x2-5)**4 + $x1*$x2; } Here $xv is a vector holding the current values of the parameters being fitted which are then sliced out explicitly as $x1 and $x2. $ssize gives a very very approximate estimate of how close we might be - it might be miles wrong. It is the euclidean distance between the best and the worst vertices. If it is not very small, the algorithm has not converged. FUNCTIONS
simplex Simplex optimization routine ($optimum,$ssize,$optval) = simplex($init,$initsize,$minsize, $maxiter, sub {evaluate_func_at($_[0])}, sub {display_simplex($_[0])} ); See module "PDL::Opt::Simplex" for more information. CAVEATS
Do not use the simplex method if your function has local minima. It will not work. Use genetic algorithms or simulated annealing or conjugate gradient or momentum gradient descent. They will not really work either but they are not guaranteed not to work ;) (if you have infinite time, simulated annealing is guaranteed to work but only after it has visited every point in your space). SEE ALSO
Ron Shaffer's chemometrics web page and references therein: "http://chem1.nrl.navy.mil/~shaffer/chemoweb.html". Numerical Recipes (bla bla bla XXX ref). The demonstration (Examples/Simplex/tsimp.pl and tsimp2.pl). AUTHOR
Copyright(C) 1997 Tuomas J. Lukka. All rights reserved. There is no warranty. You are allowed to redistribute this software / documentation under certain conditions. For details, see the file COPYING in the PDL distribution. If this file is separated from the PDL distribution, the copyright notice should be included in the file. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-02 Simplex(3pm)