Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Passing a variable into an awk script Post 302087713 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 5th of September 2006 08:44:44 AM
Old 09-05-2006
  1. why do you need a 'cat'?
  2. why do you need a 'grep'?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing awk variable to the shell script

hi; i have a file containing lines like: 1|1069108123|96393669788|00963215755711|2|0|941||;serv:Pps6aSyria;first:0;bear i want to extract the second, third and fourth record of each line and store it in a file ";" seperated this is what i wrote while read line do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a Shell Variable to awk

Hello, I have a file with 4 columns. An arbitrary example is shown below: a Tp 10 xyz b Tq 8 abc c Tp 99 pqr d Tp 44 rst e Tr 98 efg Based on the values in col 2 and col 3, I will execute another program. I have been running this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to awk

Hi, I'm new with this stuff, but I hope you can help me. This is what I'm trying to do: for id in $var; do awk '{if ($1 == $id) print $2}' merg_data.dat > neigh.tmp done I need that for every "id", awk search the first column of the file merg_data.dat which contains "id" and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matteo86
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variable to awk script

I want to pass a shell variable to awk script : # cat file PSAPSR3 3722000 91989.25 2 98 PSAPSR7 1562000 77000.1875 5 95 PSAPUNDO 92000 4087.5625 4 96 #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reboot
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk alias passing a value to a variable

I am trying to turn this into an alias with no luck. I would then like to put the alias into my bashrc file. I know awk is very picky about quotes. I have tried every version of quotes, single quotes, double quotes, and backslashes that I can think of. VAR=$(xrandr | awk '$2=="connected"{s=$1}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple variable to awk

Hi , can I pass more then one variable to awk using -v option? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variable to awk

Hello All, May i please why my shell variable is not getting passed into awk script. #!/bin/bash -vx i="1EB07C50" /bin/awk -v ID="$i" '/ID/ {match($0,/ID/);print substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH)}' /var/log/ScriptLogs/keys.13556.txt Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with passing variable

I have file called in in.txt contains with the below lines I want to display the lines between the value which I would be passing. one two three four five ten six seven eight Expected output if I have passed one and ten two three four five (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychbears
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)